Is it weird I take ingredients off

Options
I am picky and feel I'm the only in the world that takes off ingredients on my food. Its nothing major like cheese off of a salad or something spicy. It obviously helps w the diet but I just feel like I'm alone bc people think it's strange. How does anyone else cope when you are dieting/taking off stuff?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Just . . . remove what you don't want to eat? There are lots of picky people in the world and there are lots of people who don't care for specific ingredients.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Why would you cook with them just to take them off?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Just . . . remove what you don't want to eat? There are lots of picky people in the world and there are lots of people who don't care for specific ingredients.

Err, yes. Exactly.

Is there anyone who hasn't removed an item they don't like from their meal at some point?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I take croutons off every salad.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Almost everybody picks out or leaves something. That's completely normal. People also think a lot of things about lots of things that doesn't really concern us, and sometimes they don't and it's just in our imagination. You have to decide yourself if the picking warrants reducing the calorie count of what you are logging.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I take croutons off every salad.

I never eat the zucchini out of mixed vegetables.

(I take off croutons too).
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Seems like we're missing some pertinent information here. From your OP, it sounds like you were out to eat with others and when you removed items from your plate they made comments about it. Rude on their part, but an entirely normal thing to do on your part. Or, order the food without the things you dislike so that there's no waste.

Or, I could have completely misunderstood.
  • WalkingQueen1979
    WalkingQueen1979 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Seems like we're missing some pertinent information here. From your OP, it sounds like you were out to eat with others and when you removed items from your plate they made comments about it. Rude on their part, but an entirely normal thing to do on your part. Or, order the food without the things you dislike so that there's no waste.

No you're partially right I am polite when I tell the server like I said no cheese on my salad so he said do you have a food allergy I was no just not a cheese fan.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If I get something that has mushrooms or anchovies on it (which I don't order but someone else may order it like my husband)..

I also hate cooked tomatoes in my Mexican fajitas.. Not that I don't like tomatoes but I don't like them slimy and cooked and wrinkled looking..its a texture thing!

But never to save calories.. only because I hate gross stuff on my food... so in part, no that is not crazy at all.

I take off the croutons now as well! :)
  • WalkingQueen1979
    WalkingQueen1979 Posts: 119 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I just feel weird about it but I'll order without the stuff I don't want I do the same when cooking. I figured I can't be the only one lol
  • janejellyroll
    Options

No you're partially right I am polite when I tell the server like I said no cheese on my salad so he said do you have a food allergy I was no just not a cheese fan.

Sometimes they will ask that question because they need to know if your food needs to be prepared in a special way (someone who is allergic to something should often avoid not just that food, but foods that have been in contact with that food). They're probably asking because they want to be extra-careful with the health of people with allergies, that's all.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    No need to feel weird. Nothing wrong with asking if a dish can be altered more to your liking. I do that all the time and I've never had a waiter / waitress ask me why. THAT to me seems like the weird thing. It's not really any of their business and keep in mind that that's not a usual occurrence so don't let that stop you from making requests at restaurants in the future.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    It's not weird. Everyone has different tastes. I still eat "kid burgers" (Bread, meat, and cheese only, plain and dry). I also don't like red cabbage, croutons, or tomatoes in my salad. I place my orders to reflect that, but occasionally something will get left on the burger or in the salad, and I take it right off/out. Except I'll send a burger back for new bread over some tomatoes. They make the bread soggy and taste like tomato. I've never had anyone look at me weird for it. Point is, you're not alone, and no one finds it odd :)
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I don't eat dressing; on salads, sandwiches, no dipping sauce for fries. I've gotten comments. I just laugh with them
  • ctoavs76
    ctoavs76 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's not weird. Everyone has different tastes. I still eat "kid burgers" (Bread, meat, and cheese only, plain and dry). I also don't like red cabbage, croutons, or tomatoes in my salad. I place my orders to reflect that, but occasionally something will get left on the burger or in the salad, and I take it right off/out. Except I'll send a burger back for new bread over some tomatoes. They make the bread soggy and taste like tomato. I've never had anyone look at me weird for it. Point is, you're not alone, and no one finds it odd :)

I'm with you on the tomato thing. They can ruin a perfectly good bun!

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    "Salad no dressing no croutons", "Entree' sauce on the side". They are there to make you happy and if you want less than they offer it's more profit for them.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd go so far as to outright call it "weird", but I find it "different". I have no food allergies and am not a picky eater, so I'll eat pretty much anything served to me, however it's served. Sometimes things are served with stuff that I wouldn't put on it if I was preparing it myself, but I won't pick them off/out - I'll just eat them. I can't think of any common food item I dislike enough to bother with removing from a meal if it's already there.

I have one friend who's super picky about his food. He digs through everything and removes half of his meal before he deems it satisfactory to eat. I always tease him, "Are you going to eat your food, or just play with it???"
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    No need to feel weird. Nothing wrong with asking if a dish can be altered more to your liking. I do that all the time and I've never had a waiter / waitress ask me why. THAT to me seems like the weird thing. It's not really any of their business and keep in mind that that's not a usual occurrence so don't let that stop you from making requests at restaurants in the future.

They ask why because if there is a food allergy they would make it in a "cheese free zone" so you don't go into anaphylactic shock bc your food touched dairy or what ever else you're requesting removed. It's fine to say you dislike something, but they don't have to go through the same safety precautions.