Crossfit exercise in log options

Options
I do Crossfit but I don't see that option in the exercise database, how do I log that? Is there a Crossfit option in the works?

Replies

• Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Just create a custom cardio exercise called CrossFit. That's the easy part. Determining your burn is the tricky part. I tracked mine for several months wearing a Polar HR chest strap, and found (understanding the problems with using HR to calculate a non-cardio burn) my normal range was 450 to 1,000 depending on how much the workout slated towards cardio. I now use an average of 650 and add or subtract based on the type of workout and how hard it was. I wear a Polar A360 wrist monitor now and it generally supports the same range.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    It's under your food diary as Kool-aid.
  • DanielleTake2
    DanielleTake2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this -- I log as:
    • 20 minutes stretching (hatha yoga)
    • 20 minutes strength training (vigorous effort)
    • 20 minutes calisthenics (vigorous effort)
    ... as this generally mimic's my boxes workout format. This gives me an estimated calorie burn of about 350 calories. But judging by Upstate_'s response, it sounds like that might be way too low!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Just create a custom cardio exercise called CrossFit. That's the easy part. Determining your burn is the tricky part. I tracked mine for several months wearing a Polar HR chest strap, and found (understanding the problems with using HR to calculate a non-cardio burn) my normal range was 450 to 1,000 depending on how much the workout slated towards cardio. I now use an average of 650 and add or subtract based on the type of workout and how hard it was. I wear a Polar A360 wrist monitor now and it generally supports the same range.

Keep in mind HRMs are used to calculate calories for steady state cardio...

An HRM is using an equation based on your heart rate and assuming a relationship between oxygen uptake that would normally be used for steady state, cardiovascular exercise. When you run/walk your heart rate increases because your heart must pump more blood to meet the energy demand of the activity. When you lift weights, your heart rate increases to compensate for internal pressures and stresses but there is not a corresponding increase in oxygen uptake or in energy use. So therefore the HRM will give you an inflated number since it doesn't know what you did and is just using an equation based on your heart rate. All things that raise heart rate do not result in higher energy burn, think of being scared for instance.

The best way to figure out what your true burn is would be to use a best estimate and see if it's working over time. If your food diary is accurate and you are logging and weighing all your food, then you should be losing weight at a predicted value. If you are losing slower than you expect, it's possible your calorie burn estimations are inflated. Not everyone's will be the same, trial and error and experimentation are the best ways.

Personally, I try to compare a new activity to running for the same amount of time. The MFP value for circuit training will often give me 500 calories for an hour. But I can tell at the end I am not as winded or as tired as if I had just run 5 or more miles, so I don't feel that estimate is accurate for me.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Circuit training if you are doing it for time.
  • drxw10
    drxw10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was actually just wondering the same thing!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I don't know how one could accurately log that, as it is various exercises.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options

Keep in mind HRMs are used to calculate calories for steady state cardio...

An HRM is using an equation based on your heart rate and assuming a relationship between oxygen uptake that would normally be used for steady state, cardiovascular exercise. When you run/walk your heart rate increases because your heart must pump more blood to meet the energy demand of the activity. When you lift weights, your heart rate increases to compensate for internal pressures and stresses but there is not a corresponding increase in oxygen uptake or in energy use. So therefore the HRM will give you an inflated number since it doesn't know what you did and is just using an equation based on your heart rate. All things that raise heart rate do not result in higher energy burn, think of being scared for instance.

The best way to figure out what your true burn is would be to use a best estimate and see if it's working over time. If your food diary is accurate and you are logging and weighing all your food, then you should be losing weight at a predicted value. If you are losing slower than you expect, it's possible your calorie burn estimations are inflated. Not everyone's will be the same, trial and error and experimentation are the best ways.

Personally, I try to compare a new activity to running for the same amount of time. The MFP value for circuit training will often give me 500 calories for an hour. But I can tell at the end I am not as winded or as tired as if I had just run 5 or more miles, so I don't feel that estimate is accurate for me.

Yes, hence the reason I included in my post the following comment -

"(understanding the problems with using HR to calculate a non-cardio burn)"

In the end, as mentioned (surprising enough) in another current post on the limitations or HRM, everything is an estimate, even the calorie content of the food we eat. Any errors in the logic that Polar builds into my HRM is consistent, so I expect it to be wrong (+/-) by the same amount. It's further not accurate (I know) because I continue to burn extra calories for days after my workouts while my body repairs itself. That post workout burn is not something you'd get with normal steady state cardio, so there's an additional element of inaccuracy on the negative side (i.e. I'm burning more calories from the strength component of my workouts than someone who was doing cardio even if the HR algorithm was perfect for non steady-state cardio). So with all these elements of inaccuracy and estimation, in the end, it's real world results that matter. If you swear your HRM is accurate, enter those calories and add them to your daily goal (assuming you use MFP goals the classic way) and find you are not losing weight/gaining weight, etc. then you're going to adjust your base goal, or decide to only eat back a portion of your exercise burn. In my case, I used a TDEE formula to set my original weight loss goal, then adjusted it from there when I moved into maintenance/weight gain mode. I adjust my custom goal as needed based on the results I'm seeing. So in the end, I'm not using my burn rates to set my daily goal. I just monitor them for the fun of it and to track my estimated "work" value. I can guarantee if my A360 shows I burned 1,000 calories, that was a workout with a heavy cardio/conditioning component. If it shows 400 calories, rare to happen, it was almost exclusively a strength/lifting day.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    It's under your food diary as Kool-aid.

LOL...funny man. Always a few out there.
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I am going to keep track of the time we stretch, time we lift and the time we run/whatever and add them in, get a number then make my custom workout.
  • berlyb
    berlyb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You would think that by now they would include more Crossfit style workouts! I suppose I will become efficient at guessing!
  • martini0128
    martini0128 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do crossfit too. when I wear my polar watch, I burn on avg400-750 calories depending on the wrkout/intensity.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Circuit training is usually close from my experience. Lately I have been logging them around 400 calories...but that just my guess!