Having trouble determining a goal.....

Options
Hi All. I've been doing MFP consistently since January 2016 and am down 43 lbs. I knew when I started that my goal was to get under 200 lbs. I am 6 lbs away from that. Trouble is - I don't have a clue what I want to do from there. The ideal weight for my height is 116 - 135. I think I would look sick if I got that small. Truth be told - I've never been at an ideal weight for myself so I have no idea where I would want to be. I know this sounds crazy. I'm in uncharted waters. Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I think you should just evaluate as you go. When you feel good, stop. If you want to later lose more, keep going. It's all up to you. It's not so important having that specific weight, you know?
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't know what my end goal is. My first goal is to get to 147, which is the weight I was when I first met my fiancé. Still overweight for my height.

I'm just going to keep going from there until I like what I see. I've never been a healthy weight in mt adult life so I don't know what fits right with my body.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Congratulations on your achievements!

Instead of focusing on goals you don't want to achieve (although I don't necessarily agree with your reasons, that isn't for me to say), perhaps you should think about what you want in life. Why did you start MFP in the first place? Was it to look or feel better, get stronger, have more energy, get healthy, etc?

Once you can answer this question, take a look around. Who is achieving the goals you want? How are they doing it? Are they using techniques you could envision yourself using? What weight range are they achieving these goals in?

None of us can tell you what your goals should be. It's way too personal and individual of a thing. That said, if I was pressed to give you an answer, here's what I would say:

I personally am not a huge believer in BMI as a tool to determine ideal weight for height (there are too many things not accounted for), but if you're 60-80 pounds over the range for height as you say, I would be willing to bet you will feel better and better as you lose.

I would set a goal to lose 10# and then re-evaluate. If you aren't exercising I hope you start. I think you'll find you don't look sick with the weight loss at all.

I wish you the best of luck in wherever your journey takes you!
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If you're not sure what weight is right for you, start with mini-goals. Once you get below 200 pounds, aim to lose another 10 pounds (as an example), once you reach that goal ask yourself if you are happy with the way you look and feel. If you're not, set another mini-goal. Keep going until you reach a weight that you're satisfied with.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    A good first goal is the maximum of the normal BMI range. Then you can see from there.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My big main goal is the upper end of healthy for my height. I'm 6', highest possible weight for "healthy" is around 183, my goal is 180 for now. My "ideal weight" is around 165. I figure I'll start w/healthy range and consider future goals from there.

When I was at my heaviest near 300, I thought a healthy weight would be far too thin. It's amazing how the perspective will change as you get closer. It certainly can't hurt to make your way down one smaller goal at a time.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Great loss!
    I also like the mini goal approach others mentioned, every 10lbs or however you decide to go, reevaluate and see what you want to do.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have a weight goal - that's just a number and doesn't really matter.
    More important is how you feel - are you healthy, are you feeling comfortable at the current weight?
    If so, maybe consider practicing maintaining at this weight for a while and then reevaluate in a few months and decide if you want to lose some more then.
    I've come to the conclusion that losing weight is the easy part of this process, it's the maintenance that is the killer, so any time practicing that skill can only be a good thing.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    lalepepper wrote: »
    My big main goal is the upper end of healthy for my height. I'm 6', highest possible weight for "healthy" is around 183, my goal is 180 for now. My "ideal weight" is around 165. I figure I'll start w/healthy range and consider future goals from there.

When I was at my heaviest near 300, I thought a healthy weight would be far too thin. It's amazing how the perspective will change as you get closer. It certainly can't hurt to make your way down one smaller goal at a time.

I agree with this. I have changed my goal twice now, each time a bit lower. You might be surprised at how you feel once you get there.
  • wickedmaineah
    wickedmaineah Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My main goal has been to get to 180. But in the back of my mind I am just like you. I just want to see below 200! Congrats on all you have done so far. Your transformation in your pic is awesome.
    Set small goals. I still use the 10 lb goal and get so excited when I hit it. I am close to hitting the 20 lb mark and that is motivating me!
    Send a request to add you. :)
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I started at 275lbs with the goal of getting to 200lbs. From there i changed it to the top end of healthy weight range for my height, about 155lbs. As my losses have slowed to a crawl, i've changed my goal to running a marathon. Sometimes it helps to focus on something other than a number on a scale.

Congrats on your progress so far and good luck nailing down your next goal!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,048 Member
    Options
    Hi All. I've been doing MFP consistently since January 2016 and am down 43 lbs. I knew when I started that my goal was to get under 200 lbs. I am 6 lbs away from that. Trouble is - I don't have a clue what I want to do from there. The ideal weight for my height is 116 - 135. I think I would look sick if I got that small. Truth be told - I've never been at an ideal weight for myself so I have no idea where I would want to be. I know this sounds crazy. I'm in uncharted waters. Anyone else have this problem?

When you get to 199, take a little break and then start aiming for 180. Another 20 lbs down. When you get there, take a little break and start aiming for 160. Another 20 lbs down. Who knows, maybe that's where you'll decide to stop ... or maybe you'll go for 140. Another 20 lbs down ...

And yes, focus on some fitness goals. Do you have a hike in your area you'd like to do? Or a marathon? Or a triathlon? Or a cycling event? Or ... ??

I don't actually have a goal weight. I did in the beginning ... I wanted to lose 15 kg. When I got there, I figured I'd lose some more and see where I ended up. I lost another 11 kg. Now I'm not sure. In a way I'd kind of like to lose another 2-3 kg ... but on the other hand, it's not really necessary ...