What is the least amount of calories I can eat?

Options
Without screwing up my digestive system and everything? People have said 1200 but I've seen grown men on diet makeover shows only eat 1000. If a big man of, like, 300 pounds can eat 1000 calories then surely I can survive on 600?

Details:
Female, 21 years old
5'6
150 lbs

Replies

• StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Don't be silly !
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Can you survive on 600cories a day? Sure. I watch these shows too, 600lbs+ people being put on 800calories a day by medical professionals and dietitians. I also see them struggle and complain over hunger pains and lack of energy. Interesting enough, in the shows I watch I never see medical professionals telling their patients that 600calories is OK though and they strongly advice their patients to eat their daily allowance.

But since you are not 600lbs and under medical supervision I would suggest to eat your MFP's daily allowance and to exercise. There is a good reason why VLCD's is not advertised on these boards.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    That's the thing, a 300 lb person can afford to go low because their weight is protective of their muscles and hormones (not to mention they are usually medically supervised). A 150 lb person does not have that luxury and you are bound to lose a lot of muscle and screw up your hormones if you go too low. Not to mention it's less effective (larger metabolic slowdown to compensate for the low intake), unsustainable, and may give you a less than appealing end result (losing too much muscle may result in what is usually called "skinny fat").
  • mstardarsauce
    mstardarsauce Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i eat 2500 i am 175cm and 68kg. 3x 60min hiit and 3x 60min strenght training per week. currently i'm on a diet, 4 days 1850 and 5th day 2500 kcal. my 6 pack is well developing :) friday i am going for bia and measure my basal calorie rate. its VERY important to do sports AND eat more to not cut down your metabolism!
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i suggest you type "GET RICH QUICK!!!" in the MFP forum search bar and read that carefully. (it's a thread by MireyGal76)
  • idrinkalotofwater
    idrinkalotofwater Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone
  • idrinkalotofwater
    idrinkalotofwater Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone
  • jawillia
    jawillia Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm no dietician, but 600 calories would be dangerous. I know I weigh more than you and if I am only at 1000 calories and hit the complete button I get a warning that I am eating too few calories. MFP is specifically designed, based on your height, weight, activity level, etc to tell you what your calorie intake should be. If you exercise more, you should also consume more calories to compensate for what you burned off. A pretty reliable source advised me that by eating too few calories your body will actually store the fat you have so that it doesn't starve, in fact making you lose weight slower. Just like everything on tv, take it with a grain of salt. Don't starve yourself. That's a slippery slope!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The question I think everyone should be asking is "what's the most I can eat and still achieve my goals?"

I'm eight years older than you and the same height and almost the same weight, and I've been losing slowly on almost 2000 calories a day. I don't assume you're exactly the same as me and should eat the same. I do assume 600 calories a day is very unhealthy.

I would agree with this. And I can tell you from all the time here (on my 7th year), I don't know anyone who achieved any of their fitness goals or body image goals by eating a starvation type diet. I know a lot of women who achieve their goals with reasonable calorie deficits (many are eating 1700-2100 to lose) and solid workout routines (high concentration on resistance based with some added cardio).

Fit/lean bodies strive when there is appropriate nutrition and training.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Do you want to survive or live life?

Try something around 1500 for a while and see how you lose. I think 1400-1500 could be great for you to lose steadily. What's your goal?
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and currently weigh 201lbs. I know I have a lot more to lose than you do but I also want to stay active and have plenty of energy. I have my goal set to lose 2lbs/week and I eat back just about all of my exercise calories. I am actually eating anywhere between 1350-1600 calories/day with some days up to around 2000. It depends on the day and my activity level. I am losing less than 2lbs/week but I am consistently losing every week and I feel healthy and strong. I've lost 50 lbs in the past 13 months, slow and steady and winning the race.
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    EAT
    SLEEP
    LIFT
    REPEAT!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personally, I work to maximize the amount of calories I can eat and still lose weight. At 2500, I still need more.
  • JohnDavid1969
    JohnDavid1969 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Only six hundred calories a day?

Bad, BAD idea. Don't do it.
  • amanda000002014
    amanda000002014 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal won't let you complete diary unless you have at least eaten 1200 calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Without screwing up my digestive system and everything? People have said 1200 but I've seen grown men on diet makeover shows only eat 1000. If a big man of, like, 300 pounds can eat 1000 calories then surely I can survive on 600?

Details:
    Female, 21 years old
    5'6
    150 lbs

No - 600 is an incredibly bad idea.

Morbidly obese people (on game shows) can eat less because they are morbidly obese PLUS they have medical supervision. They have lots & lots of fat reserves.

People on medical weight loss receive vitamin injections and specialized food to help get the largest percentage of nutrients possible on very low calories. These are not do-it-yourself plans for the slightly overweight.

When we are slightly over weight - loss of lean muscle mass (along with fat).....is a very real possibility.

• sc487
    sc487 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    When I cut my calories too low, I stopped losing. Try what mfp recommends, then exercise more or knock off a couple hundred calories every few weeks