Foster caring - Anyone do it/done it?

Options
Ollyollyr
Ollyollyr Posts: 11 Member
Just a quickie, I am just booking myself some appointments to meet agencies with a view to becoming a Foster Carer.

I have been reading as much as I physically can find about the subject, but just wondered if there was anyone here that does it or has done it that is happy to share their experience.

I am single guy with no kids of my own and I have reached the stage where I think this is the best option for me, and an opportunity for me to give a bit back.

Replies

• Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Great, there are so many kids that need homes.
    Sorry I have never done it but I had an aunt and uncle who have. Understand that they may have issues. Things they have seen with their parents, or in the foster homes. My cousin witnessed abused several times before finally being adopted. For the most part he was okay. But when my aunt and uncle tried fostering again it went horrible the first night. The two young girls attack both my cousins in the middle of the night.

I am in no way trying to scare you from fostering but I want anyone who does want to foster to understand the possibility that it wont go well.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    It is a great experience however if and when you have to give them back to the birth parents can be very emotional. It is a much needed thing. Good Luck
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    Hi!!!
  • Ollyollyr
    Options
    haha thanks Kinky, it's an exciting time!!
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think it's a wonderful thing to give a child a chance. I have a cousin who had some kids taken away and we're eventually adopted. it's nice to think people care and will love kids that aren't their flesh and blood.
  • Ollyollyr
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    I think it's a wonderful thing to give a child a chance. I have a cousin who had some kids taken away and we're eventually adopted. it's nice to think people care and will love kids that aren't their flesh and blood.

Yeah I was adopted, and I just think that I've been so lucky with my experience that I really want to pass that on.
  • Move4Abs
    Move4Abs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderful and challenging commitment. Have you considered getting together with any Foster parent/family support programs in your area? They really are the ones that will be able to tell you exactly what to expect, challenges and rewards.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I thought as a single parent you wouldn't be allowed to foster. I don't remember where I read that though

I think they prefer married couples, but a single person can be a foster parent. They have to have a back up provider though, in case they get sick or are absent for any reason.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I worked for a single guy who was trying to become a Big Brother and had to jump through lots of hoops because they liked married people better. However that was like 15 years ago at least (eek). Not that fostering is the same but I can see where they might give preference to married people but might as well try