When your job hosts potluck

Options
When your new position has a potluck and you get nominatedto make lemon bars and their not part of you calories but you help yourself to one anyways! #sweettoothF-IT

Replies

• amyvictoriaj
    amyvictoriaj Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hahah that's actually how I gained all my weight back was my previous job had contract with coca cola so you walked right up to the machine and pressed your soda button and BAM free soda...plus free oatmeal and popcorn AND catered lunches every other week lol
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,922 Member
    Options
    That's where climbing 30-40 flights of stairs a day comes in. :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @amyvictoriaj If you want a lemon bar, weigh it and log it before you eat it so you can plan it into your total day's intake. No need to fret! Also, if you want to completely avoid the potluck food or goodies in the refrigerator, a mind trick is to imagine them contaminated with botulism, e. coli, Salmonella, etc. It works for me! LOL!
  • amyvictoriaj
    amyvictoriaj Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hahah love it thank you @ketonekaren
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I've never understood this concept
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like the other yahoos on here who give smart *kitten* sounding advice, but what i have learned is that it really comes down to if you want eat the food or not. My job has potlucks all the time. When I first started on my program I did not even pay attention to the food. Now I will pick and choose what I am, but I am always mindful of what i am eating. Not to mention, at any given time there are donuts, candy or other junk in the break room. To be honest if I make my mind up that i am not going to eat, then I do not. If I decide to eat something, then I make sure I enjoy it.
  • pdo27789
    pdo27789 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I like what ketonekaren said. Log it, and adjust the rest of the day according. I couldn't resist a doughnut last week, so I went for a long walk that evening.

Maybe next time ask if you can bring your own recipe, not be nominated for something. We have a company BBQ / potluck next week, and I'm going to bring some homemade granola bars. They're tasty for the ones who want something sweet, yet healthy and portioned for the health conscious. Win win.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    That's where climbing 30-40 flights of stairs a day comes in. :)

I wish my office building's stair cases were open! They are strictly for emergency only, they set off the alarms if you enter them from any floor. :( I'm on the 10th floor and would love to use the staircase a few times a day.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    eat it, log it, move on.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The company keeps snacks in the kitchen. Since I've been on my mfp weight loss journey, I've inspired the official shopper to re-up her mfp devotion and get back on the wagon and lose her 8 extra pounds and she's thinking of my needs when she shops now so for my eats today I'm having her selection of Thinaddictives and Kind bars.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Hahah that's actually how I gained all my weight back was my previous job had contract with coca cola so you walked right up to the machine and pressed your soda button and BAM free soda...plus free oatmeal and popcorn AND catered lunches every other week lol

No, you gained weight because you ate more calories than you burned. You can eat / drink anything you want as long as you stay at or below maintenance.