how to go from size 18 to size 12 in under 1 and a half months

Options
is it possible as i have my birthday on the 15th of july and want to fit into a size 12 again so i can wear one of my dresses that i haven't worn for years

Replies

• Mitramonday
    Mitramonday Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Erm.......no! Not unless you starve yourself which isn't the idea for those on MFP. Forget about 'that' dress for this birthday - save it until next year! Go out and buy (or beg, borrow or steal) yourself a size 16 dress and enjoy your birthday as the start (well, nearly) of your new lifestyle regime of healthy eating! ;)
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Unless you sign up to one of those TV shows which strand you on an island for a month it isnt going to happen.

I would wildly guess you're talking somewhere in the region of 30-50 pounds. If you go all out and lose 2 a week you'll be well short of your goal.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't, doesn't seem healthy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Possible, maybe. Likely, probably not. One would have to be in a really big calorie deficit and many times that borders on eating too little.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    In order to go from a size 18 to a size 12 I had to lose 30 pounds. It took me six months to do this. Depending on the designer/manufacturer, I can now fit into a size 10, 12 or 14 US. Gotta love non-standardized sizing.

Even if I'd followed a more aggressive plan, losing 2lb per week, it still would have taken me almost 4 months to lose that weight.

With work you can get back into those size 12 dresses, but I don't think you are going to be able to do it by July 15. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer. It took most of us far longer than 6 weeks to put on the weight, so (unfortunately) it's probably going to take longer than 6 weeks to work it off, too.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    OP...don't listen to this. It's dangerous advice. No including fats, fiber and protein in your diet and just drinking juice is a very unhealthy practice. a 2lb per day weight loss is dangerous. I prefer what this poster said towards the end...the sensible part. You don't have as much weight to lose as the below poster..

What does this mean, though:
    "considering my diet was 100% macro."
    ?
    I tend to disagree with the responses here. While considering practical weight loss through a sensible diet and working out would prove difficult to get to your goals I think there's another healthy alternative.

Back in January 2013, I was 272LBS. After watching a documentary on a juicing diet, I bought a juicer, spend $80 on fruits and vegetables and started. I drank 4-5, 20oz drinks per day for two weeks, not eating anything and the results were exactly what I needed at the time. I lost 15LB the first week and 10LB week 2. I don't want to mislead you. This the is the toughest thing I had done for myself and I was forced to remain disciplined. The first few days I was depressed not being able to eat but after day 4, I realized my headaches were gone, I was losing 2LBS a day which kept me going and I all of a sudden felt mentally alert and energized considering my diet was 100% macro.

The key once I came off of this was to get myself into the gym which I did 6 days per week while switching over to eating eggs and water for breakfast and subway or chipotle for dinner. These were sensible meals, no cheese, mayo etc but my caloric and fat intake was low (1200 calories per day while I was burning approx 400). Most would say I wasn't eating enough and I agree I wasn't but I was 100LBS over weight so I felt it was best for me which I did over the next 5 months. 1/2 way through I implemented a cheat dinner day which I chose Saturday nights to eat/drink what I wanted. This got me down to 205 by July 2013. Today, I take in 1800 calories, high in protein (150grams), low in fat and carbs and I stick to complex carbs mostly even though I'll eat some bread with dinner out once in awhile. I cheat here and there with chocolate, yogurt and even cake and ice cream a few times per month but I feel so into my pattern that bad food like burgers & fries make me sick afterward. Fast forward to today, I'm down to 182LBS & feel great. I will still lose a few more but I no longer have a weight goal. It's more about how I feel and look has become my only goal but I admit I wouldn't mind getting to 172 to make my loss an even 100. Haha. I hope my story has helped in some sort of way. Best wishes!!
  • Day_knee
    Day_knee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This isn't healthy and isn't a good thread to have open. just my opinion though. I'd hate to think that anyone would be so foolish as to believe they can lose that much weight so quickly. The answer to the OP should be simply, no..there is zero healthy ways to accomplish this dramatic weight loss in such a short time and it isn't healthy to do so, then the thread should be closed so that others don't think this is something promoted in MFP.

p.s. not being harsh at all and I apologize, if it comes out that way, in advance. I just think entertaining someone who has such unrealistic ideas of how to drop so much weight in so little time is not worth the continual commenting on.
  • Day_knee
    Day_knee Posts: 85 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I tend to disagree with the responses here. While considering practical weight loss through a sensible diet and working out would prove difficult to get to your goals I think there's another healthy alternative.

Back in January 2013, I was 272LBS. After watching a documentary on a juicing diet, I bought a juicer, spend $80 on fruits and vegetables and started. I drank 4-5, 20oz drinks per day for two weeks, not eating anything and the results were exactly what I needed at the time. I lost 15LB the first week and 10LB week 2. I don't want to mislead you. This the is the toughest thing I had done for myself and I was forced to remain disciplined. The first few days I was depressed not being able to eat but after day 4, I realized my headaches were gone, I was losing 2LBS a day which kept me going and I all of a sudden felt mentally alert and energized considering my diet was 100% macro.

The key once I came off of this was to get myself into the gym which I did 6 days per week while switching over to eating eggs and water for breakfast and subway or chipotle for dinner. These were sensible meals, no cheese, mayo etc but my caloric and fat intake was low (1200 calories per day while I was burning approx 400). Most would say I wasn't eating enough and I agree I wasn't but I was 100LBS over weight so I felt it was best for me which I did over the next 5 months. 1/2 way through I implemented a cheat dinner day which I chose Saturday nights to eat/drink what I wanted. This got me down to 205 by July 2013. Today, I take in 1800 calories, high in protein (150grams), low in fat and carbs and I stick to complex carbs mostly even though I'll eat some bread with dinner out once in awhile. I cheat here and there with chocolate, yogurt and even cake and ice cream a few times per month but I feel so into my pattern that bad food like burgers & fries make me sick afterward. Fast forward to today, I'm down to 182LBS & feel great. I will still lose a few more but I no longer have a weight goal. It's more about how I feel and look has become my only goal but I admit I wouldn't mind getting to 172 to make my loss an even 100. Haha. I hope my story has helped in some sort of way. Best wishes!!
    [/quote]

And.....THIS is the reason this thread should be closed! /shakingmyhead
  • stajieenikkie
    stajieenikkie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No it's taken me 2 months to loose 45 pounds and I do everything gym 5 days a week...I want to be smaller for my 30th birthday and I have til August and want to loose 23 more in 2 months
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    It took me two and a half, almost three months of complete and utter dedication to my deficit and exercise to make it from a 16/18 to a 12 ( and I credit that shift mostly to my having a straighter body type). I think 6 weeks likely isn't realistic for that kind of transformation, sorry :( . But like a PP said this is a great opportunity for a new dress! Find something fabulous in your current size and enjoy your other dress later on!
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    In order to go from a size 18 to a size 12 I had to lose 30 pounds. It took me six months to do this. Depending on the designer/manufacturer, I can now fit into a size 10, 12 or 14 US. Gotta love non-standardized sizing.

Even if I'd followed a more aggressive plan, losing 2lb per week, it still would have taken me almost 4 months to lose that weight.

With work you can get back into those size 12 dresses, but I don't think you are going to be able to do it by July 15. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer. It took most of us far longer than 6 weeks to put on the weight, so (unfortunately) it's probably going to take longer than 6 weeks to work it off, too.

Now, this is an interesting example of everyone losing weight differently.

I've lost 35lbs over 6 months. I was a size 18 (maybe going on 20).... I went clothes shopping yesterday and I'm about a size 16 right now.
  • deziray92
    deziray92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I went from an 18 to a 12 in 5 months. Had to lose 45 lbs to get there...losing that month in that amount of time is highly unhealthy and you will gain it back before you can blink your eyes. Slow n steady wins the race hun. I'm sure you'll look great no matter what size dress you wear!
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    #headdesk