Road Accident

Options
boy0qeu6mi93.jpeg Hi guys had a really bad fall yesterday and I've been told to stay bed bound for a week!!! Then to not train for another week after that! Really worried I'm going to get fat and loose my fitness whilst staying in bed. So gutted and upset I need nutrition advise! How much should I now eat? I'm used to doing 13-16hours training a week so obviously will need to reduce calorie intake!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that.

If doing the MFP eat back exercise calories method to fuel your training then it's only your activity level drop that will need to be adjusted.
    If TDEE method then recalculate.

But you do want to eat to recover - recovery is far more important than worrying about a little fat gain.

Your fitness will probably take a small but only temporary dip. It will come back quickly to previous levels when you can resume full training.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Go to maintenance, sedentary. You won't get fat in a week.
    Your body needs to heal and that consumes calories.

As to fitness - you'll actually be fitter - a two week period of recover will lose a little conditioning but the rest will be beneficial too. A rest break is always recommended prior to a race for this reason and these tapers can last upto 2 weeks. Consider this your taper.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Eat at least at maintenance, but if you feel like having more, I think this is the perfect "excuse" to do so. If making sure you have enough fuel to recover means a little fat gain, it's not the end of the world. Use what you have learnt on MFP but just apply that to maintenance.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posts.

1) bummer about the fall
    2) 2 weeks won't make much of a difference in the big picture. Keep your eating in check relative to the reduced activity level, and give your body a chance to heal.
    3) the time off might actually be good for you. 13-16hrs per week of training is a fairly heavy load (~2hr per day). You might find that the time off actually helps you.

Good luck.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I have no advice beyond what's already been said but I just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    totally sucks.
    a week or two is not going to hurt.
    focus on good nutrition to help your body heal.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    No way you can gain that much in a couple of weeks. If 1lb of fat is 3500 calories, you'd have to eat a LOT over your calories each day while in bed to even gain a few pounds in that time. Do yourself a favor, eat at maintenance calculated with no exercise, allow yourself to indulge but do it smartly, and don't sweat it. Then don't weigh in until you're back on your usual exercise program for at least a week. Then see where you are, I'll bet it'll be within a pound or two of where you were.

I had a similar situation happen to me twice last year with herniated discs. I was down for 2 weeks both times, a whole week in bed, and another week without exercise after that, then another week at light exercise. Both times took almost a month to get back into my routine. I figured my BMR (Base Metabolic Rate) and my TDEE based on no exercise at all in a sedimentary state for maintenance calories at iifym.com, and stayed within those ranges. Drank as much water as I could (had to anyway for the pain killers), and waited to weigh in until I had a solid week of my usual exercise routine (which took an additional 2 weeks) before I weighed in. I gained.. wait for it.. nothing. Lost nothing but gained nothing.

Healing is what is important.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Beats getting hit by a bus. Runner friend of mine got that.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Must have been a pretty bad fall, looks like you wound up in the hospital. I hope you're ok?

Something like that happened to me last fall. I hit the ground right after the car hit me. It was awful, but I got through it, and so will you. Eat less to make up for the lack of exercise, but a little more than you think you need to for your body to recover. Take it slow when you start again. It'll come back.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Beats getting hit by a bus. Runner friend of mine got that.

+1

Motorcyclist friend of mine had that happen. She ended up an amputee.

OP, you don't feel like it now, but you're lucky to have relatively minor injuries. Rest up, and when you're ready you can smash your workouts even harder than before thanks to the rest. That'll give you something to look forward to :smile: