Triathlon training and losing weight

Options
So I've decided to start training for a sprint triathlon (300 yd swim, 7.5 mi bike, 1.5 mi run) my concern is training so much and trying to eat the appropriate amount to fuel the long hours, but not overeat. Does anyone have experience with this? I follow flexible dieting and iifym at about a 20% deficit but that's with basic cardio and lifting a few times a week.

Replies

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Someone created a thread exactly the same as this a few days ago, do a quick search and you should be able to find it. Training for such a short distance super-sprint tri should not be especially demanding nor 'long hours', you can easily train for this on a deficit. Just concentrate on eating the right fuels at the right times.

What are your stats, how much weight are you looking to lose, how much training are you planning to do for the tri, how far away is it, what are your current abilities in each discipline?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the point above. For a short event you're only going to burn in the order of 600-700 cals. Your training sessions could get a bit higher but not as a matter of routine.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with @meanderingmammal, I would expect to complete that Tri in 45-50mins and burn around 360 calories. Now obviously we're all different levels of fitness and different shapes and sizes but general guidance is you need nothing more than water for exercise under 1hrs because you have plenty of fuel already in your bloodstream. You shouldn't need to worry at all about changing your diet for this training, just make sure you get enough lean protein throughout the day, eat carbs & protein after excersise for recovery and potentially have a carb snack before training if it's a long time since your last meal. Focus on your hydration and just meeting your daily macros with complex carbs, fruit, veg, wholegrains, lean protein, healthy fats etc. You'll smash this distance and be signing up for your next race before you know it
  • shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one on Independence Day and I don't plan to change my nutrition plan at all. I'm still working to lose weight and get into shape. I do plan to have a rest day on the 3rd, at least as much as possible. My goal is to finish in under 75 minutes at this point.
  • Heatherthecyclist
    Heatherthecyclist Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Agreed, this is a very short event, I would be done in just over half an hour so you really don't need to change your diet at all and it won't need any 'long hours'

Good luck with the training and hope it goes well
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Agree with the above posts, a super-sprint is a short enough event that there aren't any real fueling issues. I should warn you though........this is a gateway tri, you'll have fun and start thinking that maybe a sprint or Olympic doesn't sound so bad, next thing you know you're trying to qualify for Kona! :p
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My good friend is training for the same type of triathlon, and he's lost 30 pounds. There's no science behind this opinion, but I don't think you necessarily need to change what you eat (your caloric intake) while training. I think you get plenty of fuel from a normal diet. If you feel hungry all the time, maybe you need to adjust, but I'd cross that bridge when you come to it.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    My good friend is training for the same type of triathlon, and he's lost 30 pounds. There's no science behind this opinion, but I don't think you necessarily need to change what you eat (your caloric intake) while training. I think you get plenty of fuel from a normal diet. If you feel hungry all the time, maybe you need to adjust, but I'd cross that bridge when you come to it.

I should have read the other replies a little closer...sounds like a lot of people agree with me.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    "this is a gateway tri, you'll have fun and start thinking that maybe a sprint or Olympic doesn't sound so bad, next thing you know you're trying to qualify for Kona! "

@BrianSharpe - I was thinking the exact same thing. It doesn't take much for the addiction to take hold. ;)
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I agree completely with Brian & Djproulx. My son & I started doing mud fun runs 5 years ago. We moved on to sprint tri's later and now we're training for Ironman Panama City. It can be addicting!

Oh, and I forgot to add good luck & enjoy yourself! Don't worry too much about changing your eating for this event. You will if/when you start training for longer distances.
  • Jacquitheelder
    Jacquitheelder Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Tri's are addictive. I did my first 9 in 2004, 3 or 4 in 2095 then hurricane Katrina hit and I lost interest. Getting reinterested now. They are a blast