Too much vitamin c?

Options
I go over on my vitamin c every day, wayyy over. Like 400-700% is that okay? I'm not having any issues really but seeing it that high in red looks alarming

Replies

• madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C is water soluble, so you just pee it out. If you ever look at one of those 'fight early signs of a cold' supplements with vitamin C, they generally have at least 4 or 5 times the RDA. Similarly, if you eat a lot of red/orange fruits or vegetables, you can easily go over by a bunch (from memory one large red pepper is over 100% on its own).
  • MaryDeLoria
    MaryDeLoria Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I'd worry too much about it - if you really overdo it on the vitamin C, you'll probably just give yourself a belly-ache and maybe diarrhea.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Water soluble vitamin, you just pee extra out. I always am way over recommended amount and never have any gastrointestinal issue with it
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    You would have a hard time getting too much vitamin C from food. Diarrhea is the overdose symptom.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    When you eat a sweet potato you'll have the same question about vitamin A (you will be over).
    Know that there cannot be any harm from overdosing from food sources.
    It's when you start messing with high dose pills that "things" can happen.
  • teatumbles
    teatumbles Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Lol I usually eat about 1000% over and I've never had a problem with it. Whatever vitamin c your body doesn't need just gets peed out.
  • mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    There is an upper limit set at 2000mg per day. While it is a water soluble vitamin and MOST excess will be excreted it can cause problems if taken above the UL in the long term.

Too much can cause digestive problems and nose bleeds. Those with kidney disease have a greater risk of developing kidney stones and it's been thought that too much long term vitamin C can actually stimulate free radical activity instead of its normal antioxidant activity.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of people are saying here. It's soluble in water so when it goes through your kidneys, they'll filter out any excess you don't need and you'll pee it out.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    It's water soluble, so you just pee out the excess. If you take tons, you may have some digestive issues, but you'd have to be taking truly ridiculous quantities for that to happen.

Don't worry -- you'll be fine! :)
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    When you eat a sweet potato you'll have the same question about vitamin A (you will be over).
    Know that there cannot be any harm from overdosing from food sources.
    It's when you start messing with high dose pills that "things" can happen.

Actually it doesn't matter where you get your vitamins or other nutrients from, tablets or food, if you overdose, it's still an overdose, and in some cases can cause problems.