Can't stick to anything.

Options
I have been trying to lose weight for a very long time. I always start strong, but a week or two into it, I lose all willpower and go back to being unhealthy. I'm a sahm, so I'm always around unhealthy snack food. Any advice on how to stick to it, or build willpower? Thanks!

Replies

• frawley23
    frawley23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm a sahm and the only unhealthy snack food in my house is my husband's which I won't touch because I know it is his and because it is generally frozen in individual serves or kept out of my line of site. As a sahm I'm in charge of grocery shopping and meal prep so I'm in a great position to control what food is in my home.

I stopped and started a lot but am determined that this time will be different. Having a reason to lose really helps. Find yours. Mine came from finding out that my toddler was at risk of becoming overweight. At her 2 year check up her weight was that of an average 4 year old but her height was only that of an average 3 year old. She's always been a big lass and she's tall, but her weight was creeping up and I needed to change for both of us. There's also the small matter of her being fitter than me. If she ever choses to bolt, I wouldn't be able to catch her until she wanted me to.

Don't focus on losing weight, focus on changing your lifestyle for the benefit of you and your family.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by starting strong? Changing a lot of habits drastically, eating as little as possible, working out like a maniac? If you need willpower, and it wanes after just a couple of weeks, maybe you're overdoing it. You can do a lot to make things easier for yourself. Either stop deeming foods "unhealthy" - you CAN eat anything and lose weight; or stop buying unhealthy foods. If the kids are big enough to buy their own food, you can ask them to keep it in their rooms or something, at least out of your way. Or you can just not eat it, if it isn't yours :*
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Willpower is a finite resource. Find the plan that fits you well and do it till it becomes a habit. If it is a little hard, that's ok. If it is super hard, than it is a poor fit.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Willpower is something everyone has but it has to be worked at...are you restricting your cals too much that you keep giving up after a few weeks? Perhaps your calorie deficit is too high which leads eventually to you giving up as you're always hungry?

How about you set your loss to say 1lb per week and this time make yourself stick to it for at least one month - that would be progress :smile: And by then you'll find you're in the swing of things and seeing results.

All the best.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might be starting TOO strong (aka under eating). Keep it sustainable.

There are times when I'm ready for "a little hard" and times when I'm not. I don't stress about eating at maintenance (which shouldn't be hard at all) whenever I need to. When I'm sick (like today), or stressed, or just don't feel like dieting, I eat at maintenance.
  • amanda000002014
    amanda000002014 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Find something you love to do. I hate walking but I love walking the dog; it's either that or have everything in my house chewed up. I hate swimming but I love to play in the pool. I hate aerobics but I love to dance with my little girl. Find something you dislike doing and try to make it fun, or find something you just like.