So a large cheese pizza won't help my situation?

Options
4am this morning: it's a nice summer morning. Actually it's a little muggy from being on the third floor apartment. All grocery shopping for the next two weeks was done this past weekend. Andd to wake up to a busted refrigerator. All food is luke warm. All the meats are a defrosted soggy mess. How I would love to drown my sorrows in takeout! I'm trying to stay strong

Replies

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry! Hope the rest of your day gets better! *hugs*
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    ohhh that sucks a huge lot. I'd be going for the pizza.
  • angpowers
    angpowers Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    how awful!!!
    food is soooo expensive!
    man, so sorry :(
    What a crappy way to start the day :(((

Do you have renters insurance? Sometimes that can cover things like that! If you do, its worth checking to get reimbursed for the food
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Stay strong! Loved the thread title btw.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ugh I hate when that happens :(
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Well, salmon's expensive, so that's fair enough.

How much was salvageable?
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If the meats are still cold but just defrosted, find a fridge or cooler and ice ASAP! Then get a cooking/grilling session going and cook the ones that you can reheat nicely or eat cold on a salad (chicken breasts, pork roasts (shred and use for carnitas or bbq pork), ground meats (for future tacos, pizza toppings, spaghetti sauce, soup), etc). Fish will not reheat well, so that I'd cook and eat/share with your new fridge buddy. If in doubt, throw it out.
    I speak from similar experiences from post-hurricane power outages. At least you still have power and ice isn't a black market item!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I would cook big batches of the meat as others mentioned also. You can refreeze the cooked meat and defrost later to eat as needed. At least it won't be wasted.

Or, f the power comes back and the meat is still quite cold you can re-freeze partially defrosted meat. Just don't open the freezer in the meantime, and it may insulate it some.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    jenb8529 wrote: »
    4am this morning: it's a nice summer morning. Actually it's a little muggy from being on the third floor apartment. All grocery shopping for the next two weeks was done this past weekend. Andd to wake up to a busted refrigerator. All food is luke warm. All the meats are a defrosted soggy mess. How I would love to drown my sorrows in takeout! I'm trying to stay strong

Clean up the mess and eat a reasonable amount of pizza.
    This won't destroy you. It is just annoying. Overeating takeout won't turn back time.
    Sounds like some food was salvagable. Look at what you do have and make a plan.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Get the pizza.
    p4g1s2wr827x.gif
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Oh I'd be crying over all that lost money. Try to salvage. It will make you feel powerful against this world that tried to spoil you food. Evil, evil world. Lol
  • staindgal
    staindgal Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you make it through this, you can make it through anything! :#
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Oh I'd be crying over all that lost money. Try to salvage. It will make you feel powerful against this world that tried to spoil you food. Evil, evil world. Lol
    Lost money and time! I'd be pissed.

• bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    That reminds me of some years ago when I worked a second shift job. I came home about 11:00 PM and my neighbor was across the street grilling. Seems his freezer in his garage had gotten unplugged and everything was thawed. I pushed my grill across the street and we grilled through the night.
  • pdo27789
    pdo27789 Posts: 120 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Life just happens some timestimes!

Don't fret over a few days of take out. Remember that you cannot have a moment of weakness, without having been strong in the first place.

But if you make it through this without takeout, you rock!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If it's not spoiled go buy blocks of ice.
    I had my power out for the days one time. So much of our food had to be thrown away. But we managed to save most from the chest freezers with the ice.
    Also go have a slice or two.