Protein Questions??

Options
I have lost 30 lbs and its time to put on the muscles. I started a very strict exercise program about 3 weeks ago and I cant figure out how much protein I should be getting. I know that you are supposed to keep it around 15-30% of your calorie intake but I have been told by my personal trainer that I cannot eat to much. He has suggested up to about 200 grams a day. I think this is a little excessive and I am not sure that my body is using it all. I am taking a protein shake after every work out and eating meat at every meal. I keep my calories around 1500 so I think my protein should be maxed at about 100 grams a day. Does anyone know more about protein than me? Thank you!

Replies

• timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    Options
    protein requirements are .8 g of protein for each lb of weight...200 pounds 161 g protein
    no more than 30 g of protein at a time, as the body has a hard time assimilating protein if injested too much
    I have books from scientific docs backing this and can quote it
    btw
    I am 5 11, 202 pounds, 48 inch chest, 15 per bodyweight, max bench press 375, 225 pound reps 30
    I started 30 y ago at 117 pounds and have been doing this 35 years
    let me know if I can help
    Tim
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    You wont be able to add muscle in a calorie deficit. 1500 calories is a deficit for a male. If you want to put on muscle, you inherently put on a small amount of fat. I would do 50% carbs, 30% Protein, and 20% fat for a mass building diet. Then when you get to a weight you want, then go back on a fat shredding diet, 50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fats to cut the fat off you gained during your muscle building phase.

I hope this helps.
  • timlord
    Options
    and you CAN eat too much/tell your PT to go back to school
  • DoctorWhoFan
    Options
    I've heard about different formulae for working out protein consumption when trying to build muscle.

1) 1g for every lb of your goal weight. I want to be 119lbs, so I should eat 119g of protein per day.
    2) 1g for every lb you currently weight. I'm 164lbs, so I should eat 164g.
    3) 1.5g-2g per kg you currently weigh. For example, I weigh 74.5kg at the moment, so ranging from 111g-149g per day.

So for me, it ranges from 119g-164g.

However at the moment, I am not trying to build muscle as such, so I stick to 1g per kg I currently weigh.

As you can see, it is so varied! There may be other ways of working it out, I'm not sure though.

Hope this helps.
  • timlord
    Options
    you wont have to shred if you maintain adequate cals, 2000 day, and protein 200-225 if you are exercising 5 times a week
    also add glutamine, and branch chain amino acids to your diet
    Tim L, CPT, ASFA, BS, MA, Doctoral Candidate, University of the Rockies, SPP
    do yourself a favor, seek advice fro a pro
    GOOD Luck!
  • timlord
    Options
    ps try 100 g a dy for 2 weeks, compare size , girth, and texture of bicep muscle
    then do 200 g a day for 2 weeks
    called scientific method and any trained pro would suggest this
  • travisjw18
    Options
    You are probably right because I feel like I am starving all the time. I have had a hard time staying at the 1500 calories that my PFT told me was fine. I have actually been eating around 1800-2000 a day. Thanks