I can't stop eating!!!

Options
Every time I lose some weight my body seems to think that I deserve to eat like a little piggy in a chocolate shop..
Purely out of habit I pick up things and eat them, logging them and know exactly how much of my daily allowance they're taking up!

Today my "I can eat at Mcdonalds 3 times a day 7 days a week and actually lose weight whilst sitting on the couch" boyfriend convinced me that it'd be fine to have Subway for lunch even though I had been looking forward to the particular soup I was supposed to have for lunch (with meatballs and pasta in and 238 calories).
After I'd eaten that for lunch I automatically started reaching for the snacks and ate about an extra 700 or so extra un-needed calories....
In an hour I'm going to work (in a fish and chip shop - temptation or what!!!) and really hope I can manage until 9pm (UK currently 3.50pm) without eating anything as I have already gone over my days calories...
Now planning in some serious extra exercise (all low impact due to a recovering broken ankle!!) there are definately limits to what you can do to workout whilst not moving about too much....

Got down to 178lbs about a week ago, went back up to 185 before dropping back to 177 this morning (all morning weigh-ins completely starkers and having emptied every last drip from my bladder!)

Anyone else have these problems?

Replies

• bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might be one of the people who needs to give up everything but the healthy stuff for a while... But subway isn't really unhealthy... you just need to be careful what you pick.

And don't skip a meal... it will just leave you hungry. It's better to be over a little bit with some healthy food (your soup for example) than to be starving and end up binging on something. :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    By reading your post it's clear that it is your mind and not your body that is telling your these things. Your body doesn't need or want that type of junk food or that many calories. So ask yourself "why am I really eating this?" It's not because you are hungry, because healthy food would satisfy hunger just as well. Like any type of destructive behavior, breaking the psychological need for bad food is sometimes really hard. But it can be done. You CAN do it!
  • ShyBreasts
    ShyBreasts Posts: 91
    Options
    I get like that too!! It can be soo frustrating! Its like when I lose a bit of weight I feel thinner so I'm like 'ohh well I can have that it's okay!' I need to be stronger and say NO!

X
  • amhyb8
    amhyb8 Posts: 6
    Options
    OMG I have the exact same problem! It's like my body knows I'm burning more calories than I consume and then makes me ravenous to compensate. I don't have a solution to the problem yet, but since starting the paleo lifestyle (3 weeks and 4 lbs ago) things have been sooooo much easier. Maybe people like us are sensitive to carbs or something.
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    girl, I so feel your pain. only for me, it is damn Nutella! have sat down with the jar the last three nights. no clue why!! so frustrating. I had finally gotten to a 5 pound weight loss. then, we had an over night trip out of town last weekend. had my two cheat meals then, and managed to do okay. but, then, on Monday ended up having to go back out of town unexpectantly. I missed my workouts (usually do two classes on Monday) and ate out that night as well. and not something healthy!! and it is like I can't get back to my healthy state of mind from that. I have such a hard time flipping that switch back to healthy. so, I really think I need to go a while without cheating. it is just not worth it for me!! I am now back to 185, where I started. it is never ending!!
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Whenever you feel hungry, drink 20 oz of water and wait 20 min. if you are still hungry eat a small snack and then drink more water. Water and a few crackers usually will fill my belly for a while. Good luck and try to work on not going overboard with food whenever you see the scale drop.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    By reading your post it's clear that it is your mind and not your body that is telling your these things. Your body doesn't need or want that type of junk food or that many calories. So ask yourself "why am I really eating this?" It's not because you are hungry, because healthy food would satisfy hunger just as well. Like any type of destructive behavior, breaking the psychological need for bad food is sometimes really hard. But it can be done. You CAN do it!

This.

I am working with a therapist on what I thought were issues unrelated to food/eating. It's all connected for me, and while I still have episodes of crazy snacking, at least I'm aware of WHY I'm doing it (basically, I'm distracting myself from the real, painful issues by focusing on food...and then on my weight).

-LP
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I can emphasize, but subway isn't terrible! But if it is not what you wanted, you wont feel satisfied and then you will end up eating random things. Sometimes i think you have to be very aware of what you actually want to eat, and then give yourself that (within moderation of course)

I always try to remind myself too, that the smaller you get, the less calories you need to exist, and that helps me keep myself in check....sometimes. :)
  • fatkidlovescake
    fatkidlovescake Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes it's definately not my body wanting these things it's just old habits of reaching for junk foods.
    I'm also a type 1 diabetic so some of the "bad foods" are always around if I need to fix my low blood sugar.

I think I'll go back to the planning out every meal and not budging from my plans!!
    Part of it is I don't feel motivated to lose the weight as 22lbs down I haven't lost a SINGLE INCH!!!
  • beautybrainsbooty
    beautybrainsbooty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have gone through this phase for about 2 weeks. What you have to do is get a plan and stick to it and let your body reset itself.
    I know there are HUGE debates on carbs, but when I slice carbs from my diet my cravings for other bad foods seems to dissipate. Maybe try this and see! You'd be amazed what you can do when your body is not craving those sugar/carbs highs. Oh! And tons and tons of lemon water stops my 'I wanna eat three bags of sour gummy bears' in its tracks.

Be well!!!
  • Nogo
    Nogo Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    All I ever want to do is eat. Last night for supper I had a half cup of steamed brown rice and broiled tilapia followed with…Bugles (why!!). Right now I am at my desk wanting some Baked Lays that I know damn well I don't need. Like the post said about "breaking destructive habits" - it can be done!!! Heck, I quit smoking, why can't I quit eating crap food when I know I am full of good for me food. It is all about the mindset. Making the conscious decision and not letting the devil on your shoulder win when fat kid wants cake! "Mmmmm, cake" says my little devil...
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The problem with bingeing on fatty foods is that it doesn't actually fill you up or satisfy you for very long. So even though you've gone over calories you might still be hungry. Try to eat something healthy and low calorie like some vegetables/salad (no dressing, mayo, etc) if you are hungry today, otherwise you'll just end up getting starving and eating bad stuff instead!

Sounds like you need to be really strict with yourself for a bit and not deviate from your planned foods. It's weird that you've not lost any inches when you have lost so much weight. Are you doing any strength training? And what is your diet like? Is it possible that you are often bloated/constipated when you are weighing and measuring?
  • GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    ive been there!
  • fatkidlovescake
    Options
    I've always held a lot of muscle (even at my heaviest you could see my abs at the top) but no i'm not doing any strength training.
    When I gained the weight I put on about 4-5inches to my waist and only went up one dress size from UK 10-12 (US 6-8) to UK 12-14 (US 8-10) but I gained almost 5stone over a little more than a year!!
  • fatkidlovescake
    Options
    And diet wise, some days it's great other days it's a bit all over the place but I pretty much always get some fruits and veg in - most days also some crisps/chocolate but carefully chosen ones (usually under 100kcal per portion) although often more than one portion. I'm also trying really hard to pour down as much water as I can!
    My food diary should be open for viewing if anyone wants a look.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    You mentioned when you ate Subway you wanted to eat more correct? Subway breads have High fructose corn syrup and other processed ingredients in them (enriched), as well as their meats are not your freshest persay. It's definitely a better alternative than McDonald's for fast food, but nonetheless it is still ridden with processed ingredients which are known to increase appetite in almost anyone. I get the same way when I eat there or eat out in general!
  • fatkidlovescake
    Options
    I know, I don't think of Subway as healthy at all, if I had really wanted it I would've been quite happy with it - the Ham sub on plain bread is 262 according to their nutrition chart and then I added in 120 or so for the cheese, salad and light mayo but calories wise 380ish for lunch isn't bad for a sandwich - I just don't tend to eat sandwiches very often.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I loooove sandwiches (like Joey from Friends haha) but make them with whole wheat, whole grain bread. Keeps me full longer which is an accomplishment for me I too am hungry all the time!