Ouch25k

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Thanks for checking back. You are paying attention, which is huge when it comes to prevention.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    glad you are figuring it all out
  • kaaaayla
    kaaaayla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I used to get them too. My problem came from the wrong shoes and running on pavement. I've found that I do not get them on a treadmill. I think the impact is slightly less.
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I can't run at the moment because I've put on weight since I did C25k before and now I get shin splints from running (or walking on a steep incline, at a fast pace etc.) I am avoiding all high impact cardio, so I use the bike and cross-trainer a LOT. My trainer won't let me run until I've lost another stone (I've currently got 7 to lose before I'm even at the lower end of overweight, to put that into context) and I personally think it will take another stone after that, at least.
    You run the risk of doing some serious damage, or at the very least, making walking painful and difficult for a coupel of days, and IMO, it's not worth it. I love running, and I really want to be able to do it again, but it's just so miserable hobbling home after less than half a mile because I tried too soon. Going slowly didn't work for me - as I said, I get shin splints just doing a fast walk, so trying any other gait didn't help at all.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I second the strength training advice. And yes, try to lose more weight first.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints when I started C25K as well but after the first few weeks they stopped and haven't come back (fingers crossed!).
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    1. Go to the doctor and see what they say.
    2. My fiancé was told to rest up and ease back in with new running shoes. If it costs to go to the doc (UK here so nhs) then try that and see
    3. In the mean time try non-weight-bearing cardiovascular such as swimming or cycling
    4. Do not push through pain!
    5. There is no evidence that stretching before exercise prevents injury. Indeed, some studies have shown that stretching cold muscles can give you microtears and reduce performance, so be careful. Check out nhs fitness studio for some good videos.