Can't sleep....

Options
So, ever since I started dieting, I'm having a really hard time falling asleep. I am up at 6 am every day and can't sleep until 1 or 2 am. Whyyyy? Is it something to do with dieting and exercise or is it just me?

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Are you working out in the evening? If so, that's your problem! Exercise keeps your body awake!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling hungry when trying to sleep, that can disrupt your sleep cycle. For some people, exercising later in the day can keep them from getting a good night's sleep.
  • avenathus
    avenathus Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've been experiencing this. I think it's because I work out in the evening. Unfortunately there's not really a better time for me to work out! So I've just been tolerating it as much as I can for now heh.
  • mnsmith83
    mnsmith83 Posts: 128
    Options
    I have the same problem! Well I have for a while before the "change", but it's driving me nuts too! Probably doesnt help that Tiff wants to walk/jog at 10pm most days lol. But if you find a solution, please share!!
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I've been experiencing this. I think it's because I work out in the evening. Unfortunately there's not really a better time for me to work out! So I've just been tolerating it as much as I can for now heh.

Ditto here

When I first started losing the calorie burn coupled with the loss of weight was providing more energy ( I weighed less so could do more) and now with Strength and Cardio in the afternoons - I'm usually 1am to 2 am before I hit the hay.
    I'm REALLY working on trying to switch to an AM
  • MsKittyCAT
    MsKittyCAT Posts: 217
    Options
    If you are using any kind of diet aid or appetite suppressant it could contain caffeine or natural energy boosters that are keeping you awake.

Insomnia has long been a problem for me so I'll be checking back to see if anyone has good advice I haven't already tried.
  • MsKittyCAT
    MsKittyCAT Posts: 217
    Options
    If you are using any kind of diet aid or appetite suppressant it could contain caffeine or natural energy boosters that are keeping you awake.

Insomnia has long been a problem for me so I'll be checking back to see if anyone has good advice I haven't already tried.
  • AutieHamilton
    Options
    Lol. Well, at least I'm not the only one with this problem... :-)
  • AutieHamilton
    Options
    I don't take any diet pills or whatnot, and I don't even drink but a half a cup of coffee per day. I try to excersise around 6 in the evening usually because that's the only time I have to do so. :-(

If I find out anything, I'll post it, for sure.

Isn't it more difficult to lose weight when you're not getting adequate rest, too?

Ugh. Catch-22.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    sometimes it just has to to with all the abundance of energy you have "unlocked" by eating better and now your body wants to burn it off.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    In addition to many things, most exercise gives you energy; your muscles, brain, heart, blood pressure etc are all stimulated. Therefore exercising within 3hours of bed will may make it harder for you to fall asleep. If you are unable to work out in the morning or over lunch, try pushing the workout back a few hours. The workout (referring to cardiovascular) will raise your body temperature above normal a few hours before bed (thermogenic hypothesis), allowing it to start falling just as you're getting ready for bed. If you work out multiple times per day, you may try doing cardiovascular exercises in the morning and strength training (no like circuit training or combination workouts) in the evening.

Other things to consider:
    -Has your new diet changed your sleeping routine. Our bodies like habit and prefer to go to bed and wake at roughly the same time each day.
    -how are you meals spaced? If your heaviest meal is left for the evening it may interfere with sleeping. Sometimes on new eating health kicks people nibble throughout the day and eat a heavy dinner
    -lastly, sometimes people get so consumed with calorie counting they forget to look at the overall make up of their diet. So be sure not to forget things like caffeine, alcohol and sodium as things that may hinder sleep.
  • AutieHamilton
    Options
    In addition to many things, most exercise gives you energy; your muscles, brain, heart, blood pressure etc are all stimulated. Therefore exercising within 3hours of bed will may make it harder for you to fall asleep. If you are unable to work out in the morning or over lunch, try pushing the workout back a few hours. The workout (referring to cardiovascular) will raise your body temperature above normal a few hours before bed (thermogenic hypothesis), allowing it to start falling just as you're getting ready for bed. If you work out multiple times per day, you may try doing cardiovascular exercises in the morning and strength training (no like circuit training or combination workouts) in the evening.

Other things to consider:
    -Has your new diet changed your sleeping routine. Our bodies like habit and prefer to go to bed and wake at roughly the same time each day.
    -how are you meals spaced? If your heaviest meal is left for the evening it may interfere with sleeping. Sometimes on new eating health kicks people nibble throughout the day and eat a heavy dinner
    -lastly, sometimes people get so consumed with calorie counting they forget to look at the overall make up of their diet. So be sure not to forget things like caffeine, alcohol and sodium as things that may hinder sleep.

That helps! I've always eaten my biggest meal in the evening. I would like to change that anyway. Lunch = biggest meal? I hate breakfast.

I'll try that.

Thanks!
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    It could related to what your eating. Healthy foods work better in your body. Junk foods can make your body feel sluggish. If you are eating healthy it could be in response to your body not being sluggish to bad foods.
  • Sectoral
    Sectoral Posts: 1
    Options
    If you're exercising in the evening that's why also if you're using something that you're addicted too, like video games, facebook, Iphone.. etc.