Cheat Day Guilt?

Options
So over the last month, I have been eating healthier and exercising regularly. After seeing some results and actually enjoying my get up and go after a work out, my husband was in town for the Memorial Day holiday (he works out of town) and we enjoyed the holiday with LOTS of food. Immediately after eating, I felt regret and guilty for ruining my results with all that food. After that day, I took the week off and continued to eat unhealthy because of that guilt. Does this happen to anyone else? Needless to say, I drug my butt out of bed at 5AM this morning and jumped back on the exercise routine.

Replies

• megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've done that before after Christmas or birthdays or holidays. And always end up bigger. Just get back on it, dust yourself off and try again, the sooner the better. This is a marathon not a sprint so a brief comfort rest isn't going to do too much damage.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I fell off the wagon my first time around, after losing 50lbs. And ended up putting almost all of it back on.

My #1 rule now is, I CAN have logging breaks (for important things like birthdays, holidays, vacations etc - because otherwise the stress and anxiety of having to log other peoples cooking would be too much on days that heavily revolve around food). I CAN have days where I intentionally go over my calories. But while doing so, I try my best to stop eating as soon as I feel full, to have my regular low calorie breakfast if I'm going out for dinner so the whole DAY isn't a write-off, to try my best to have a plate that is mostly veg, some grain/starch, appropriate portion of meat...

And then, as soon as that time has passed, immediately back to routine. No guilt involved, just an understanding that I probably won't see a drop on the scale this week.

ETA: Another important thing for me: always make the splurge worth it. If I'm eating above my deficit, it's going to be something 100% delicious. Like the local, family-owned Chinese takeout by my house. Or Little Louie's turkey burgers.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I used to be bad about that - continuing with the "bad behavior" after a day or two of "cheating." However, I am working hard at having a different/better relationship with food. Instead, I thoroughly enjoy the days I eat over my calorie budget (it's not "bad"), knowing I need a break once in a while, and I know that very soon I will be back on point with my eating. I am so much more forgiving of myself. Besides, we only have one life - why feel guilty over extra calories? :)
  • willworkoutforwine
    willworkoutforwine Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also fell off the wagon over Memorial Day weekend, although it was mostly planned. I gave myself a "pass" because I went to the Indy 500, and I ended up eating poorly and drinking a lot over 2 days. I am kicking myself now because I gained 2lbs and haven't been able to get an ounce off in the past week. But, I'm back on track and I'll get there. You will, too. Don't beat yourself up too much. We can't change what's done but we can impact the future!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Feeling bad about cheat days/meals was one of the reasons I started incorporating all my favourite foods/dishes every day, just as long as they fit my calories and I am honest with my logging. I eat everything that I like without guilt and still lose weight. My cheat days would easily wipe out my weekly deficit, so I stopped them. One does not have to eat 'healthy' to achieve weight loss. My 85lb loss and perfect blood panels is proof of that.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    You will stand a much better chance of succeeding and living in the presence, having no regrets when you actually *like* what you do and be accountable for your actions.

I enjoy lots of foods on weekend and holidays and I don't turn away, don't have conflicting emotions. I'm there all the way. That's because I enjoy foods and occasions. Then, on days that I want to lose some weight, I am also there (cutting back) all the way. It's not hard since I like any way I do. There's no feeling of out of control, having mindless actions.

Good luck.

• LondonSuz
    LondonSuz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    someone made a great analogy once on here that I read. What do you do when you get a flat tire? Do you slash all the other tires and abandon the car as junked? Or do you replace the tire, to keep going?

If you have one day where you eat over your planned calories, don't just slash more days' worth of logging. Log every day, even the days when you go off plan. Log, accept, move on. Tomorrow doesn't have to be off plan just because today was.

Love love love this! So needed it today too, battled my binge-monster over the past few days, has been hard and managed it until today when caved.

However, I've logged it all, drawn a line under it and am back on it. Totally wasn't worth it and didn't enjoy it either but is done now and moving on.
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss journey, the cheat days made me feel like terrible. Now, when I look back at the big picture, the cheat days were merely bumps on the road, meaningless anomalies, and they had very little impact on my overall weight loss. The most damaging impact of the so-called cheat-days is what they can do to your morale. If you pick yourself up and stick to your plan, there will be no harm done.