Going to the Grocery Today

Options
Jorra
Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
I'm getting sick of the same old stuff, I'm still gonna buy it, but I need a few things to spice up my days.

Anyone have something good you think I should try? I prefer things that are low carb, high protein, and low sodium, but I can be persuaded if it's really good and healthy.

Replies

• thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Are you thinking for meals or snacks?
  • Jorra
    Options
    Are you thinking for meals or snacks?

I eat smaller meals which tend to be more like snacks, but I'm up for all suggestions.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump..... I am always lookin for new ideas :)
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    This week I started making liquid egg whites with diced tomatoes and shredd part-skim mozz cheese. So good and it has tons of protein and is low carb. You adjust your serving size of egg whites to how hungry you are. I was making a cup worth, but a 1/4 cup is one serving.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Fooooooooooooooooooooooooood!

Get some fish for grilling. Maybe some legumes, rice, fresh veggies, Turkey, chicken, Low fat yogurt, fresh fruit.

Make some sausage stew with fresh or frozen veggies. Maybe grill some turkey burgers or chicken.
  • bkweibel
    bkweibel Posts: 77
    Options
    Laughing Cow Cheese is GREAT and it can go in practically anything! I suggest checking out hungry-girl.com before you go. It has great recipes. The other day, I made her pina colada oatmeal and I've also tried her alfredo sauce (which uses laughing cow, fat free parm, and fat free sour cream...and that's it!!!) I find it is a great place to go when I need to switch things up.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Egg beaters
    Humus / naked pita chips
    Avacados
    Whole wheat spaghetti
    Almonds / nuts
    Salmon / fish
    Fiber One 90 bars - they don't taste like cardboard!
    and, of course VEGGIES!!
    Happy shopping :happy:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I say go to the store and take your time looking around. Don't just look for the things you always buy. I like to try a different store every once in a while because it forces me to look around, because no two stores are the same. Read lables. Check out what looks good today in the produce section. Before you leave look online for healthy light recipes. You will have a lot more options and you can choose which ones you like.
    I love taking time in the market just to research my healthy options. As long as you don't have screaming kids with you?
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I actually took sliced roast beef and light swiss cheese and rolled them together for a quick breakfast on the go today. It was actually very filling and only 220 calories.

Also what about laughing cow cheese spead on a few wheat thins, apples or celery with peanut butter. what about trying a plain greek yogurt, sprinkle in a little ranch dressing seasoning and dip veggies in it. That would give you some good protein and a serving of veggies too.

Can't wait to see others suggestions.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Rice noodles can be fun in a variety of dishes. They have a slightly different texture than regular noodles. You can grill chicken with pretty much any kind of mustard for some great flavors. You can also make a 'version' of a pancake using egg (either whites or whole) crushed oatmeal (I put it into the food processor), cinnamon, water, other flavorings to your taste (vanilla, banana, etc). You will have to play with your ratios to get it to the texture that you like, but this ends up being low carb, high protein, and can feel like you are really cheating! Sweet potatoes - slice thin, sprinkle with cinnamon and either grill or bake until crispy - yummy, sweet, vitamin rich snack.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    It is summer fresh veggies for grilling and pineapple is really good right now!
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Something that has helped me is buying new spices... All of the Mrs. Dash flavors are no salt and really good. My fav right now is the Fiesta Lime. It is really good on Chicken, Pork, and all kinds of veggies. (esp. asparagus!)
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Tuna
    Cottage Cheese
    New spices...that can make a HUGE difference..
    Maybe some new veggies you havent tried

Good luck and let us know what you find!
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    bump :flowerforyou:
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If you haven't tried it, get some okra! I absolutely love it (boiled, not the fried junk). It's kind of gooey sometimes but I think it's so delicious, and it's low calorie
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    This month's Fitness Magazine has 5 pages of "snack" ideas, and each one lists the cals, sodium, etc so you can make a good choice. My faves are the Skinny Cow ice cream bars, Wholly Guacamole, Sabra hummus (w baby carrots), mini babybel cheese, and York Pieces for my chocolate fix, also the Food Should Be Good white cheddar tortilla chips.
    Let us know what good things you find :)
  • Jorra
    Options
    I say go to the store and take your time looking around. Don't just look for the things you always buy. I like to try a different store every once in a while because it forces me to look around, because no two stores are the same. Read lables. Check out what looks good today in the produce section. Before you leave look online for healthy light recipes. You will have a lot more options and you can choose which ones you like.
    I love taking time in the market just to research my healthy options. As long as you don't have screaming kids with you?

I have tried going to different stores and just walking around, I find it hurts my budget. I see too many awesome things I want to try (usually all expensive things too!) That's why I like to plan out ahead of time so I don't go crazy buying the entire natural section of the store.
  • Jorra
    Options
    For anyone who is wondering, here's what I ended up getting. It's a lot of the same, but a few new things. (I'm not including the not-so-healthy food my fiancee wanted, hehe)

Condensed tomato soup (high in potassium)
    Chicken Breasts
    Top Round Steaks (for a recipe we are making next week)
    Honeysuckle 97/3 ground turkey (LOVE this stuff)
    Snow peapods
    Kale
    Peanuts in shell
    Weight watchers swiss cheese wedges (They don't carry Laughing Cow at my store :P)
    Light sour cream
    Assorted Chobani yogurts
    1% Milk
    No sodium beef bullion (to flavor TVP)