getting kids to eat veggies

Options
2»

Replies

• rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    7elizamae wrote: »
    My boys are teens now. There are quite a few 'issues' I wish I had let go when they were little. Sigh...

I suggest a daily multi-vitamin and serving her what the rest of the family is having. If she doesn't eat the veggies, try to let it go. Try not to say anything. Easier said than done, I know, but I don't think it's worth the battle.

There is no (decent and loving) way to make a child eat something. But there are a thousand ways for a child to refuse, and most of those ways will make for miserable mealtimes.

^^^^^^^^^
    This! Relax. Offer whatever you are eating. Make happy noises when you eat it (say something like, Oh, this is so good.) Sooner or later she'll decide to try it. Ad if her first reaction isnt positive, dont push it.
    All forcing kids to eat things will accomplish is, a lifetime of issues with food.

BTW, I had the pickiest eater ever. At one point he ate only chicken nuggets and cheerios. Seriously. Te Dr just laughed, said give him a vitamin. He'll grow out of it. He did. He is now 16 and I can't keep him full. He eats nonstop. Still not a veggie fan and still slightly picky but way better than he was. Just dont stress. It will get better!
  • arjeffries136
    arjeffries136 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I told my littles ones they couldnt have the vegetable because it was too expensive and only for adults. It was a special treat just for me. The more I told them they couldnt eat it, the more they wanted to try it. Now they devour broccoli,cabbage, and asparagus. Try covering it in shredded cheese. Anything tastes better with cheese.
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    mitsimr wrote: »
    mitsimr wrote: »
    My daughter unfortunately is hooked on junk food.

She's five. She will eat what you feed her.
    I get my lackadaisical parenting led to this. I have quit giving her so much junk food. If you have children yours may be better about it but my daughter will actually choose just not to eat rather than eat veggies other than the ones listed. For those who gave advice instead of criticizing my parenting thank you. I do not expect to be coddled but it seems like no matter how valid the question is someone always has something snarky to say. I am not just talking about stuff I post either. I see it in ALOT of the threads I read on here. How is it worth your time or mine. No this isn't the worst I have experienced but it is the straw that broke the camels back and am unsure if I will ask questions on the board anymore. Comment and read yes but post myself I am done.

My son is exactly the same. He used to try anything but now at almost 5, vegetables are a mortal enemy.

I tend to put a lot of different vegetables in sauces that I make and incorporate spinach into smoothies. I also still put vegetables on his plate, if he tries it and doesn't like it then that's fine he can leave it. But he has to give everything a go. We also get him to name everything on his plate which he loves to do and then try each thing after naming it.

Good luck with everything! :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Seriously. Take it easy on yourself. Keep the corn, carrots, and basic salad available. Also fruits.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I told my littles ones they couldnt have the vegetable because it was too expensive and only for adults. It was a special treat just for me. The more I told them they couldnt eat it, the more they wanted to try it. Now they devour broccoli,cabbage, and asparagus. Try covering it in shredded cheese. Anything tastes better with cheese.

You are one sneaky mom! I salute you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    We did what I swore we'd never do... Bribe them with dessert (something small) if they eat their veggies.

Now they eat them (but we only give them a handful, but they're allowed to have more, of course).
  • courtneylykins5
    courtneylykins5 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'll add a few more ideas here. You can't force a child to eat it, but you can serve a tiny bit on their plate. Get them used to seeing it and smelling it. In many, many cases, I have seen curiosity take care of the rest without any mention being made of trying a new food.
    You could also stress that they can try it without having to eat it all or even swallow it if it tastes that disagreeable. It's not so scary to try if mom says it's ok to quietly spit it into a napkin instead of forcing it down.
    Lastly, how about letting her choose something you have never had either for the two of you to try together? Both of you being on equal footing might make her more willing to expand her horizons.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I put a little (cooked) garlic on most veggies. I didn't have to bribe them. There was no dessert just because I wasn't raised with a nightly dessert so that's still odd to me. Dessert was special occasion stuff.

My kids hated hot dogs, nuggets, Mac n cheese (still will only eat real mac n cheese made with actual cheese), burgers, fries, etc.

We were pretty broke when they were little since I couldn't work. Having 3 kids within 17 months time (1 then twins) made child care out of reach lol. No junk food or fast food cuz we couldn't afford it.

We had a garden each year that they helped with and had their own plants too. There were things they wouldn't eat but who cares. They ate well enough.
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Have you tried preparing them in different ways? I cook veg for one child and another loves her cauliflower/broccoli raw. Can your daughter help prepare the food or come shopping with you and let her pick a new veggie to try?

It's hard, dinner battles suck!
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The easiest way is to start them eating vegetables when they are infants. Veggies have always been served with every meal and they (Kids are 12 & 5) grew up eating a variety. My kids love salad and veggies. They will now even order broccoli instead of fries when we dine out.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options

You are one sneaky mom! I salute you.

LOL this is EXACTLY what I was going to suggest. EXACTLY.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Libby283 wrote: »
    The easiest way is to start them eating vegetables when they are infants. Veggies have always been served with every meal and they (Kids are 12 & 5) grew up eating a variety. My kids love salad and veggies. They will now even order broccoli instead of fries when we dine out.

Yes, this. My kids were raised eating veggies starting as infants and as adults they both love most vegetables. The tricky part has been my two step kids who have been raised by a parent who doesn't really care what her kids eat. The younger one was easy because I just did what I always do and she likes veggies more than meat. But the older one prefers to eat mostly processed carbs always. I encourage him to help cook, ask his recommendation for the vegetable all the time, and even offer two vegetables at dinner. I request that he eat some of at least one of the veggies and he does - although he doesn't really love it. He just usually eats the one he hates the least. He understands that nutrition is important and tries to indulge me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

I tried that. I spent basically 2 years throwing away veggies they wouldn't eat...
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I tried that. I spent basically 2 years throwing away veggies they wouldn't eat...

Seriously. Same here, for at least one of my kids.

Look, kids just have different tastes. Only in the most extreme cases can a child's lack of love for spinach and Brussels sprouts be chalked up to poor parenting. Sometimes, the more you try to force a kid to eat vegetables, the more they reject them, so even if mom or dad had spent every second since the kid starting eating solid food shoving strained peas into the kid's face we might still be in the same spot, or worse.

I have 2 kids, both raised the same way, eating the same meals, all that. One loves vegetables of all kinds. Requests carrots instead of pretzels in his lunch, wants extra peppers on his fajitas, stuff like that. The other acts like nearly all vegetables that are not steamed broccoli or cucumbers dipped into ranch dressing will actually kill her dead if she eats them. That's just their differing tastes, I didn't insist my son eat his vegetables and carefully monitor his 5-a-day progress while completely ignoring my daughter's health and well-being and allowing her to subsist entirely on pop-tarts and chocolate milk.

All of that said, of course there are many ways to encourage children to eat more vegetables, including many in this thread. It mostly depends on what works for your kid and their personality and preferences. I, personally, take a kind of two-sided approach. First, I go out of my way to frequently serve vegetables that I know they'll both eat. I want to be able to encourage and praise them when they do happily eat a serving of vegetables, even if it's broccoli 4 times a week. Second, I go out of my way to frequently serve vegetables that I know they rarely eat. I'm strongly opposed to the idea of forcing a child to clean their plate, but I do insist that my children at least taste (one or two bites) everything I serve to them (or else no "treat" after dinner). They say a small child may need up to 10 exposures to a food before they can truly determine whether they like it or not. I make a big deal out of it if they say they do like it, so that I can encourage them to eat more of it and/or call that out the next time I serve it.

Also, kind of in general I make frequent reference to all the ways food and exercise make you "strong," and vegetables obviously play a large part in that. My kids both really want to be "strong," and love to have me feel their biceps muscles after each bite of vegetables (or meat, or whatever it is I'm trying to talk up at that moment) and ask if I can tell they're getting stronger. Finding an interactive way to encourage healthy eating can make a big difference.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    My daughter has always loved spinach, broccoli...yeah, that is about it consistently. However, she will waffle, without any rhyme or reason from declaring a certain veggie to be literal poison to eating it gusto without any prompt or comment and sometimes back to poison.

When I was a kid, I hated most veggies myself. When I became an adult, I forced myself to start eating a lot of the things I did not like as a child. Well, what do you know, they were not as terrible as I thought and I really learned to like many of them, a process that continues to this day. For instance, up until 2-3 months ago, I still did not like raw tomatoes, cucumbers, or cilantro. But I forced myself to deal with it and now I don't even know what my problem was. It is BIZARRE.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Don't make a big deal of it. You choose what to make, the kid chooses how much and what to eat. I give choices, like i will get salad ingredients and each kid must choose 2 veggies minimum along with whatever else. No veggies is simply not an option. After the first few tries there's no argument and nobody's refusing to eat.

Kid A 'hated' greens, til they became optional in salad, and he 'hated' them less than tomato/onion/avocado. Now he chooses to put them in salad, sandwiches etc. He has also adopted broccoli as a favorite. Previous to the salad project he would only eat peas, carrot, corn and cucumber for veg. This is spectacular for a kid who would not eat anything but fruit, little veg, bread and cheese (not even chicken nuggets) until he was 5. Still hates potatoes though. His salad is regularly greens, grated carrot, olives, meat and cheese.

Kid B still 'hates' greens, but will devour tomato, bell pepper, snap peas and avocado like they're going out of fashion. Her salad is tomato, avocado, peppers, meat and cheese. Not much to it, but she eats it with no complaint.
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have 4 boys. 2 will eat veggies just fine, and the other 2 just won't! I have found that if you get a bag of frozenixed fruit, some veggies like broccoli, asparagus, raw spinich, etc, and blend it (I have a magic bullet that really blends it smoothly), and then make Popsicles out of your "fresh fruit smoothies," even my 4 year old will eat it! If there are enough strong flavored fruits and fruit juices in the mix, you can't really taste the veggies. Try out different amounts in small batches to see which ones she likes. She can taste the smoothie juice and see which ones she likes better. Then, she's at least getting a little whe she's taste testing too. Lol