Discouraged - Butt, Gut and thighs wont go away.

Options
I am a very petite person and at a healthy weight. However, I absolutely have problems areas (stomach, arms, thighs, butt) that are hidden on an everyday basis. But once i step into the shower or in a bathing suit im automatically reminded that im a little chubby person whose chub hides everyday. I have recently (1 month solid now) been eating a lot healthier, and hitting the gym 2-3x a week. But my weight has not gone down and this stubborn 'pooch' on my lower abs wont go away. Im feeling really discouraged and ready to go back to old habits. Can anyone help with tips, or has experienced this?

Replies

• easwartz0812
    easwartz0812 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am counting calories as well as strength training. The counting calories makes me a bit crazy though, i feel like i become obsessed and then im starving because im thinking about food lol! At the gym I always do about 30 minutes or less of cardio and some kind of strength exercise.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Are you following a strength program or just doing random stuff?

If you aren't already doing a program you should consider starting one.
    Starting Strength
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Strong Curves
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Ice Cream Fitness 5x5
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Some kind of strength exercise isn't going to cut it. Start doing heavy compound lifts. I'm suggest looking under success stories at the post name HALP!!! Lifting made me sup ah bulky (it's name is something along those lines. Replace that fat with calorie burning muscle and you'll see your body transform.

As far as your obsession with calorie counting, your health should be an obsession. Embrace it. You're not going to get the body you want by guesstimating your calories.
  • easwartz0812
    Options
    Im doing random stuff. I will for sure check out those programs. Thank you!!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    You need to reduce your body fat percentage, and this takes time. Time eating right, counting calories, measuring, logging, and working out. Come up with a plan, follow it, and above all, be patient. Don't trust the scale to tell you whether or not you're being successful. It will fluctuate. Watch measurements, how your clothes fit, etc.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Foodwise: You need to weigh and log. It does not mean being super restrictive about the Calories you eat it means being aware of them. I do not starve myself. I'm never hungry and if I am I know it's time to have a snack. You can eat healthy all you want if you are eating more Calories than you are burning or the right amount to maintain your body weight then you will not lose.

Cardio: Do you have a heart rate monitor? It's the best way to actually know how much you are burning. The machines or programs that give you estimates of Calorie burn are always way WAY off in my experience. Even doing the same workout every day you will see your Calorie burn fluctuate. There is no way to know how much you are actually burning without measuring your HR. And get a good HR, the more accurate ones have chest straps. Find an activity that you love and where you can "lose yourself". You are more likely to keep it up and integrate it into your lifestyle. It doesn't matter if it's running, spinning or Zumbaing as long as you enjoy it!

Strength:
    You need to actually lift weight. Not tiny dumbells. I agree with all the programs that @shadow2soul mentionned. By the books and read them. Even if you don't feel ready to start the actual programs, the information in them is invaluable. I walked around with New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROL4W) for 18 months before I gathered up the courage to sign up at a gym and start the program at age 42. It changed me, I got stronger and healthier but I also felt stronger in all areas of my life. I would add to the lift STRONG (also by Lou Schuler and Alwayn Cosgrove which might be easier to follow if you are a complete beginner at lifting). Lifting HEAVY weights is to only way you can build up bone density (super important for women) and muscle. Think of it as a long term investment in your health while cardio is nice for right now :smiley:

Like everyone said this is a marathon, not a spring, it's about changing your lifestyle so that it is healthier, not going on a crash diet to get quick results that will disappear as quickly as they appeared.

Good luck!
  • easwartz0812
    Options
    Thank you all so much!! I am so happy i decide to post :smiley:@scoobachick @sllm1 @beautifulwarrior18 @shadow2soul
  • HolyMolyCow
    HolyMolyCow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What are you doing 2-3x per week? You should be lifting weights a minimum of 3 times per week and doing cardio a minimum of 3 times per week. If you do them both on the same day that's up to you but that's the recommended minimum.

However, weight loss is 70% food 25% exercise 5% other (supplements etc.). So, just eat as clean as possible all the time. If you're hungry, overeat on healthy foods like vegetables and lean meats.

Finally, be patient. It will take time. One month is long enough that you should see SOMETHING happening but everything will not go away overnight. Give yourself a break!
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Are you following a strength program or just doing random stuff?
    Ice Cream Fitness 5x5

...you've got my attention.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    How about swimming? Doing at least 1/2 hour of laps will make a difference in your fat composition. Watching your calories and doing weights will help make that difference, too. Start by developing your major muscle groups: legs, back, shoulders, abs; then work into doing compound exercises.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    To get rid of fat, you need to eat in a deficit. That is all!

To change your overall body composition and shape, you need to follow a programme of weights/bodyweight exercises and to eat in a surplus. This is required to build muscle as you cannot build muscle in a caloric deficit (no matter what some people may say).
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    What are you doing 2-3x per week? You should be lifting weights a minimum of 3 times per week and doing cardio a minimum of 3 times per week. If you do them both on the same day that's up to you but that's the recommended minimum.

However, weight loss is 70% food 25% exercise 5% other (supplements etc.). So, just eat as clean as possible all the time. If you're hungry, overeat on healthy foods like vegetables and lean meats.

Finally, be patient. It will take time. One month is long enough that you should see SOMETHING happening but everything will not go away overnight. Give yourself a break!

Agree with all of this except the 5% supplements thing. Supplements don't impact weight loss except for a lighter wallet.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't spot reduce fat. If you aren't already, try adding some resistance work into your fitness routine! You can actually lift weights or do some body weight exercises - if you're not comfortable in the free weights area of the gym there are some great HIIT workouts on YouTube that are good full body resistance workouts and that'll get you started :smile:

Also, patience is a virtue with weight loss, fat will come off if you're eating in a deficit, but it can just take time. You'll get there!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

That thread will provide you links to all those workout programs. Many women tend to favor StrongCurves since it works a lot of lower body.
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am a very petite person and at a healthy weight. However, I absolutely have problems areas (stomach, arms, thighs, butt) that are hidden on an everyday basis. But once i step into the shower or in a bathing suit im automatically reminded that im a little chubby person whose chub hides everyday. I have recently (1 month solid now) been eating a lot healthier, and hitting the gym 2-3x a week. But my weight has not gone down and this stubborn 'pooch' on my lower abs wont go away. Im feeling really discouraged and ready to go back to old habits. Can anyone help with tips, or has experienced this?

Try strength training and keep losing a bit extra weight eventually if you lose enought it will more or less go but you probably need to improve muscle tone too.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Since there is no picture on your post I am going to assume you are a woman. All these suggestions are good and will work over time. Unfortunately, as a woman you will tend to carry your weight in your belly, butt, and thighs. They will become smaller but once again, it takes time.
  • SarahMorrison1
    SarahMorrison1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Takes time :) I'm in the same boat - my belly and thighs drive me crazy. I started eating more protein and lifting heavier. Interval cardio is also much better for fat loss and muscle building than steady state. It's a struggle I'm also having. I would look into Tabata training and/or check out bodybuilding.com, they have some good articles and tips. I'm starting to get results, but it has taken about three months for me to be able to notice. I also lost more in my boobs than I thought I would! Every one is different. Maybe you're in a rut and your body just needs you to try something new.