Weight Training or Cardio

Options
So, as per my usual pattern, I went to the gym today and used the machines I'm familiar with and have been guided to use by my PT. My usual pattern involves a minimum of a 10min uphill walk on the treadmill, but sometimes I change it up a bit and try jogging.

I only attempt jogging for my own personal measurement...I suffer with asthma and my lung capacity sucks, but I've started measuring my improvement by seeing how long I can jog for. Sounds pathetic but I've made it to 2mins on a good day.

Anyway, so today I tried jogging and completed 2mins, when the guy on the treadmill next to me started talking to me. He tells me he's a PT himself (not of my gym I might add), asks if he can give me some advice and out of politeness, I say yes. He tells me that I should be walking uphill and not jogging...I try to tell in why I was doing it and that under normal circumstances I would be walking uphill, but he didn't really seem to be listening and he sounded like a salesman promoting something, really pushing on me that to reach my goal I should be weight training before cardio and doing things differently. He said that the PT's at my gym teach people backwards and he made me feel like I'd been doing it all wrong. He really disturbed my training and tainted what I was doing, so much so that I walked out of the gym.

I'm sure he had good intentions but I'm comfortable with what my PT set up for me and I trust my PT, who's also my nutritionist implicitly. I hated how this complete stranger, who didn't know me and hadn't spent any time getting to know what my goal was and my capabilities, just assumed I was trying to "shift the fat" and thought it was acceptable to encroach on another gyms customers and interrupt their pattern and confidence in the staff. He even started pushing on me vitamins and eating habits and suggested that the PT's at my gym had just bought their certifications in training rather than earning them legitimately.

I left the gym feeling so angry today...angry that someone had assumed something of me and angry that he'd affected me so much that I walked out and didn't complete my usual pattern. It didn't help that I'd had a bad day but I got home and cried!!

Replies

• Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. Just let your results speak for themselves.
  • jakefitzgerald93
    jakefitzgerald93 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Do HIIT home workouts :) takes what 20-30 minutes and great for changing your body composition and burning some serious fat!
  • jakefitzgerald93
    jakefitzgerald93 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can send you some HIIT home workouts if you need some inspiration :) combined with a controlled diet you'll get that body you want
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    That guy was WAY out of line. When you go to the gym tomorrow report him. If he's there, tell him plainly and bluntly that you know what you're doing and you do not need any more "advice" from him. He's probably done that to others so the more he's reported the sooner the gym management can shut him down, hopefully.

Don't let it discourage you! Get right back there and do your thing.

Just wanted to add, I can't run or jog to save my life so I'm a speed walker outside and I walk steep inclines on the treadmill. If your asthma makes jogging difficult, stick to incline intervals. It's all about what works for YOU.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Some guys will do anything to talk to a woman, including being incredibly rude.
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

Thank you for that...that actually made me laugh!!
  • Rushbrook60
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    That guy was WAY out of line. When you go to the gym tomorrow report him. If he's there, tell him plainly and bluntly that you know what you're doing and you do not need any more "advice" from him. He's probably done that to others so the more he's reported the sooner the gym management can shut him down, hopefully.

Don't let it discourage you! Get right back there and do your thing.

Just wanted to add, I can't run or jog to save my life so I'm a speed walker outside and I walk steep inclines on the treadmill. If your asthma makes jogging difficult, stick to incline intervals. It's all about what works for YOU.

Thank you. I didn't think I was being irrational. He just really got my back up.
  • sc487
    sc487 Posts: 102 Member
    Options

This is probably the accuracy, he may not even be a PT (except maybe in his mind) and he sounds like he has his head up his *kitten*. Uphill walking can get my heard going as much as flat jogging most of the time if I do it for 20-30 minutes. Great weightloss there :)

• Rushbrook60
    Options
    I can send you some HIIT home workouts if you need some inspiration :) combined with a controlled diet you'll get that body you want

That would be good. Whether I'd do them or not is a different story. I've only been going to the gym for about the last 10weeks, so only just improving my fitness at the moment. If you could send some, that would be good and I'll see if I can cope with it.

Thank you
  • MichPainter
    MichPainter Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    He may be looking for new clients and is clearly going about it all wrong. I agree with BZAH10's advise. As far as jogging - AWESOME on the two minutes. I've been slowly but steadily increasing my run to walk ratio and am moving to 2 minutes this week too. It feels like forever!

Anyway, don't let that dude get in your head...and keep up all the hard work :smiley:
  • Wepz
    Wepz Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I have to agree, I suspect his intentions were not really about trying to sale his Personal Training services (if he even was a PT) but rather his intentions were of a sexual nature.

His PT approach was merely his entrance story. He just completely messed it up.
  • charcharodoncarcharia
    Options
    You can't give someone advice without knowing their health background. If he was a real PT he should have known that. And there is nothing wrong with you trying to step up your game on your own. You run up hill girl! Challenge your weaknesses! The girl above stating to report him is right. Probably a good idea. Since the guy is bad talking the gyms PT. And why isn't he working out at his own gym.. if there so qualified
  • norchids
    norchids Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What a load of offensive nonsense. I mean, the overall assumption is that people at the gym are there to get fit, of course. But why would he talk to YOU? Why not the next person over? There are skinny people trying to get ripped. Slow people trying to run faster. Folks with joint problems trying to get relief through regular exercise. People who just love the high of working out. People who go for just a moment of peace in a stressful life. There are a million reasons humans go to the gym. But this self-righteous prick took one look at you, made massive assumptions, and decided HE would be the one to "fix" your problems. (And before anybody starts telling me how she agreed to hear his advice, let me remind you of the way society has TRAINED men to expect that their suggestions and opinions be constantly heard and validated, while women have been TRAINED that it is impolite to refuse to talk to someone who approaches you in a nice way.) You have every right to feel upset. This person ruined your confidence for the day, and butted his nose in where it simply did not belong. Men at the gym, hear this. We don't need you to fix us! We're doing just fine without you, thanks! And R, you ARE doing just fine! I've seen your stats! Keep up the good work!
  • Rushbrook60
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who replied on here. You've all helped to install some faith again. You've all been in kind and it's so nice to know I have a support mechanism behind me.
  • mstardarsauce
    mstardarsauce Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    both. with more muscles you have higher basal calorie burn rate, means you can eat more, what makes you feel more comfy and happier, while getting tighter. also do hiit. me for myself i do 3x60 strenght and 3x60 cardio each week.