LIST OF FOODS

Options
Could someone please tell me where I can print out a list of foods that help a person gain weight? My husband has cancer and is starting to lose some weight and would like to know what he can do to gain some of it back. Thanks for your help.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    We are living in a time when medical science is rapidly advancing in the war against cancer. Your husband has an excellent fighting chance, so fight.

From https://www.verywell.com/energy-density-in-foods-2506872

High Energy Density Foods
    Energy-dense foods include sweets, deep-fried foods, French fries, pasta, starchy vegetables, thick sauces, cheese, nuts and seeds. Not all energy-dense foods are bad for you -- but you need to watch your portion size when you eat them.

Some foods, like soups and beverages, can have high or low energy density.

Broth-based soups with vegetables typically have low energy density while creamed soups are energy-dense. Non-fat milk is less energy-dense than regular milk, and diet soda is less energy-dense than a sugary soft drink.
  • katlovers2
    katlovers2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jerome. His is slow growing and in his stomach so they can't operate on it. He is still working and keeping busy so that helps. He hasn't been sick, just tired and losing weight. He is using a chemo pill so that seems to be helping. He is just losing weight. Thanks for your help.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    My father-in-law was recently diagnosed and has been undergoing chemo and radio therapies. He lost weight during this treatment and our experience was that he was not keen to eat the typical "three meals a day" and resorted to grazing and snacking on whatever he felt like.

Preparing foods in advance was pointless because there was a high likelihood that he would not feel like that food over the next few days.

To counteract this, we attempted to up the calories of anything that he felt like eating. He would often ask for toasted crumpets, to which we'd slather on masses of butter and jam. Similar, if he felt like ice cream (which he did a few times) we would ensure that it was a full cream version.

A couple of times he asked for mashed potatoes and sausages - I made these with loads of butter and added cream to the potatoes. The sausages were the best quality I could find and I made onion gravy with the cooking juices from the sausages.

I think that in your circumstances calories are king and you can take a back seat on what might be a "balanced/healthy" meal plan*. If he likes cheese, nut butters, nuts, bacon, or steaks I'd be getting as much of those as I could into him.

* except to take into consideration any dietary requirements stipulated by his care team. FIL had a "fluids per day" target which we managed (by a mixture of threats and enticement) to adhere to.

Best wishes with it.
  • katlovers2
    Options
    Thanks StealthHealth
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My Dad went through radiation for vocal chord cancer about 10 years ago. One thing that helped him was to limit foods with high acidity, this my help your husband as well with stomach cancer and taking the chemo pill. We did make him big bowls of fruit salad every week for him to snack on at will and he always got full fat ice cream and any other full fat food item he wanted. Lots of pasta with alfredo sauce and meatballs and meatloaf with mashed potatoes.
  • katlovers2
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions.