Still losing weight (and not bragging)

Options
Hi there,

It's very odd I seem to be losing weight still after being on maintenance for a month. I'm 5'4 and on 1550 - do a 5k 3 X a week and some light cycling otherwise I am sedantry.

I'm a hypochondriac so my first thought is am I ill ? I don't feel ill / tired.

I saw other posts and perhaps I need to readjust my goals but I am warey.

Thanks,

Cliff

Replies

• Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If you are losing and don't want to be just eat more calories or cut back on your workouts. Nothing else will help you stop losing weight.
  • localgrr
    localgrr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    OODone wrote: »
    If you are losing and don't want to be just eat more calories or cut back on your workouts. Nothing else will help you stop losing weight.

Thanks yeah it seems obvious, I guess I just fear getting back in to the habit of eating too much. I'm not exactly skin and bones.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for almost 6 months and I'm still losing. I have emotional/stress/boredom eating habits that I'm working on stopping, so I try to only eat when I'm hungry. It means I have 300-400 calories left on workout days because I'm not feeling hunger. I can eat those calorie no problem, but I think it's better for me to go with hunger (or not hungry in this case). I do do tiny bits of boredom eating like my coffee beans spread out over the afternoon and the diet Mt. Dew.

If you're losing like a pound a week or more, I'd go see my GP and ask for testing.
  • localgrr
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks you guys, always appreciate the love here <3:smiley: I guess the weird thing is that I'm losing at the same rate as when I was actually trying to lost, ha I could have been on maintenance this whole time !
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    Thanks you guys, always appreciate the love here <3:smiley: I guess the weird thing is that I'm losing at the same rate as when I was actually trying to lost, ha I could have been on maintenance this whole time !
    Often you subconsciously adjust your activity downwards in a deficit and raise it when you have more food - you feel more lively and energetic so do more. Which in turn means you need to eat more.

As other have said - just keep walking up your calories.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Good advice already given. The only thing I'll add is that if you've only been on maintenance for a month, then maybe give it some time. Most people don't lose weight (other than water weight) in their first month, so you won't necessarily stop losing weight immediately, either. Our bodies need a bit more time to adapt then us impatient folks are used to.

Keep track of what is working and what is not and just figure it out as you go along.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Good advice already given. The only thing I'll add is that if you've only been on maintenance for a month, then maybe give it some time. Most people don't lose weight (other than water weight) in their first month, so you won't necessarily stop losing weight immediately, either. Our bodies need a bit more time to adapt then us impatient folks are used to.

Keep track of what is working and what is not and just figure it out as you go along.

It took me a almost 5 weeks to get out of loosing weight when I moved or was trying to get my numbers right. It is just like loosing for me, it takes 3 - 4 weeks for that to start working and so did the maintenance..

OP, like all others, creep up the calories about a 100 calories to your daily goal, perhaps do that for a week and keep adding.. I know it is a pain, but to stop the loosing you gotta up the cals and/or cut back on the exercise calorie burns.

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    1550 calories sounds like maintenance for a 5'4" 36yo female who weights 120lb and is sedentary. You run a 5k 3x/week and cycle, which probably means you need to eat at least another ~150 calories/day.

How fast are you losing weight per week right now? Multiply that by 500 and that will tell you how many more calories you need to eat per day. Work your way up to that amount and check again.

Also, be aware that water weight can fluctuate pretty far. I was 175lb 2 days ago and I weigh 172lb today. So, make sure you aren't just looking at a small window of time (1 week is small).
  • localgrr
    Options
    How much do you weigh?
    currently 122lbs
    I guess I'll give it a few more weeks and see where I am, thanks all!

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    You sound just like me. I'm the same height and was right around the same weight when I hit maintenance. I increased calories to 1500-1550 and kept losing. I didn't believe for a second that I needed more than that amount. I actually maintain at 1700.
  • localgrr
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    You sound just like me. I'm the same height and was right around the same weight when I hit maintenance. I increased calories to 1500-1550 and kept losing. I didn't believe for a second that I needed more than that amount. I actually maintain at 1700.

Yummy ! That sounds awesome :D
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height, weigh 126, and maintenance for me is about 1800 without including exercise... I'm in a slight deficit to slim up a few lbs for summer, but I would say slowly increase your calories to find your sweet spot.
  • localgrr
    Options
    This is all great news ! Although I fear I will just spend the extra calories on Haribo :D
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    How much have you been losing lately? Suppose it's half a pound a week... If so, 250 extra calories a day would cancel that out. (250 * 7 = 1750 which is roughly half a pound of fat). That should be easy to get by adding one rich snack or dessert to your daily meal plan.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    If you're still losing weight then you aren't eating maintenance calories.... time to up your calories again.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Um how is 1500 plus exercise maitenance? I am your height and weigh very little and do the same amount of exercise and I maintain on 2100-2600. You can eat more :)