Vegan Looking to Gain

Options
Hello all! I am attempting to gain weight and in search of any ideas, recipes, food or protein suggestions, support & advice. I am a vegan (although I do eat cheese & cakes/desserts). I weigh about 130 and am shooting for 155, I'm 5'9. I will be doing cardio but will also be working w/ weights. Thanx in advance!! Feel free to add me! :)

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to gain, why don't you skip the cardio and just do weights until you hit your goal. After you hit your goal, you can play around with cardio and make sure it doesn't make you start losing weight again.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of calorie-dense vegan food. In fact, I think I'd gain if I was a vegan because of nuts & nut butters.
  • OliverFiles
    OliverFiles Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'd skip heavy cardio and keep it to maybe a brisk walk since heavy cardio creates a bigger calorie deficit that you'll have to fill with eating more food, which you'll have even more so since you're trying to gain weight.
    Lift more heavy things instead, if you can lift it more than 15 times without much effort those last reps, get something heavier.
    There's vegan protein powders, made from soy or pea protein, if you want to go that route. If not, legumes and nuts for your protein... or Tofu, but preparing it before you cook it is such a pain in the butt.
  • brianmrutledge
    brianmrutledge Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fellow vegan here - the best way to gain weight on a vegan diet is the same as a non-vegan diet: calorie surplus. The key is to not just eat garbage like chips and cake because it's "vegan." Bean dishes work great because of the high protein and carbs. I also use SunWarrior brand protein powder, since it's a complete protein source. Banana, peanut butter, a little almond milk and a few scoops of that will have you going. I'm a vegan who is also a personal trainer so send me a message if you have any Q's...and thank you for being vegan!