Interesting Body Composition Calculator

Options
So it is a bit fiddly, but what I found as far as a muscular potential calculator for women.

Per reddit the calculation here for women is presuming 20% body fat, though 12% is stated. You need to input everything in metric and also click over to another calculator (Navy tape for women) to get your current calculated lean mass.

Says my maximum is nearly the same weight I am now. Just need to swap out 14 pounds of fat for muscle. :D

Doesn't seem likely any time soon. And I'm really okay with that, just curious by nature.

strengtheory.com/your-drug-free-muscle-and-strength-potential-part-2/

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Hmm, i used the Linked calculator for women (navy tape) & it gave me 27% BF. Nope. I've had Bodpod in January & hydrostatic assessment a few months later after losing more weight & regular weight training and they tell me 20% which seems right.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Yeah that calculation didn't come out near accurate for me either ( bodpod done 9 weeks ago and monthly caliper testing from my trainer tell me a way different number then this calculator)
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Hmm, i used the Linked calculator for women (navy tape) & it gave me 27% BF. Nope. I've had Bodpod in January & hydrostatic assessment a few months later after losing more weight & regular weight training and they tell me 20% which seems right.
    Yeah that calculation didn't come out near accurate for me either ( bodpod done 9 weeks ago and monthly caliper testing from my trainer tell me a way different number then this calculator)

The calculator is to get an estimate of your maximum lean mass at 20% body fat. If you already know your body fat % then I would just plug that in and ignore the linked Navy tape calculator. I've gotten different numbers different places, but I know I still have fat to lose so don't see a real reason for something like bodpod or dexa yet.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I'm very confused. Wouldn't my maximum lean mass at 20% body fat be 80% of my weight, meaning I could just multiply my weight by 0.8 to get that number? What am I missing?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't think this works if you happen to have a wide pelvis bone and tiny wrists. Tried those calculators before and they all came back with ridiculous amounts of fat. At that time I had a six pack, but the wide bones messed up things. Doesn't work if you don't have a 'standard' female body.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I don't think this works if you happen to have a wide pelvis bone and tiny wrists. Tried those calculators before and they all came back with ridiculous amounts of fat. At that time I had a six pack, but the wide bones messed up things. Doesn't work if you don't have a 'standard' female body.

What is the world is a standard female body?

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I have no idea, but I guess mine isn't as those calculators give me huge amounts of bodyfat, which I simply don't have. The equations just assume: slim wrists, wide hips = fat person.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I'm very confused. Wouldn't my maximum lean mass at 20% body fat be 80% of my weight, meaning I could just multiply my weight by 0.8 to get that number? What am I missing?

Your current lean mass at 20% body fat is 80% of your current weight.

What this calculator is for is figuring out how much muscle you can put on while maintaining 20% BF and then from there estimating target lift (bench, squat, deadlift) amounts. So, if you weigh 150lb now and are at 20% BF you have 120lb of lean mass. However, this calculator may show that your maximum lean mass at 20%BF is estimated at 130lb, which would give you a goal bodyweight of 162.5lb.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I have no idea, but I guess mine isn't as those calculators give me huge amounts of bodyfat, which I simply don't have. The equations just assume: slim wrists, wide hips = fat person.
    Oh god, I have small wrists and big hips too!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    No calculator takes loose skin into account eh?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    No calculator takes loose skin into account eh?

And??? Skin is skin, whether its loose or not. Its a lean mass calculator.