Going for colonoscopy

Options

Replies

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    If you have the 64oz prep, you're probably not going to have any hunger at all. I would recommend keeping a bowl of sliced lemons and limes to suck on after each glass of prep solution you drink - kind of like after taking a shot liquor. The citrus clears out the flavor of the prep and was a blessing when I did the large volume prep.

Somehow, I usually gain two pounds for days after my colonoscopies. I'm always a little salty then. There's nothing left in here and I haven't eaten in days! :)
  • megann120
    megann120 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Milk? That's really odd.. My husband had one done a few months ago and that was totally off limit, but he was allowed broth and jello.

I was surprised too. I thought i will be able to at least have some sugary drinks but no. No broth, no jelly, a teaspoon of milk in black tea. Diet fizzy drinks are fine... it is all so totally oposite from what i normally eat and drink
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Don't drink the drink eat sugar free haribo bears instead ;) or drink the drink and read the amazon reviews...

nah, the gummy bears don't clean you out nearly as good as prep. (I have a laxative effect from sorbitol and lots of stuff but nothing is as dramatic as prep)
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    megann120 wrote: »
    Milk? That's really odd.. My husband had one done a few months ago and that was totally off limit, but he was allowed broth and jello.

I was surprised too. I thought i will be able to at least have some sugary drinks but no. No broth, no jelly, a teaspoon of milk in black tea. Diet fizzy drinks are fine... it is all so totally oposite from what i normally eat and drink

wow your prep is odd. Here they recommend drinks with calories as long as they are clear. Apple juice, pop, gatorade, koolaid, broth,jjello, popsicle, etc. Just nothing red or purple and definitely no milk products
  • KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a colonoscopy scheduled for Saturday and I am freaking out about the prep diet. No fruit or veg from Wednesday and nothing but fluids on Friday... the only 'substantial' thing I will be allowed is a bit of milk in my tea....
    I am trying to loose at the moment so it will probably help with that, but not stressing too much over what I eat is a big deal for me. If I even think the word diet I immediately want chocolate

I go soon to and my paperwork says no milk or cream products :/
  • KetoTeacher
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Don't drink the drink eat sugar free haribo bears instead ;) or drink the drink and read the amazon reviews...

And skip the red, purple and orange ones. Lmao
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Stay near the bathroom. The prep is unpleasant, but the procedure itself is easy peasy. Back in 10 years I think he said. Worth it for piece of mind.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My sister's colon cancer was discovered with a colonoscopy, which saved her life. I have had 3 colonoscopies since then as precaution. Colonoscopy's save lives. Just follow the dietary recommendations and plan on a day at home for your prep day so you can take care of business.
  • almaddox83
    almaddox83 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had a colonoscopy & endoscopy. The prep was like a salty-sweet. At first I thought it would be easy but almost couldn't get through it! I was able to do clear liquids the day before. Then that night did my prep. Mine was in a glass type jar. So much better cold!! Bathroom wasn't horrible. Just be close. I don't remember much from the procedure. Wasn't sore or anything. Slept most of the day. Was good to go the next! Good luck!!!
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have not had one, due to being a reactive hypoglycemic. I have to have protein. Has anyone gone through this with my situation?

I did get one of the stool tests, but it expired. It can read if there is an elevated risk.
  • nickynoodlecartwright79
    Options
    Hi hun I hope you are well. I have to have these every 5 years now. The prep is the worst bit. I had to take picolax and dulcolax. The chicken bovril got me through it make sure you get some x drink plenty too x
  • nickynoodlecartwright79
    Options
    Oh and you will so look forward to your sandwich afterwards xxx you'll be fine hunni x
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

My husband has to have a colonoscopy done every 3 to 5 years due to a colon cancer history that runs in his family. Every once in a while they have found polyps and he has to have the colonoscopy repeated in a year. They told him the same thing, no milk and only clear liquids. Also, he is not allowed to have any red jello.

OP: don't worry about the test. Just follow the test prep exactly as it written and you will do fine. I had an endoscopy done 4 years ago, and never felt a thing during the test. When I woke up I didn't even know that they finished the test.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Thanks guys xxx
    It really helps when people are saying that it can be done

It is annoying but easily done. Make sure you follow the prep diet TO THE LETTER. If you don't, you may be sent home to do it all again because your system wasn't clean enough. A second time is not worth that handful of nuts (or whatever)

ETA: go to the drugstore and get the softest aloe treated wipes you can find. Prevents redness and pain from all the wiping you will do.

^^^^^ THIS! A thousand times this.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've recently had a colonoscopy. The reason for not having fruits or vegetables is because of the seeds. Strawberries, blueberries, green beans, even bananas have seeds. If they find you have diverticulosis, the seeds can supposedly become lodged in the pouches of your intestines. Beets, beet juice, and red foods/drinks are especially bad because they can be mistaken for blood.

I was worried about the prep and being hungry but had no problems drinking black coffee, water, and the prep mix the day before. I was surprisingly not hungry. I didn't use any special wipes or petroleum jelly and didn't have any problems with irritation but the suggestions to use them are good advice.

One suggestion I have is to wait to eat that first meal until you get home. It was great to eat but the meal went right through me. After that I was perfectly fine.
  • megann120
    megann120 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just did my first one. I was freaked out about it. But, when it was over, I thought it was easy and no big deal. I got so worked up about it, I was going nuts. But, my next one will be a breeze. Don't worry about it. No biggie.

That is me exactly! I am really glad I asked, reading about others' experiences really helps.
    I need to call rom and clarify my diet for Friday, the plan is written with advice for diabetics mixed in and there are some conteadictions
  • KetoTeacher
    Options
    I just did my first one. I was freaked out about it. But, when it was over, I thought it was easy and no big deal. I got so worked up about it, I was going nuts. But, my next one will be a breeze. Don't worry about it. No biggie.

That is me exactly! I am really glad I asked, reading about others' experiences really helps.
    I need to call rom and clarify my diet for Friday, the plan is written with advice for diabetics mixed in and there are some conteadictions

How did you do with colonoscopy. Just wondering because I go July 1st and a little nervous :neutral:
  • singingflutelady
    Options

How did you do with colonoscopy. Just wondering because I go July 1st and a little nervous :neutral:

As a frequent colonoscopy getter prep is not fun but the test is a breeze
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Wear elasticated pants as I remember being very bloated afterwards.