regional goodies?

Options
Dottie27
Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
I feel like I am getting away with something when I eat cherry salsa, 10 cal./tablespoon. For anyone outside of Michigan, the idea of cherry salsa may not sound appealing, but once you try it, you're hooked. Anyway, this has me wondering if there's something in your area that the locals really like with a friendly calorie count?

Replies

• HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    I'm from Philly we have soft pretzels and cheese steaks. They are AWESOME but not low cal. :explode:
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Heh - I'm from Wisconsin. Beer, brats & cheese. I don't know if any of those are calorie friendly!
  • Dottie27
    Dottie27 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I must say I have traveled and enjoyed these foods...too much!:)
  • tiger7171
    tiger7171 Posts: 17
    Options
    LOUISIANA and boiled crawfish. yum yum
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I'm from New Mexico, and anything with green chile in it is golden!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm from Louisiana....need I say more.....CAJUN FOOD.....and I don't even live in Cajun country part of the state...I love beignets!! MMMM not low in calories I'm sure.....
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    From Washington State...fresh wild Salmon straight out of the Columbia river can't be beat...not super low calorie, but loaded with good stuff for you. :) Has to be wild caught fish, no farmed fish! (the taste is remarkably different!)
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    well im from chicago... and we LOVE our hot dogs!! I "get away" with eating turkey dogs on healthy life buns with extra relish (lo cal!!!) and mustard ONLY! (VERY low cal!) ... sport peppers are also low calorie and so are onions... put it all together and you got yourself a chicago style turkey dog!!
    still haven't found a substitute for deep dish pizza.... i dont think all that cheese could ever be healthy!! lol
  • disneymom94
    disneymom94 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am just a little further south than you Dottie, in Ohio. We have raspberry salsa and peach salsa. I believe I have had them from Rothchild's farms. You can get them on line and not too bad for you either. The chips you put it on is worse-but some people like pretzels with it and the raspberry pretzel dip (kind of a mustard base) is not bad either.
  • Smittyinthesun2
    Options
    Growing up in The Buffalo area is was Buffalo wings which we just call wings, we also are known for Beef on Weck... Yummy .

We also make the Best French onion chip dip in the country Bison, nothing else compares.

Now that I live in Florida, I can only get the good stuff when I go home!
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am from North Carolina...home of Krispy Kreme donuts...not low cal though. Also, this place is BIG BIG BIG on Barbecue - also not low cal. Second largest hog producing state in the country...that probably doesn't count as low cal either. Hmmmmmm...we are the largest grower of sweet potatoes in the country and those are pretty good for you...
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Growing up in The Buffalo area is was Buffalo wings which we just call wings, we also are known for Beef on Weck... Yummy .

We also make the Best French onion chip dip in the country Bison, nothing else compares.

Now that I live in Florida, I can only get the good stuff when I go home!

I grew up in Buffalo as well, wings are the best there!! Beef on weck from the barbill in east aurora is the best around too. Yum!

Rochester, NY is most well known for their "garbage plates". I think they're nasty but other people love them. It's basically, mac salad, baked beans, 2 hamburgers, tomato, ketchup and meat sauce all mixed together. You can substitute other sides/toppings too. But it's gross!!!