Pull Ups Before Bulking?

Options
Saw something on a blog post suggesting a male should not be bulking unless they can do double digit pull-ups.

Thoughts?

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an incredibly arbitrary criterion to me. For starting a bulk, body fat is a more important consideration than strength level. If someone is thin and weak because they have very little muscle mass, then they would be a good candidate for a bulk.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    In theory if you're too fat to do that many pulls ups then you shouldn't be bulking, but as the guy above me said that doesn't account for the thin and weak. Or the fat and strong. I can do double digit pull ups, but I need to be cutting, not bulking. Body fat % is a much better determination.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That is senseless criteria. A better one is if your BF% is 15% or more, you should be cutting and not bulking.
    This is because the leaner you are, the less fat you tend to add as you bulk. 15% is also not a magical number, but a convenient point where most people add less fat when gaining weight if under that. As always, your mileage may vary based on individual circumstances.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think it's dumb.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    This is stupid
  • Rom3oJuli3tt
    Rom3oJuli3tt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sounds dumb
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Gotta agree w/ the other posts above me....stupid criteria
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    tross0924 wrote: »
    In theory if you're too fat to do that many pulls ups then you shouldn't be bulking, but as the guy above me said that doesn't account for the thin and weak. Or the fat and strong. I can do double digit pull ups, but I need to be cutting, not bulking. Body fat % is a much better determination.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I would agree not a good criteria for someone extremely skinny and weak or on the other end of the scale a very strong powerlifter. How about the people in the middle? I don't see guys doing double digit pull ups places I've been that are over the 12-15% or so bodyfat recommended to start bulking. Thinking that for most of us a lower level of BF goes with the ability to bang out a bunch of pull ups.

This is the blog post referenced:
    http://zacheven-esh.com/how-to-get-built-like-a-brick-*kitten*-house/

Author's thoughts:
    "Let us not forget your ability to dominate bodyweight movements such as chins, dips and rope climbs. Don't gain fat and excess body weight if you can't pull yourself up for double digit reps or perform dips and push up variations for high reps."
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I think bulking comes down to a personal preference more than anything....not some arbitrary pull up count.

I can strap a 45 lb plate to me and do 14 reps....but for now, I am not bulking cause it's summer....

Look in the mirror and decide what you want to do.

I will say if you don't have a good foundation of muscle and you are sitting ~15% BF or higher....then IMO, bulking is a dumb thing to do.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    tross0924 wrote: »

Thanks for the thoughts.

I would agree not a good criteria for someone extremely skinny and weak or on the other end of the scale a very strong powerlifter. How about the people in the middle? I don't see guys doing double digit pull ups places I've been that are over the 12-15% or so bodyfat recommended to start bulking. Thinking that for most of us a lower level of BF goes with the ability to bang out a bunch of pull ups.

Still doesn't make sense, even for people in the middle. I can get up to around 18% or so at the end of my bulks and still hit 30+ pull ups. If you want to get strong and grow muscle as fast as possible, then bulk. If you think you are too fat, then cut or recomp. The only reason to get sub-15% before starting a bulk is because you get a hormonal advantage that will probably allow you to add a more favorable muscle/fat ratio. Note that there is nothing about strength levels in Lyle's article here:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html/

ETA: There is barely any specific advice in that article you linked, and zero science. The author's intent here seems to be more of a reference to staying functionally fit and active while strength training since he also mentions running in the next paragraph.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Absurd parameter. Goals should be based on how you want to look and health.