Thinking about doing a spartan race

Options
I am currently 257 pounds and can run 3-5 miles without stopping (not fast but steady). I have some friends that i goto church with that are doing 1 in 2 months... approx 10 weeks. I am currently in the process of cutting weight and changing my life. Is this something i should do. I love sports and love a challenge. However, i didn't know if my current weight would cause me all sorts of problems at race time.... if i were to lose 2 poinds a week which i am averaging, i could be around 235 at 6ft 1. I am a male btw. Thoughts?

Replies

• Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Bump....
    Anyone with experience doing these? Warrior dashes, anything? Will i be in the way and ridiculed for doing it?
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have no experience with Spartan, but I'm training for a tough mudder in new orleans. When I posted a similar question, the responses I got were mostly to be able to run at least a 5k (preferably more) work on upper body strength (and all over conditioning), and the general consensus was that the Spartan was more difficult in that if you didn't complete an obstacle, you had to do the burpees of death to move on and that it was more each man for himself. (someone with spartan experience, please feel free to chime in here)
    My completely unprofessional opinion? Go for it-you said you love a challenge. Add strength training to your workouts and see how you do-you may love it and find yourself wanting to truly prepare for another, you may decide that it's not your cup of tea, but either way, you'll have tried it!
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping more people will comment. There are several posters who have completed races like this.

I'm training for my first Spartan, and from what I've heard, you really want upper body and grip strength. There are many obstacles that require you to maneuver your body weight. Up over a wall, up a slippery inclined wall, up a rope, traversing along a wall, etc. Being lighter makes doing something like that easier. I'm focusing a lot of effort on my grip strength (which is pretty pathetic at this point). The penalty for failing to complete an obstacle, or choosing to skip it, is 30 burpees I think.

A lot of people wear sport cameras for the race, and post the videos on YouTube, sped up so you can see the obstacles. If you do a search for a spartan sprint (the shortest distance at 3-5 miles) you can see the kinds of obstacles you might encounter. My opinion is the same as Caitlin's. You love a challenge (me too!) and training for this just might get you in the best shape of your life. I'm stronger now than I've ever been. And worst case you try and fail some obstacles and have to do a lot of burpees in the mud. That sounds like fun to me. And honestly, some really fit looking people fail a few obstacles. It's not really a "failure." Just practice a lot of burpees!
  • Noelani1503
    Options
    Oh and for the every man for himself thing, make sure you sign up to run an open heat. Not elite or competitive. I can't attest to what it's like to run one, but in the couple of videos I've seen, there were people helping others with a couple of the obstacles, like a boost to get over a wall or something. But that stuff probably won't happen if you sign up as a competitor.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    Awesome... thanks for info! I've looked at some of the videos. It's amazing how different locations have different obstacles... the one I'm likely to do is in nashville in August. There is actually a video of someone running this last year... wonder how close the course will be to being the same?
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My friends have done a cpl and it's my understanding that no one is there demanding the 30 burpee rule! Perhaps for the elite side but not for the others. Each said they loved doing it, but it is hard. Not sure how many obstacles they skipped. Think it would be better running as a "team" with your friends for emotional support.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've done several. I think you'll do fine. You have a decent cardio base, but I'd definitely work on upper body strength since there are a lot of obstacles in which you pull yourself up and/or over. Bear crawls, farmers carries are good too. And definitely throw some burpees and hill running into your training. I haven't been to a flat course yet.

Are you planning to run it alone? It's not impossible, it's just more fun with some pals.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Which Spartan race are you considering?
    I have done a Spartan beast, but would recommend starting with a sprint if you are currently at 3-5 miles. A lot of the course mileage can be very hilly (depending on the location) and therefore you will definitely want to prepare by doing some hills or trail running.

I say do it! It is a fun challenge. Don't go in trying for a certain "time", just focus on completing it for your first one. Definitely do some strength training, but I have talked to far more people that struggled with cardiovascular fitness, especially because if your strength fails, you do burpees. Also, if you are doing things with your friends, consider if you guys will be doing this as a team and how your fitness aligns with theirs. It is fun to work as a team and do it together, but you don't want to have them trying to get a PR, while you are just trying to finish.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    I have friends going as well but they are in much better shape than i am. So i am sure they will be done much quicker than myself
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I assume you're thinking of a Sprint? I haven't done a Spartan race, but have done the Warrior Dash a few times. The obstacles aren't that challenging - I saw people more overweight than you there. The obstacles are laid out so that you don't run more than probably a half a mile for any given stretch before hitting another obstacle and giving you time to catch your breath. Give it a whirl!
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I haven't done a Spartan yet (1st one on Saturday!) BUT I have done a Tough Mudder, a handful of Warrior Dashes, and something called a Mud Gauntlet.

As long as you choose an open heat, people should be willing to help, especially if you plan on running with your friends. Also - Spartan has 3 lengths - you should probably start with a Sprint.

If nothing else, you can walk the length of the course and if you fail an obstacle - so what? Do your burpees and move on. As long as you make an attempt at everything and keep pushing - that's what matters.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    Two months of solid training and running will couple with weight loss ... i will be able to tell a distinct difference in those two months, right?
  • Noelani1503
    Options
    Two months of solid training and running will couple with weight loss ... i will be able to tell a distinct difference in those two months, right?

I can't imagine not noticing a difference. If you're already losing weight steadily, you must have some good habits in place. Couch to 5k is an 8 week program I think. Think of the progress people make in just 2 months doing something like that. I would really encourage you to add some strength training in if you haven't already. I've been doing it for maybe 5 weeks now, and I certainly haven't packed on a lot of muscle, but my muscles have adapted and I'm much stronger than I was when I started.
  • Brocksterdanza
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm at end of a diet bet that weighs in the final time on Sunday... i will start the strength training then for sure. I am a teacher and can work out every day if i needed to. I have an elliptical that i hit each day or two in our bonus room. I know for sure i won't be able to do rope climb... but the others seem obtainable
  • rubrink
    rubrink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Assuming it's the Sprint, I would do it if I were you. I've done a few of them, and they're great challenges. Just go running (do some trails if you can find them..or do some hill work), work on strength and grip...and do burpees. You'll be happy you did it, I guarantee it
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Which Spartan race (distance and venue) are you doing? Believe me - it makes a difference.

Regardless, you should absolutely sign up and do it. Assuming you have no medical issues that would prevent you from doing it. I've seen very large people complete very hard races. It is all willpower.

Continue your training. Eat healthy to help lose weight and properly fuel your workouts. Mix in cardio and strength training. If you already have a good 5k base, then start a 10k training program. Don't rush through it to make it fit before the race, but help build up your cardio and endurance with a proper training program. Also start doing some body weight exercises and strength building. Upper body, lower body, grip, etc. You want overall fitness. Get used to doing some burpees. I'd really recommend working with a trainer if you are not sure how to properly train your body. This will help reduce risk of injury. Even if you just meet once or twice for evaluation and to help devise a training plan. You can improve your fitness and weight loss a TON in 2 months if you are serious and consistent.

As for during the race, definitely do the open heat. Go and have fun. Do your best. If your friends don't want to help you, I promise you will find awesome Spartans along the way to help you over obstacles and give you encouragement. I ran quite a few races when I was heavier and less experienced by myself and I made quite a few friends along the way during the race! If you can't do an obstacle, just do your burpees and move on. Doesn't matter how long it takes you to finish - you are still a finisher and I promise that finish line will feel amazing! There is a high probability you will become hooked and start training for the next one ;)

Feel free to message me with any other questions. I don't check the boards often. I have a good amount of experience with OCR ;)