What counts as water

Options
Other than just regular water intake, does black tea count towards your water intake? Are there any other liquids that you can count towards your water intake? Any information you have would greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Any liquid you drink that contains water counts as water with perhaps the exclusion of alcoholic drinks.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Any liquid. I prefer not to count anything that has calories or caffiene, but that's personal preference. Everything liquid that you drink can count toward your water goal.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Personally I only track plain water as water--everything thing else (black coffee, tea, diet soda, etc.) I track as a beverage with my meals.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Only plain filtered/unfiltered water should be tracked as a cup of water. Tea, Coffee, and other beverages are their own food items.
  • healthykaitlin
    healthykaitlin Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't count anything with caffeine as water. However, I do count my Polar seltzer as water
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Everything wet except booze (because it dehydrates you). There used to be a rule that anything with caffeine didn't count because it's a diuretic but that was debunked.

I don't track water anyway. Your body knows when it's thirsty, drink lots of drinks with no calories.
  • btodd304
    btodd304 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I only consider water as water. I used to think tea was the same as water but it has caffeine in it which can dehydrate you.
  • Lajoiefamily5
    Lajoiefamily5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the feedback.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    All beverages count as water. You want to log them under food if they have calories, but they can also be logged as water if you're keeping track. Tea, coffee, soda etc. are not dehydrating, nor does the water in them become not water when the other ingredients are added.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I only count water as water. Lucky for me, I don't have problems consuming a lot of water.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Only plain filtered/unfiltered water should be tracked as a cup of water. Tea, Coffee, and other beverages are their own food items.

Why?

I can't drink plain water because I find it disgusting. I'm pretty sure Crystal Light isn't a "food item".
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Mayo clinic, and other experts, say most people get enough water from the food and beverages they consume.
    Thirst is an indicator of the need for water.
    There are things to take into consideration too, like, activity level, climate etc.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I count the water I drink that is mixed with a flavor packet as water. I try to limit myself to two 17oz bottles per day and get the other 100oz plain
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't track water, but almost everything that contains water counts towards hydration, including vegetables, fruits, soups, milk...etc.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Water from the faucet, water from the fridge tap, bottled water, water from the hose (but I don't recommend that lol)... pretty much sums up what counts as water. Water.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Water does not cease to be water when things are added to it. Water instead celery is still water, crystal light is still almost all water, tea? Almost entirely water...also you don't really need to track it. The water companies have funded these ridiculous studies that tell you to make your teeth float with nothing but unadulterated pure water. Your body magically tells you when you need water, it's called thirst.
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers used to tell their members to count only water and water mixed with a flavring substance such as Crystal Light counted as "water". Now they tell their members that tea, coffee, etc. count as "water". There's no reason to exclude other beverages except personal preference, I guess.
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    And WebMD agrees. You need to be hydrated, and you can get that from foods as well as beverages. There's a reason it's called "watermelon", after all.