Cauliflower main dish recipes- perhaps Indian food?

Options
skinnyforhi
skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
Anyone have anything like this that they could share?

Replies

• rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I love to make cauliflower mashed potatoes... Not Indian food, but delicious. foodnetwork.com/recipes/mock-garlic-mashed-potatoes-recipe.html
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Lentil dal served over cauliflower rice instead of white rice: http://www.food.com/recipe/lentil-dal-456
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas! The Gobi thingie looks right up my alley.
  • 64heyjude
    64heyjude Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The Manchurian Cauliflower looks wonderful!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Lentil dal served over cauliflower rice instead of white rice: http://www.food.com/recipe/lentil-dal-456

This dal is so good. I've been making that exact recipe for over 10 years from some random WW cookbook. It also freezes really well, and I just skip the rice since it's not so dense with the cauliflower mixed in. I actually use an entire head and just slightly increase the seasonings.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    Cauliflower sabji with peas and carrots. I haven't tried that one, but her other recipes are really good!
  • mandamoxie
    mandamoxie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I recently bit the bullet and tried that trend I keep seeing of cauliflower "wings". They were actually pretty good!

Chop up some cauliflower into florets, toss them in BBQ sauce, buffalo sauce, or whatever other sauce you like, then roast them for about 20 minutes at 450 degrees. Most recipes I've seen do bread them first, but I skipped that part to cut down on the calories a bit, and I still liked them just fine.

While they're more of an appetizer than a main course, that doesn't stop me from making a dinner out of them. YUM.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options

This dal is so good. I've been making that exact recipe for over 10 years from some random WW cookbook. It also freezes really well, and I just skip the rice since it's not so dense with the cauliflower mixed in. I actually use an entire head and just slightly increase the seasonings.

I usually add some garam masala.
    We eat it all up so fast around here, that there is never any left to freeze, but good to know if I ever make a bigger batch. :)
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I really like adding cauliflower to chili. When I was a kid, my family had dinner with an Egyptian family who made a cauliflower dish with a sauce that tasted a lot like my mom's chili con carne. After that, we'd steam the cauliflower and pour the chili over it. These days, I just pitch the cauliflower into the pot along with everything else. Of course, I really like a lot of veggies in my chili anyway - shredded carrots, a whole bunch of celery, even mushrooms and zucchini. And this way, you can make it vegetarian or you can make it with meat.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options

I usually add some garam masala.
    We eat it all up so fast around here, that there is never any left to freeze, but good to know if I ever make a bigger batch. :)

I cook on weekends just to portion and freeze :)
  • stuartgtc
    stuartgtc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You could try making Cauliflower Pizza. Only uses a cauliflower and eggs for the base. I have only recently discovered this, made it once and was amazing, and really healthy (depending on what you put on it obviously!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower cheese is a comfort food standard here - just cooked cauliflower in cheese sauce. Top with grated cheese and put under the grill until toasty. Mmm.

Cauliflower is great in veg curry, brilliant texture.

And you can just toss it in oil and roast it, with or without spices.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Love the aforementioned alloo gobi, yum. Or curry with peas and cauliflower, yogurt sauce. Put it on rice, you have a meal.

Baked cauliflower is really nice, cut it up and rub with oil and spices and bake. We like this best with ethiopian spice mix.

We also add cauliflower to mac n cheese so it's about half pasta half veg.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I love to make cauliflower mashed potatoes... Not Indian food, but delicious. foodnetwork.com/recipes/mock-garlic-mashed-potatoes-recipe.html

That's the recipe i use...love it!
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I Make a Thai inspired fried rice, using cauliflower grated instead of actual rice. Simply pick your Thai themed veg (bean sprouts, mange tout etc), some bird eye chillies, ginger and garlic and stir fry in a small bit of sesame oil. Add some lime juice, maybe some fish or soy sauce and the cauli rice and fry off / steam a little (add a spoon of water to stop it catching). Add an egg and stir fry through if you want added protein. Chopped coriander (cilantro) and a little more lime juice to finish and serve.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Also a whole roast head of cauliflower is delicious. Mix up Indian spices and garlic with natural yoghurt and slather over a while head, leaves removed. Put it in the fridge to marinade overnight, then roast on a tray for about an hour at 180-200 deg C. Slice into wedges to serve.