Getting started but don't need to lose much

Options
I'm 21 years old and I weight 153 pounds and I'm 5'6" or 7" not really sure. I like my frame, I've just been having this pudge my whole life, no matter how small I was when I was younger. I want to get to 140 and be leaner and stronger. Basically a better bikini bod with abs. Idk where to begin because I know when you don't have much to lose it takes longer and I quickly get discouraged. Looking for some tips to help ensure I'll be starting this journey correctly. Thanks!

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    At your size you may want to consider strength training--recomposition rather than weight loss. I'm not at that point in my journey yet so I'm not the best to give advice, though. I know that my results are generally better when I'm strength training.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    One good course of action would be strength training and eating in a slight deficit until you are as lean as you want to be. Then slowly up your calories to maintenance or just above to help build some muscle mass.
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sara has the right term for what everyone wants to do ultimately with weight loss: Body Recomposition.
    Simply put, this means having lower body fat % and sufficient muscle mass so that the low BF reveals the curves, lines, and definition desired. Some general tips here would be:
    • Do not use the scale as your sole means of tracking changes in your body. Scale + Pictures + Tape Measurements is much more accurate.
    • Everyone on earth should do some fashion of resistance training regardless of goals. Weights such as barbells are the most common and often most convenient way to do this, but they are not the only way.
    • Building muscle while in a calorie deficit is typically impossible. Keep up training with reduced intensity while in a deficit to preserve muscle mass and definition. If you're trying to build muscle, keep calories at maintenance or ideally above. Your body is creating new tissue, additional resources are required.
    • Everyone has slightly different responses in how their body changes and behaves. Do not take a goal weight or percentage as gospel but use how you feel, the pictures, mirror, and dress size to decide if you are in the shape you want to be in or not. This may be 20% BF, 12%, or anything else. It is far more important that you progress towards and achieve the goal you desire, whatever the numbers may be for you.
    • With resistance training consistency is more important than perfection. Start with body weight, get into a routine, then find a way to add resistance whether by new and more advanced movements, weights, bands, or otherwise.

From what you have said, I would suggest getting the habit of training in and cutting down weight first. See what changes happen and make a judgement on whether you want to cut down further, or work on adding muscle which will give the tone, firmness, and strength desired. Finally the best of luck to you however you decide to go forwards.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yep, hit the weights for strength training. If you push hard to get stronger overall, while doing a slight calorie deficit to lose ~0.5-1 lb/week, then you'll lose body fat and improve your muscular definition. Just give it time. Also, watch monthly progress pics and body measurements. Those are great indicators of progress in addition to the scale...or even if the scale is not moving. Also watch as you get stronger and can lift more :)