Low cal/Higher protein Snack ideas? Anyone?

Options
Hi, I am looking for some ideas for some snacks between meals that are lower in calories and high in protein. The problem I run into is that I am allergic to nuts. So, that takes out a lot of good proteins. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Protein, by and large, isn't going to be very low calorie.

That being said, my personal favorite between meal snack is Greek yogurt. I find that especially with a thicker brand (Fage 2% or total, or Chobani) are especially filling.
  • Meglm1117
    Meglm1117 Posts: 70
    Options
    Do you like boiled egg whites? MMMM that's one of my favs, light cheese, yogurt, milk, beef jerky tho you gotta eat that moderately because of the amount of sodium!
  • Sk1nnyMoo
    Sk1nnyMoo Posts: 18
    Options
    i like plain, nonfat greek yogurt.
  • PapaGrande1
    Options
    Hi...My wife seasons then bakes garbanzo beans (chickpeas)...they are high in protein, really good for you, and tasty as well...Also soy beans are good toasted. I like the snack size cottage cheese..I add salsa, chopped green onions, black olives...Dynamite
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    beef jerky but kinda high in sodium.
  • bluebelle00
    Options
    I go with Dannon light & fit yogurt - 80 cals. It's sort of high in sugar though...
  • drmelvis
    drmelvis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like the Eas - Advantedge Carb Control Shake -- Chocolate Fudge, 11 oz but you may need to check the ingredient list.
    2 oz cheese with a fruit, 1 cup cottage cheese with a 1/4 cup berries, beef or turkey jerky. Can you eat hummus? If you can you could try 1/8 cup hummus with veggies, low carb tortilla with hummus and veggies.

Hope this helps.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I cook up a bunch of chicken breast tenderloins during the week (in a pan with just salt and pepper). They're only about an ounce each, which is ~25 calories, and 6g protein. I use them primarily for salads, but if I'm hungry, I'll grab one plain (or w/mustard) as a snack.
  • Buckeye_Jenn
    Buckeye_Jenn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like to get good deli meat, sliced medium, and then roll it up and eat it as a snack. The higher quality ones like Boar's Head or Dietz & Watson have good nutritionals and the protein keeps me full.
  • hmeller
    hmeller Posts: 1
    Options
    Turkey pepperoni stick, Danone high protein yogurt (I think it is called Lifesense or Balance or something, its in a pink container in Canada anyway) Boiled Egg whites, cheesestring, Handful of almonds (alhtough that isn't really low cal). I find what the myfitnesspal website gives as a protein goal each day is not high enough, as protein definitely curbs hunger way longer than carbs do.
  • froggy15
    froggy15 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • cherri2082
    cherri2082 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been using bodybyvi shakes - check them out! Very yummy and not a lot of carbs!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% Greek yogurt, hard boiled egg whites w/ dijon mustard, Polly-O cheese sticks, half a protein bar, all of these are under 100 calories.