What would you do in this situation? What should I do?

Options
I'm 5'4 and 112 pounds. I eat 2000 calories a day, and walk 3 miles six days a week. This week I have not exercised for 3 days (2 days without exercise is the maximum amount I allow myself, but there was a severe storm where I live yesterday, so I was stuck inside). And yesterday, I mistakenly ate an extra 180 calories (forgot to log a chocolate milk). The thing is, I'm recovering from an eating disorder and I'm not sure what to do. My instinct is to restrict by 200 today and walk 6 miles instead of 3. I can't tell if that's the healthy me talking or the disordered me. I'm so frustrated and angry with myself and I'm really confused. Please, what would you do? I'm just not sure anymore.

Replies

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Don't compensate! I used to be stuck in a cycle of binging and restricting, and now I avoid anything that might be anything like compensation. Those few extra calories (that's right, I'm calling 180 calories few) won't hurt. It was only one time. Forgive yourself and forget about it!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    What would I do? I would continue my diet as it was. No extra exercise or less calories. Just continue on.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    If it where me I would continue to eat the 2000 calories today and not worry about the extra 200 from yesterday. I would not punish myself and would not try to exercise more to make up for it. It's fine, it's only 200 calories . I would try not to worry about it
  • delineationfiguration
    delineationfiguration Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bluecat145 wrote: »
    I'm 5'4 and 112 pounds. I eat 2000 calories a day, and walk 3 miles six days a week. This week I have not exercised for 3 days (2 days without exercise is the maximum amount I allow myself, but there was a severe storm where I live yesterday, so I was stuck inside). And yesterday, I mistakenly ate an extra 180 calories (forgot to log a chocolate milk). The thing is, I'm recovering from an eating disorder and I'm not sure what to do. My instinct is to restrict by 200 today and walk 6 miles instead of 3. I can't tell if that's the healthy me talking or the disordered me. I'm so frustrated and angry with myself and I'm really confused. Please, what would you do? I'm just not sure anymore.

That is not the healthy you talking. Spend some energy on resolving that frustration and anger instead. If you have some techniques used in therapy, I would look to those. You should not feel this way due to the situation you just described.
  • Fatsofit123
    Fatsofit123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bless you Sweetie. The over analaysing is hard to shift, and I mean that kindly. I used to have a rather serious problem, so I understand to an extent. If you can just move on, for the average person this would not even be anissue tomorrow is another day. Hang in there, it seems to me you have made huge steps forward,keep stepping! Big (HUG) x.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    bluecat145 wrote: »

I'd say oops, I'd move on. I wouldn't do any extra exercise nor would I restrict my calories on future days. Not even if I went over by 1800 calories instead of 180. Not even if I went over by 3600 calories. If I went that far over, I'd probably step back and think about why it happened and how I could avoid a similar situation in the future, but in no case would I try to increase my future deficit. 180 calories wouldn't even warrant that, I'd just shrug that one off.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rottified wrote: »
    What would I do? I would continue my diet as it was. No extra exercise or less calories. Just continue on.

This
  • paulina1964
    paulina1964 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You are still in control. Don't compensate by restricting your day's in take. But enjoy a walk outside and instead of focusing the walk as a form of disciplining yourself. Just walk and enjoy the moment of breathing and taking in the beauty before you.
    Be kind to your inner self as much as the outer self!
    It is a new day!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would not think about it and just eat and exercise normally going forward.