2,200 bike calories Saturday

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
My power meter measured 1,948 kilo-Joules, which comes out to somewhere between 2,142 and 2,240 kCals. Here's how MFP summarizes it:
burned 1,947 calories doing 263 minutes of Bicycling, 10-12 mph, light (cycling, biking, bike riding)

"Light" my *kitten*. Here's what my Garmin says:
47 miles round trip; 26 miles of dirt and gravel
4,419 feet elevation gain
4 hours 23 minutes moving time
0.992 intensity factor
416.3 training stress score
93 degrees F

Here are some pics from the ride. This is Cascade River Road in North Cascades National Park.

27501578925_f3e3442cbc_o_d.jpg

26892109234_eec7171d7f_o_d.jpg

The first of two bear sightings.

27501578755_59041396c5_o_d.jpg

My bike, at the top:

27467049136_04696054f5_o_d.jpg

The road below.

26892109074_7f4126ee69_o_d.jpg

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Wow. Awesome accomplishment. MFP is way off on stats, imho.
    Beautiful ride, too bad it was so hot.
    How do you feel today?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Beautiful ride! Love the scenery. Glad someone is out there having fun. So this road is open from June - October... ish? How often can you ride out here?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Beautiful ride! Which power meter are you using?
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I feel pretty good today. :smile: Yesterday my legs felt pretty tight, Saturday my shoulders were sore too. Yesterday I had a very leisurely swim and a walk, otherwise I took it pretty easy (except for a strength workout last night).

The road is still gated 3 miles from the top, it's easy to go around on a bike but not in a car. It's in good shape up above, NPS probably hasn't sent anyone up there yet this spring. But June to late October is about right.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Beautiful ride! Which power meter are you using?

Garmin Vector 2. Got it last spring when I only had a skinny tire road bike. At this point, mountain pedals and shoes would be more appropriate for me (it was a challenge getting to more water sometimes) but otherwise I like it.
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,771 Member
    Options
    Damn the vectors are too expensive for me, i was waiting for watteam's new stuff. I have the same issue with MFP in terms of light, feck you Mfp come do these inclines and tell me that *kitten* is "light"
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I ride the trails myself - but as a flat-lander. I know when I get off the KATY trail and jump on the road, my speed shoots up 3 or 4 mph with the same effort.

The MFP calorie estimates have to be based on brand-new asphalt-surfaced glass-smooth road-rides with a tail wind.

Beautiful pics BTW.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    What bike is that?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Looks like some beautiful country.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Wow that is some awesome burning. And gorgeous riding route.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Amazing job. With gorgeous scenery like who could resist biking. Way to go!
  • rmfindleyjr
    rmfindleyjr Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Beautiful Country!!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    What bike is that?

GT Grade, in carbon, with SRAM Force 22.

Previous bike was a Cervelo R3 SL, I got hit by a car doing hill repeats, when I was recovered enough, Performance Bike was running a sale on the Grade. I have 28 mm tires on now, will probably go to 32 or 35 mm when they wear out. My Cervelo couldn't go wider than 23 mm. So I'm having a lot of fun exploring all the dirt roads I could never do before. :smile:
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    The MFP calorie estimates have to be based on brand-new asphalt-surfaced glass-smooth road-rides with a tail wind.

Actually it works different for me because I have a thing on my bike that measures how much energy I put into it, kind of like a bathroom scale measures weight. My Garmin doesn't even guess at how efficient I am at turning fats and carbs into mechanical work, so it just takes the total number of kilo-Jules I did and says that's how many calories I burned. It's annoying, but conservative, so I'm ok with it. And then Garmin just sends that number to MFP. So far, so good.

The part I'm grumbling about is that MFP saw that my average speed was low (because I was going up hill, on dirt and gravel) and categorized it as "light" exercise. This was the hardest ride I've ever done!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    We can see what you accomplished, and many of us are totally awed by what you have done!
    It is truly an amazing feat, not many would even be able to attempt it. MFP stats are general, nothing available for the athletes that are major competitors, with no consideration for weather, terrain, endurance etc.
    Congrats!
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Nice & beauty pics. Might want to check your FTP settings, 0.992 IF for four+ hours is nearly impossible.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    We can see what you accomplished, and many of us are totally awed by what you have done!
    It is truly an amazing feat, not many would even be able to attempt it.

Thank you very much for the kind words. :smile: The most important thing (besides, I guess, that the bear didn't eat me) is that I impressed myself.

I knew the trailhead at the end of the road would be about 3,500 feet above sea level, but I thought the town I would start in was 1,200 to 1,500 feet, turns out it's more like 300 feet. And there's a lot more up and down on the road than I expected. I really wanted to turn around early, it took everything I had not to, and I wasn't sure for a while.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    Nice & beauty pics. Might want to check your FTP settings, 0.992 IF for four+ hours is nearly impossible.

I agree, and wondered if anybody would catch that. The normalized power for the ride came out to 1 watt below my FTP, I shouldn't be able to do that for more than an hour. It almost certainly means I've got stronger since the last time I found my FTP out. :smile: But it also means I need to figure it out again. :neutral:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I had the hardest ride of my life over the weekend as well. Not nearly that kind of scenery though. Lots of cows though lol.

But yea, MFP also gets my MTB rides from Garmin and they show as a "Leisurely ride" even though it's single track and far from leisurely.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Yup, probably a good chunk. Testing is training and training is testing. Or, could just commit sin #2 and/or #3 of the seven deadly sins and guesstimate base on ride file(s)