I've always dieted and it never works

Options
Hey! Since I'm like 13 my parents had make me diet to lose weight even though I didn't think I was fat or something like that. The diets never "worked" and I became a bit obsessed about it. The diets they forced on me stopped when I was 19 and I started eating the whole world and my weight went up to 157lbs when I'm 157cm tall x.x.
I've lost weight the unhealthy way and now I'm 22 and around 123lbs, but my doctors say I should weight something around 110 because I'm small and have very light bones. I'm struggling to lose weight because I've tried so many different diets that never really worked. So yeah, I guess I need some help. When I was a teenager the different diets I tried were with nutritionists and I don't trust that anymore because of everything that has happened.

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    All you need to do is to consume less calories than you burn. That's it.
  • dlcshan
    dlcshan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If "dieting" doesn't work for you, try focusing on making small changes in your eating. Examples are hard to give without knowing your current eating habits. Increasing your protein to help protect against muscle loss would be a good idea though.

Also, try doing strength training to add muscle which will increase your calorie burn long term. 13 pounds isn't that much over what you're trying to get to. If you go this route, you should probably ignore the scale though, because the numbers will more likely go up rather than down from adding muscle. Body measurements and body fat % will give a better idea of what your body is actually doing than the scale will.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I would question a doctor who is saying you "need" to be (or "should be") at 110 at your height. I'm about 2 cm shorter than you, and am great at 125 lbs or so. I can't imagine being 110. To be fair, I do have a lower body fat than some women at my weight ... but that can be achieved.

Here is a good resource:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

The basic idea is to eat at maintenance level and do a progressive strength training program. There isn't any single "diet" that will be the key to success. You need to find an eating plan that works for you, that meets your calorie needs and, especially for recomposition, your macro (carbs, fats, proteins) needs. It can be low carb, vegetarian, paleo, "clean," IIFYM, or whatever else you prefer - find something you will enjoy and stick with long term.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is in the healthy range. Has your doctor explained why s/he wants you to be even lower?