Are shakes good for losing weight??

Options
Hi everyone I have been using slim fast shakes for a while. And I was wondering if anyone else out there had tried them or what kind of diet are you on that's working for you?? They helped me lose weight I lost about 10 or 15 pounds since I started them but sometimes I would like to swith it up?? Any ideas??

Replies

• bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I do a very healthy organic plant-based protein shake. The brand is Orgain. Super healthy nutrients, 24 g of protein, simple and fast to prepare. Look Orgain up on the Internet. You can go to the Orgain site or you can purchase it from eBay, Amazon etc. I prefer the vanilla bean and I can add cocoa or peanut butter if I choose. They have powder and ready to drink shakes. Meal replacement shakes. Diet shakes. And Orgain for kids. Created by a physician who had cancer and decided that all of the protein shakes they were out there we're not healthy so he created his own.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do you have a blender so that you can make your own?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you need a sustained calorie deficit, that's all. Shakes are aggressively marketed, that's all.
  • leighbaysdonald
    leighbaysdonald Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a very busy lifestyle and shakes are extremely convenient for me. Calories are calories but not all shakes are created equally. Try to find the ones with high protein and low sugars/carbs. I also love Quest bars. Cookies and cream and cookie dough are the best. They too are great for throwing in your purse to take with you. Good luck.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I find shakes and smoothies deliver a lot of calories without filling me up for long at all. I prefer to eat solid foods for the same amount of calories/macronutrients. But we're all different. If they fill you up then there's nothing wrong with shakes, it's just a different format for taking in your fuel. So long as you're counting your calories and maintaining a deficit then it's somewhat irrelevant.
  • Tonica0720
    Tonica0720 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi bellabonbons I will definitely loo into that because I have been using slim fast shakes and I would like to know if there is something healthier and better out there.
  • Tonica0720
    Options
    Yes RodaRose I do have a blender but I just don't know what kind of shakes to make myself they are healthy.
  • Tonica0720
    Options
    Hi sarabushby thank you they are only 210 calories per shake because I use fat free milk. And actually I'm on a low carb diet so so far they have been great and convenient for me and helped me lose some weight so for now I can't complain. Thanks for your reply
  • Tonica0720
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing. Good luck with all of your journeys and feel free to add me. It's nice to see others doing the same thing I'm doing.
  • lindastroud60
    lindastroud60 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use isagenix shakes. I use water or 30 calorie almond milk.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Tonica0720 wrote: »
    Hi bellabonbons I will definitely loo into that because I have been using slim fast shakes and I would like to know if there is something healthier and better out there.

Healthier and better? Well, there's nothing particularly unhealthy about Slim Fast. But real food is A LOT cheaper.

Also, Slim Fast is packed with carbs, which make me hungry. That's why I used to use Slim Fast as a weight gainer. It was very effective at helping me to gain weight (although again, it's pretty expensive compared to other shakes & shake mixes.
  • Tonica0720
    Options
    lindastroud60 are those good? Where can you purchase them at?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Hi sarabushby thank you they are only 210 calories per shake because I use fat free milk. And actually I'm on a low carb diet so so far they have been great and convenient for me and helped me lose some weight so for now I can't complain. Thanks for your reply

I'm not sure if I looked up the specific shake you're using, but the one i found has 24g carbs and 18g sugar. Not low carb, and you could definitely find one with better/healthier ingredients
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    lindastroud60 are those good? Where can you purchase them at?

Do not waste your money on an overpriced MLM product.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options

You do realize that fat free milk has more carbs than other milk don't you?
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I find protien shakes handy for on the go meals. Not slim fast, but a quality whey isolate which has a much better macro profile and less sugar than slim fast. One can only eat so much chicken..