Skinny Fiber Diet Pills

Not sure why, but the advertisement for these keep showing up in my Facebook feed. I clicked on the link for more info and was seeing pictures of weight loss from people claiming to take them. Oey, I wonder how many people are actually falling for that? They showed one person loosing approx 30 lbs in 21 days. They had a lot of before and after photos of people and while they look amazing, no way can they achieve those results in a short time.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Konigboy wrote: »
    Not sure why, but the advertisement for these keep showing up in my Facebook feed. I clicked on the link for more info and was seeing pictures of weight loss from people claiming to take them. Oey, I wonder how many people are actually falling for that? They showed one person loosing approx 30 lbs in 21 days. They had a lot of before and after photos of people and while they look amazing, no way can they achieve those results in a short time.

Nope you cannot not. If that were possible we would all be doing some sort of magic pilz or potionz to look like the models in the advertisements.

The ad, did exactly what it wanted you to do which was look and of course if you do have not common sense, buy it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    People are desperate and the weight loss industry knows it. Rapid weight loss promises sell products, it really doesn't matter what is actually in the product either. People want instant results with little effort.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    A quick search did not find any stats specific to weight loss supplements, but I'm sure it's in the billions of dollars a year, so, yeah, people are falling for those types of marketing efforts.

https://www.bharatbook.com/healthcare-market-research-reports-467678/healthcare-industry-healthcare-market-research-reports-healthcare-industry-analysis-healthcare-sector1.html

This new Market data report presents a wrap-up of 2014 performance for the U.S. weight loss market. The value of the market actually declined by 1.1% to $59.8 billion, largely as a result of slumping diet soft drink sales, and flat performance in most other market segments—including the large chains. The market is forecast to grow by 1.4% this year, as the DIY dieting trend continues. There are bright spots, however, including medical weight loss programs by MDs, and the meal replacements market.

The report covers discussions of: 2014 market performance, recent competitor developments and top management turnover, latest dieter trends, rankings of top diet programs, new programs and ad campaigns for 2015 diet season (by Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem), the paradigm shift from diet PRODUCTS to diet SERVICES, dieter demographics/latest trends, why the Affordable Care Act can be profitable for companies providing counseling (who qualifies?), CVS and other drugstore chain’s mini-clinic programs, MLM channels weight loss & fitness apps – how big a threat?, new diet books, reasons why market growth is slow – how diet companies can execute better, customize programs, form new retail partnerships, and more.

https://www.mckinseyonmarketingandsales.com/sites/default/files/pdf/CSI_VMHS_FNL_0.pdf

...Over the last decade, sales of vitamins, minerals, and nutritional and herbal supplements (VMHS)
    have surged and many new companies have entered the space. Globally, the market is now valued at
    $82 billion, with roughly 28 percent of that in the U.S., where sales increased by approximately $6 billion
    between 2007 and 2012. Growth is expected to remain strong through 2017 – between 5 and 6 percent a
    year both globally and in the U.S.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    Desperate people who are unknowledgeable on how weight loss works will purchase them. That's what the seller is looking for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Konigboy
    Konigboy Posts: 86 Member
    Makes me wonder if they don't steal before and after pictures from places like here. Maybe people should watermark their pics so they don't get used to scam people.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Makes me wonder if they don't steal before and after pictures from places like here. Maybe people should watermark their pics so they don't get used to scam people.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/candice-russell/before-and-after-weight-loss_b_5332831.html
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-truth-about-before-and-after-photos/
    http://www.self.com/trending/2016/02/fitness-before-and-after-pic/

Just a few different examples of transformation pictures that aren't truthful.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member

Most of those scammers do indeed steal before/after pics to sell their products.

There's a gif of a woman who lost weight (I think she starts out in a grey shirt and ends up in a green one) that I saw when she originally made her weight-loss post (her post was on Reddit, I believe). I've seen that same gif posted by companies trying to sell weight-loss pills, all giving that gif a different backstory and telling how she lost a massive amount of weight in a month by only taking their product.
  • MudderGrad
    MudderGrad Posts: 14 Member
    It's sad how people still fall for these ads... If weight loss was possible with pills alone than no one would be overweight.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member

They do. Or, they get people to sell them before and afters. Occasionally, they will even contact overweight/obese people to see if they can buy any 'befores' of when the person was a normal BMI... then they'll just swap over which picture is 'before' and which is 'after'.