Which heart rate monitor works best.

Options
Hello everyone, I'm looking into getting a heart rate monitor but don't really want to us a chest strap. Problem is I've been told that the strapless ones aren't as accurate. I've also seen strapless watches that go on the wrist and others that go on the forearm. I'm currently doing P90X but I'm replacing the cardio in it with Insanity workouts and jogging. I definately want to track calories and target heart rate zone. What is the best choice? Thanks

Replies

• forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    A Polar model WITH a chest strap! I don't even notice my strap, honestly.

* Edit to Add* I have the Polar F6 model.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I have Polar FT60 and I love it!

Make sure that the model you choose to buy calculates Vo2max!
  • davekaplan
    davekaplan Posts: 14
    Options
    I agree with Traci. You'll get used to the chest strap. Feels a little weird at first, but once you find the right snug-ness it will disappear.

I had a basic Polar model that didn't track calories. The other day I picked up the FT7 (around $110) and it's awesome to see the calories. You can also buy a component that lets you download the data to your computer and post on a free polar site for deeper analysis. The device that tracks HR snaps off so you can wash the strap, which is pretty nice.

The FT40 and FT80 are more expensive than the FT7, but have a more features.

I'm also doing P90X and thinking about getting and mixing in Insanity! BRING IT! I found if the strap wasn't tight enough it would start to slide/turn during KenpoX and then I'd loose my HR reading - distracting to look down on my wrist and see 0. :-p
  • rcaycho
    rcaycho Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I actually had the same dilemma, I did not want to spend that much money for the chest heart rate monitor, but I have to say, I bought the Polar strap heart rate monitor and I could not be any happier. If I go to the gym most of them are compatible to this strap so it reads it perfectly (I go to La Fitness). Most of the machines track the calories and heart rate zone I also have the NIKE application on the Iphone and works perfectly if you want to run. I know it is expensive but for me it is worth it.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    The FT4 has less features than the FT7...but is still an excellent choice. I got my FT7 for $75 shipped off of Amazon, and wouldn't willingly trade it for another unit. I owned one of the Sportline units from Wal Mart...the wrist kind, and all I can say is 'useless'.

The chest strap is a must...as is a quality unit.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    The FT4 has less features than the FT7...but is still an excellent choice. I got my FT7 for $75 shipped off of Amazon, and wouldn't willingly trade it for another unit. I owned one of the Sportline units from Wal Mart...the wrist kind, and all I can say is 'useless'.

The chest strap is a must...as is a quality unit.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I love it.. so easy to use and really comfortable.

You also need to make sure the HRM has a chest strap and lets you input all your info(age, sex, weight, and height).

There is ones like body bug that you wear on your arm and don't have a strap.. not sure how they would work out for something like P90X though. The body bug costs about 200 dollars plus a monthly fee to use it.