Help me gain weight! Please!

Options
Okay so I have been around 135 pounds for quite a few months now, until recently I was trying to lose some more weight and was at a healthy weight of about 120. Then about 2 weeks ago I had to get my wisdom teeth out and of course I could only eat soft foods, so then my body started rejecting normal food, and most times I couldn't eat any more than a few bites without feeling nauseous. Now I am able to eat properly again without feeling sick, but the problem is that now I am 112 pounds and it wont budge. No matter what I do I can't seem to gain weight, and it is to the point where I really don't like the way I look because I am just too skinny. I was just hoping that somebody, anybody could give me some tips on how to really gain some weight because obviously what I am doing is not working! It is my upper body that is the issue. I just can't seem to put any fat on no matter how hard I try, and it is way too boney for my liking. Sorry this is long, but I figured I should explain

Replies

• joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Eat more food! What is your current caloric intake? What are your activity levels?
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem. One way to be sure to gain weight is to eat 2 to 3 milkshakes a day just want your body up with fattening foods.
  • Braden96
    Braden96 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Micclancy16,
    Your problem is that you are not eating enough. The way to gain weight is to eat more calories than your body requires. To find this out, google a calorie calculator and enter your age, weight, height, etc. It will tell you your 'maintenance' calorie goal, which is what you need to consume to stay at the weight you are. In order to gain weight, you need to increase your 'maintenance' calories by around 200-300 calories (If you want to put on 'clean' weight) and not get fat. If you increase your calories by too much, you will get fat and that can lead to health problems. The goal is to gradually increase body weight, a good goal is around 300-500gms per week.

In order to put on "clean" weight, focus on complex carbs, that is carbs that are low on the glycemic index. They absorb slower into the blood and fuel you throughout the day. Examples of complex carbs are, Oats, Sweet Potato, Rice (Preferably Brown). Now, depending on whether or not you plan to work out, ie, weights, etc. You need to be consuming 'lean' proteins, such as, Chicken, Eggs, Milk, Turkey, etc. These will aid in muscle growth and are also a good source of calories. Note, an increase in protein puts more stress on the kidneys, anything over 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight should see an increase in water consumption, at least 2-3 liters a day.
    Fats are also important, healthy fats (Un-Saturated Fats) are essential, most contain good cholesterol and also actively lower your bad cholesterol. Healthy fats include, oils (Olive, Avocado, Flax Seed, Canola) Nuts, Fish (Salmon) and things like avocados are great, and peanut butter (Natural, preferably).

If you find it hard to consume copious amounts of food, or lack the time to cook/eat food, then shakes are an alternative. Certain weight gain shakes like 'Optimum Nutrition Pro Gainer' have over 600 calories per serve, coupled with a cup of milk and a scoop of peanut butter can see at least 800 calories. Shakes are a fast, effective way to increase your caloric intake. Be wary, some weight gain shakes are made up of simple sugars, and can lead to excessive weight gain.

Hope I answered some of your queries, Thanks.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Braden96 wrote: »
    In order to put on "clean" weight, focus on complex carbs, that is carbs that are low on the glycemic index. They absorb slower into the blood and fuel you throughout the day. Examples of complex carbs are, Oats, Sweet Potato, Rice (Preferably Brown). Now, depending on whether or not you plan to work out, ie, weights, etc. You need to be consuming 'lean' proteins, such as, Chicken, Eggs, Milk, Turkey, etc. These will aid in muscle growth and are also a good source of calories. Note, an increase in protein puts more stress on the kidneys, anything over 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight should see an increase in water consumption, at least 2-3 liters a day.
    Fats are also important, healthy fats (Un-Saturated Fats) are essential, most contain good cholesterol and also actively lower your bad cholesterol. Healthy fats include, oils (Olive, Avocado, Flax Seed, Canola) Nuts, Fish (Salmon) and things like avocados are great, and peanut butter (Natural, preferably).

If you find it hard to consume copious amounts of food, or lack the time to cook/eat food, then shakes are an alternative. Certain weight gain shakes like 'Optimum Nutrition Pro Gainer' have over 600 calories per serve, coupled with a cup of milk and a scoop of peanut butter can see at least 800 calories. Shakes are a fast, effective way to increase your caloric intake. Be wary, some weight gain shakes are made up of simple sugars, and can lead to excessive weight gain.

Hope I answered some of your queries, Thanks.

Whilst your message of focusing on slower release energy foods is admiral, it has nothing to do with 'clean' weight gain. That is achieved from eating at a moderate calorie surplus, if that surplus is achieved from eating sugary food items, it's still 'clean' weight gain. Sugar will only lead to excessive if it leads to an overly large calorie surplus. At this point OP is clearly struggling and could do without advice that further complicates and forbids.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE - this is how many calories to eat to MAINTAIN weight. Scientifically, 3500 calories = 1lb. So if we divide 3500 calories by 7 days of the week, you need to eat TDEE plus 500 calories to gain 1lb per week.

So that means you need to log and measure EVERYTHING you put in your mouth, and eat TDEE + 500 calories. I assume you are lifting during this time, as the caloric surplus will greatly aid in strength and muscle growth. I would not recommend going any more than that, as you can only build a certain amount of muscle and any excess will turn into fat.

i.e. I am a 27/male/5'7", gymming 4 days a week. I put in my stats and my TDEE comes out to 2300 calories. To bulk, I have to eat 2800 calories DAILY for +1lb per week. If I wanted to gain 10 lbs, that's roughly 3 months of bulking. If I wanted to lose weight, I'd cut and eat 1800 calories daily for -1lb per week.

Remember, consistency over intensity. Skinny people overestimate how much they eat (and overweight people underestimate). The scale and food tracking keeps us all honest. It's not how much you eat in 1 meal or 1 weekend, but what you do day-in-day-out.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Get stronger. Use heavy weight training, with progressive overload. Add weight to the bar incrementally. Adding muscle is the adaptive response to the stress of forcing your body to get stronger.
  • NaomiAnna22
    NaomiAnna22 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ensure enlive shakes, 350 calories and 20 grams of protein in one small bottle.