Whole milk or almond milk????

Options

Replies

• tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Whole milk on the cereal and any protein shakes. Cream in coffee (which I rarely drink) or diet root beer for a nice treat.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant so I don't have much choice but I like the unsweetened and think it tastes like milk. I mix it in with my oatmeal and my wife cooks with it. Someone told me last weekend "did you realize how much sugar they add to skim milk?" I would have never thought to look at ingredients in milk.
  • Sassie_Lassie
    Sassie_Lassie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Whole raw milk all the way.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I am lactose intolerant so I don't have much choice but I like the unsweetened and think it tastes like milk. I mix it in with my oatmeal and my wife cooks with it. Someone told me last weekend "did you realize how much sugar they add to skim milk?" I would have never thought to look at ingredients in milk.

...there is no sugar "added" to skim milk unless you're adding some syrup of your own. The sugar in milk is called lactose (hence lactose intolerance) and occurs naturally.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Its entirely your choice based on preference and other ethical or moral positions you may have regarding the treatment of animals and almonds, and their impact on the environment!

This. ^^^^ Because almond agriculture sucks water like crazy.
  • hyocum98
    hyocum98 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Almond!!! You are not a baby cow,there is no reason to drink a mother cow's milk! There are many many non-dairy milks so make sure you try them and see what you like best (i like vanilla flavored almondor regularcashew milk myself)
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste of almond milk, can afford it and it fits in with you calorie and macro/micro goals then go for it.
    Personally I wouldn't pay 3 - 4 times the price for something that I don't like much, but that's irrelevant, this is not about me.
    Oh, and the one I bought was disgusting in coffee, so that was a deal breaker right there. Usually I drink black coffee but I enjoy using my espresso machine to make a good latte on the weekend and skim milk works perfectly for that whereas almond was a disaster.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    hyocum98 wrote: »
    Almond!!! You are not a baby cow,there is no reason to drink a mother cow's milk! There are many many non-dairy milks so make sure you try them and see what you like best (i like vanilla flavored almondor regularcashew milk myself)

Using that same rationale/propaganda, I'm not a baby almond either, so there must be no reason for me to drink an almond's milk, right?

I was thinking the same thing.
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk - and I believe Alpro will do unsweetened, original and sweetened too which appeals to different tastes :smile:

I would also recommend Alpro chocolate soy milk. AMAZING stuff!
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

And eating honey is stealing food from bees.

• sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I find almond milk far less satisfying than either soy or cow milk since it has barely any protein or fat. Both protein and fat help me stay sated for longer.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    i use unsweetened vanilla cashew milk for my smoothies and cereal.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    try it if you like

there is also a lot of choices between the two types of milks you have posted about OP
  • coco095
    coco095 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I prefer silk vanilla almond milk unsweetened. it tastes pretty amazing and is super low calorie. If I want more protein I drink silk vanilla soymilk. Not all non dairy milks are the same so if you do decide to switch you should try a couple of brands and flavors to find what you like and suits you best. :)
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Oh, the "not a baby cow" argument...again.

OP, others have listed the pros and cons of each and how it works out for them, so you just have to do what works for you. If you like regular milk but not the calories, then try another kind of milk. If that doesn't work out for you, then stay with regular milk and make it fit into your calories.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

So I guess we can assume you also don't eat cheese, yogurt, butter, ice cream, etc. either?
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

From one vegan to (presumably) another: knock this *kitten* off. OP came here asking for advice, not a lecture.

OP: it depends on why you're wanting to make the switch. Why, out of curiosity, are you keen on almond milk?

There are many non-dairy milks about there, if you're concerned about cutting dairy from your diet, or having a healthy alternative. There's soy, rice, cashew (my personal favorite - so creamy!), oat, and more unique/expensive ones like hemp, quinoa, and so on. Your preference will depend on if you like sweet vs plain, creamy vs thin, flavored vs unflavored, if calories are a concern, and so forth.

Unsweetened vanilla almond and cashew milk are good if you're looking for a lower-calorie milk to add to, say, smoothies or cereal. Unsweetened, plain almond/cashew milk are good substitutes in creamy dishes like macaroni and cheese or desserts.

There's no reason to switch, if you don't want to. I personally prefer non-dairy milks after having had them so long, but YMMV!
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options

So I guess we can assume you also don't eat cheese, yogurt, butter, ice cream, etc. either?

To be fair, they probably don't.

Like... I understand her point but jfc, OP didn't ask for a lecture about the horrors of the dairy industry.