First Run Pain

Options
susancudworth
susancudworth Posts: 11 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I went for my first run yesterday. I ran 2 miles, walking 1 minute and running a minute. Today my legs are heavy and tired and I can hardly lift them. I've plodded round the field with my dog. I'm suppose to do it again tomorrow. Have I done to much to soon or should I get a grip

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    there is a difference in "injury" pain and pain from the recovery from exercise. it would not be uncommon to feel like you are after first starting. I suspect that tomorrow you will feel better. and its a good idea to just do every other day starting out or even taking two days off after a few every other days. just start slow and be patient. what you don't want to happen is go to hard then have to stop.
  • rph2t
    rph2t Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I always trust how I feel DURING the run most. If you managed it, and it didn't hurt at the time, you're likely just dealing with soreness. The only way to overcome soreness is to wait it out, drink lots of water, make sure you're getting your potassium and stretching a bit. After that, the best way is to press on. It should get easier, and if you're so sore or it's painful to run tomorrow, cut yourself some slack.

Be very wary of injury. When I started running I can't tell you how many times I rolled an ankle or pulled something and it set me back. Make sure you warm up thoroughly. Don't stretch before, as that weakens your muscles, but do dynamic movements, like walking quickly, jumping jacks, some nice strong lunges, etc.

You've done the hardest part. You got started. Now just keep going. It's worth it.
  • 1992fx3
    1992fx3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You should find a couch to 5k app and use that for training runs, for the first week of runs take two days off between runs instead of one. It's normal to have muscle fatigue and aches when you first start, the extra day of rest will help.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Two miles seems like a bit much for someone who is just starting (even with the run/walk routine). I'm not sure what the C25K program does on day one but I can't imagine you would workout for more than 20-30 minutes....
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Two miles seems like a bit much for someone who is just starting (even with the run/walk routine). I'm not sure what the C25K program does on day one but I can't imagine you would workout for more than 20-30 minutes....

This.
    It's always 30 minutes, but I think my first day was less than a mile, at best. Nowhere close to 2 miles.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    C25K is a lot of walking at first I thought..

OP you are suffering post DOMS and it will go away in a couple of days. Doing it again tomorrow be quite uncomfortable for sure.

DOMS can take 1 - 2- 3 max to get over. The more serious yours is the longer. Eat and recover and then get back out there.

Did you just get off the couch and go running? If so, bad idea.. you know not only does your cardio vascular system needs to get into shape, but you train slowly to get your joints, ligaments and even your bones used to running, think about how much pounding you put on your body it is not used to. This takes time.
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    No need to go 2 miles on the first day, there's no rush. You didn't get out of shape overnight and you can't get back in shape overnight. +1 on getting started with C25K. It will ramp you up slowly
  • susancudworth
    susancudworth Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok, I've given running a miss today and brisk walked instead for 30 mins. I did have an 8 week plan, which said only run for 7 minutes on off with walking. However, I am reasonably fit (I think) as I have a dog i walk just about everyday so I thought I could manage more. Clearly not!! I'll stick to the plan next time, lesson learnt. Thanks folks.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    A common problem when starting out is going to fast on the running bits. I struggled a little with than at the start of my C25K but things improved a lot when I slowed down the running sections initially to not much faster than my fast walk pace. Having said that I suspect there is always going to be a bit of pain when you first start out, until your body gets used to it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're just fatigued but I agree with the others you most likely did too much, too fast. Take today as a recovery day and see how you feel tomorrow. If you've been reasonably inactive for a while you may want to go with something like 5 min walking, 1 min slow running (conversational pace), rinse & repeat until you've done about 30 minutes. You can certainly walk every day but the running, at least at first, should be on alternate days. After a week or so walk 4 min run 2 etc until you can run continuously for 10 min or so and then gradually build up from there.

If you google the Galloway Method you'll see that there are a lot of people who advocate a 10 min run / 1 min walk method, even for longer distance races with very experienced runners (you'll even see pace bunnies at bigger races with walk/run times)