Could 2+ bananas a day be bad for you?

Options
Since bananas are high in sugar I figured any of the sugar your body won't need will be stored as fat. Could 2+ bananas a day cause weight gain? I like to eat 2 a day.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Your body stores excess calories as fat. Depends what else you eat in a day to whether 2 bananas is too much.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Not if you are within your calorie limit.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I eat 1-2 every day lost 55 pounds eating them. If you have the calories there's no problem. Sugar is not evil, it's just sugar. Excess calories make people fat.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Banana Girl!!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical condition where you need to monitor your sugar (carb) intake? As PP said, if 2 bananas takes you into a calorie surplus, then yes you'll gain weight, If you're at/under your calorie goal for the day, then you won't gain. Sugar isn't a magical carb that makes you gain weight just because you eat it. I eat a lot of sugar every day and have lost a lot of weight.

I've had 2 bananas already. Not going to gain from it.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I've already eaten three and it's not dinner time yet.
    Weight loss comes down to calories.
    Eat at a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    No. It isn't an issue - look at your total diet and total calories not item x.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    It's not about the bananas but about all the rest you eat this day.
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think if I ate two or more bananas a day I'd get a stomach ache, but as long as you can fit them into your calorie budget for the day, it's fine.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Assuming that:

1. They fit in your calorie budget,

And

2. You still have enough calorie room to eat a good variety of other healthy food and meet your nutrient targets,

Eat as many as you like.

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I love bananas. I eat them everyday. Sometimes I even eat them with ice cream and chocolate, and it hasn't affected my weight loss one bit.
    Sugar isn't stored as fat. Surplus calories are, so you're good to go! Enjoy your bananas!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    debrag12 wrote: »
    Banana Girl!!!

Oh, please no. We can't go there.

Haha! This is one of the cases where It's okay to go there. She eats a lot of bananas, all those sugarz, but because she is not eating more calories than she burns (no matter how much she would like us to believe otherwise) those bananas are not being stored as fat.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some medical condition it doesn't matter how many bananas you eat. Weight loss is a simple matter of eating less calories than your body consumes. I eat all kinds of fruit on a daily basis and I've lost 60 pounds in the past 5 months.
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    No.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You can have my bananas when you pry them from my cold dead hands!
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Your body stores any energy you don't use as fat. Not just sugar. If you like bananas, by all means eat them. But if your calorie allowance won't let you, limit yourself.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Are you asking because George Takei shared this link http://www.higherperspectives.com/ripe-bananas-1833118700.html?utm_source=cleo&utm_content=inf_10_34_2&tse_id=INF_7d9706f02b9511e69519013b248da655 a few hours ago or was it just a coincidence? Sorry, had to ask.