egg weight

Options
Karihappy
Karihappy Posts: 116 Member
This may be a dumb question, but when the site says an egg is so-and-so calories at 50 grams, is that with the shell or without the shell?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    With the shell. Even if it isn't, you are talking about a minuscule amount.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Eggs are the one thing i've never weighed. I just pick the "Large egg usda" entry and be done with it.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I always weigh my eggs, in grams. First I weigh the eggs whole then I weigh the shells once they are cracked and subtract the number. For hard boiled eggs I just weigh the peeled egg and log that.

Since I get my eggs from a friend's farm they can vary quite a lot is size and weight.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Eggs are the one thing i've never weighed. I just pick the "Large egg usda" entry and be done with it.

Yeah I don't either. All the large eggs look identical to me anyway, life is too short to be weighing eggs.

• willburpeeforcookie
    willburpeeforcookie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've always heard to only weigh the parts you eat.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be that eggsact.
    ils5228q779e.jpeg

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The calories are only for the edible portion. Shells are never included.

I don't weigh my eggs either, even though I know there can be a difference from egg to egg, it isn't significant enough to me to bother. Eggs are sized by the average weight per dozen so, yes there will be larger and smaller ones in the carton.
  • Karihappy
    Karihappy Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! "You don't have to be that eggsact" made me laugh, 85Cardinals! :)
    5229779.png
  • Kib13
    Kib13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I weigh my eggs. I think on MFP a large egg is considered 50 g. I've had quite a few eggs that were closer to 70 g, which is roughly a 28 calorie difference. For two eggs that puts me at 56 calories more then would be logged on MFP if I go with the most common weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Kib13 wrote: »
    I weigh my eggs. I think on MFP a large egg is considered 50 g. I've had quite a few eggs that were closer to 70 g, which is roughly a 28 calorie difference. For two eggs that puts me at 56 calories more then would be logged on MFP if I go with the most common weight.

I do too, because I get farm eggs and have seen differences from 48 g - 70 g. I think they'd average out, though, and think supermarket eggs are remarkably close in size (from what I've seen of my sister's supermarket eggs).

I weigh because it's easy--I make an omelet so break the eggs into a bowl every morning. But I think I can tell size enough to estimate and also think supermarket eggs can go by size.

(My current eggs are duck eggs, and in addition to other things, they seem to vary in size even more dramatically.)
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    USDA defines their calorie entries as 'without bone or gristle', so using a USDA entry guarantees that the egg is without a shell. I think (but I'm not totally sure) that the MFP official entries match the USDA information.

If you weigh your eggs (I do), I made two USDA-based entries a long time ago called "USDA - Raw Egg (Metric)" and an identical one for boiled, which measures per 100 grams. I prefer to use these over the "small, medium, large egg" entries that you find in the database.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    If you think about it like this, the weight of a banana doesn't include the skin as you don't eat it, so why would an egg include the shell if you don't eat it. Or a packet of crisps doesn't include the packet in the weight because you don't eat it. If I'm frying a egg I but the pan on my scales and crack open the egg into the pan to weigh the egg. Same if I'm just eating the egg white.