Issues with Meal Timing/habits

Options
2»

Replies

• blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Honestly, at 1200-1300, is it possible you just aren't eating enough? I know it's simple, but sometimes simple is the answer. I know your doctor recommended it but was that a dietitian?

@Hornsby and @sidesteel

This is something I have considered and am willing to up my cals to maybe see if that helps-

My doc is not a dietitian but is a naturopath (a very good one) but he had suggested the not eating enough thing to me before as well, only when I had an issue before but not for this current issue

I think the eating more often thing might help as well

Thank you both! These considerations I think will help me tweak my eating so that I can stop this and help me break this habit
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You lost me at naturopath...

I'm out, and good luck.
  • blukitten
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Can you try eating a couple of hundred calories less at work and pre-log a snack when you get home? I am a late night snacker and what worked for me was pre-logging my day to include a snack after dinner.

It's possible also that you aren't really "hungry" at this time, your body is just in the habit of being fed at that time. You might try chewing gum or using mints, do something for a few minutes that requires concentration to get your mind off of it, or something like that.

Finally, I don't know your stats, but 1300 cals is pretty low. If you are losing weight faster than 1 lb per week, go ahead and eat a little more.

@kimny72

Great suggestion! Thank you! I think maybe pre-logging a larger snack might work! and I think I need to seriously contemplate if maybe I am just not eating enough as several have suggested.

I am not currently losing weight (I am pretty sure because of the occasional, more often than I would like) binge from the intense hunger that I have done from this (while yes I tend to keep control of this binge, and its more of a picking (couple bites of this, couple bites of that) than a binge). I have been able to stave it off on some days but on a lot of days I just cant and give in to the hunger and start with a healthy protein snack but I am still hungry after this and grab a serving of crackers, then a serving of chips (yeah unhealthy foods that I need to get out of my house as well), then some protein in some form, so the cals add up by the time I am done "picking"

and I think you are most definitely right! I have thought this too- that I am not really "hungry" at this time, my body is just in the habit of being fed at that time. I am going to try going for a swim in my pool today when I get off and see if that helps or stops it, or enables me to ignore it long enough to wait for dinner..
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Even though your doctor recommends a certain eating plan everybody is different and you need to figure out what works for you.

Getting "hungry" and wanting to eat at certain time is certainly just a habit, as you've correctly identified. Lots of good suggestions have been given. Maybe shifting your calories around throughout the day will help. And just because a certain method worked the first time you lost weight, it doesn't mean it will always work. We, and the circumstances in our lives are ever changing.

For that afternoon hunger feeling, is there something else you really enjoy, such as reading a book or browsing something on the internet? If so, do that first, for a short, set period of time each day. This will eventually change the "hunger" habit to something else.
  • blukitten
    Options
    @BZAH10

Thank you! yes I think that is a very good idea! I think I am going to go swimming today and try to replace the "eating when I get home habit" with a swim.

Hopefully, I can trade this habit I have developed with a healthier one- swimming!

I know eventually I will stop getting hungry at this time if I can stave it off long enough to change the habit

And that is true- I think I need to up my calories- if I up them - I will still be at a deficit to lose weight - my only concern about doing this is my health issue but that should be controlled now with the med I am taking
  • blukitten
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    You lost me at naturopath...

I'm out, and good luck.

@Hornsby

Ok, thank you for the responses though! I truly appreciate them and the effort :smile:
  • blukitten
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has replied to this post,

Especially the genuine interest in helping me and giving good suggestions!

So many good suggestions and things to consider in resolving this issue!

Thanks again!

I think the responses so far have given me enough consensus on what the issue might be and ways I can resolve it!