Need help finding a good meal plan that I can stick with

Options
I have tried meal planning before with homemade egg wraps for breakfast, chicken and veggies for lunch, some sort of protein at dinner and fruit or cheese for snacks when I am in between meals. However, I no longer enjoy eggs at all. They make me sick to my stomach. Also, I do not like the taste of re-heated chicken and I love carbs (like pasta), so I end up failing to follow my schedule. Can some of you provide some tips or options that I can consider? Thank you.

Replies

• MilaVidaLoca
    MilaVidaLoca Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me. I was trying to do the low carb. I got to the point I hate eggs and chicken. SO instead I went back to low calorie which works better for me. In the mornings I will have oatmeal with almond milk and a banana. for lunch I think I'll have a tuna sandwich on wheat toast. Or sometimes chicken soup. Tons of veggies and minimum on the chicken, mostly for flavor.
  • zoelizjef95
    zoelizjef95 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the reheated chicken, but maybe having it in a seasoning would help with the taste? And if you love your carbs try going for something like brown pasta to start off with and you could eventually move onto something like lentils which will give you the same full feeling but is more nutritious. Add more veggies, and try and build up your meal planning a day at a time, try new things and don't worry if you stray, get back on track for the next meal or day! Good luck!

p.s. I also find writing everything down including what I have in my fridge/freezer/cupboards helps as I then know what I have to cook with
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I concur with @MissusMoon.
    Start with your favorite foods and make them fit your daily calorie target
    I made "healthy version 2.0" of my favorite food by some replacement:
    For example: I bake or grill chicken/fish instead of oil frying.
    I replaced sodas and commercial juices with either water, green tea and my own smoothies.
    I replaced flour pizza base with portabello mushroom caps
    Etc, etc, etc
    Good luck with your healthy journey
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others here. It's important that the plan can be adjusted to your evolving taste. Replace the things that don't work anymore, with something else. You don't have to eat eggs or reheated chicken, and you can eat pasta, rice and bread and whatever you like - I assume you are weighing and logging? Some ideas: Greek yogurt, nuts, oatmeal, sandwich, raw vegetables and dip, green salad with bulgur or pasta and tuna, grilled fish, steak, pork chops, chili, soups, smoothies. I suggest buying or borrowing a cookbook and just look for inspiration.
  • aquablue_1111
    aquablue_1111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What has helped me is I try to find new recipes if I start getting bored with my meals or tired of eating the same things.

Someone suggested www.skinnytaste.com for ideas and I love it. She has a great turkey meatloaf recipe so I've incorporated that now. I make it for dinner and take leftovers for lunch.

I love my carbs too! What's helped me is to have veggies when I have carbs, so I feel more full. I love raw carrots so I'll have that if I have spaghetti or pasta. Sometimes I'll pair it with some ranch dressing (Bolt dressings are very flavorful and low cal), if I feel I need a little 'pick me up'. Or I'll have salad with the main entree, to round out my meals.

I usually eat eggs as part of my breakfast but if I'm not feeling eggs on a particular morning, I'll swap it out for some yogurt. I like eating bread with butter for breakfast but lately I've gotten tired of it so I'm eating oatmeal with a little bit of honey or maple syrup.

It can be hard b/c chicken is such a low cal protein source so it's easy to gravitate towards it but there's no reason to only eat chicken for the rest of your life. =)
  • Suuzanne37
    Suuzanne37 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Try Fitmencook, "Kevin Curry". Free recipes are on his website and Instagram page. There is also an iPhone app with recipes and meal plans.
  • 5thHarmonyx
    5thHarmonyx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: 1 whole grain weetabix, skimmed milk and 1 banana

Dinner: wholemeal thin sandwich, philadelphia cream cheese lightest, slice of Turkey, tomato,lettuce and onion

Snack: carrot sticks/cucumber/celery with hummus

Tea: protein, veg, carb, fat

Snacks fruit or veggies
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Plans wouldn't work for me.. I like variety! I just eat what I feel like eating at the time as long as it fits my calories.
  • zoelizjef95
    zoelizjef95 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Plans wouldn't work for me.. I like variety! I just eat what I feel like eating at the time as long as it fits my calories.

I'm the same, I've tried them before and just failed to stick! What I've found helped is making sure I'm equally dividing my meals throughout the week between meat, fish and veggie, then I can cook something from one of them. Otherwise I found I was eating chicken 6 nights a week!