Non dairy milk

Options
Determinedtoloseliz
Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I have recently stopped drinking milk, and went straight to almond milk.
I went away and had to use soya milk as the others were really expensive. I found my porridge to be a lot more creamy and it tasted really nice. But I have heard lots of mixed things about soy but I don't have more than 150ml of milk a day. However I also sometimes eat quorn etc which also has soy so I don't want to consume to much.

There are so many non dairy milks - soya, almond, hazelnut, oat, coconut, rice...

My question is which non dairy milk is best, nutritionally and if possible taste wise.

Thanks

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Soy has more protein than almond milk (mostly water).
    Soy milk is a safe substitute for cow milk. :)
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    (The American Institute for Cancer Research)

Soy foods contain several key nutrients and phytochemicals studied for their cancer prevention properties. Many soy foods also contain dietary fiber, which links to lower risk of colorectal cancer. Soy foods contain isoflavones, which are phytoestrogens that in some ways mimic the action of estrogen. Because high levels of estrogen link to increased breast cancer risk, there was a fear that soy foods – and its isoflavones – may increase risk. Yet overall, human studies show soy foods do not increase risk and in some cases, research suggests they may lower it.

I know the fear was that if you had the breast cancer gene that soy could trigger it to start, but I have actually yet to hear of it happening. They still however suggest moderation as with most other things.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    (The American Institute for Cancer Research)

Soy foods contain several key nutrients and phytochemicals studied for their cancer prevention properties. Many soy foods also contain dietary fiber, which links to lower risk of colorectal cancer. Soy foods contain isoflavones, which are phytoestrogens that in some ways mimic the action of estrogen. Because high levels of estrogen link to increased breast cancer risk, there was a fear that soy foods – and its isoflavones – may increase risk. Yet overall, human studies show soy foods do not increase risk and in some cases, research suggests they may lower it.

I know the fear was that if you had the breast cancer gene that soy could trigger it to start, but I have actually yet to hear of it happening. They still however suggest moderation as with most other things.

The information about plant estrogen being linked to the estrogen in HER2 breast cancer has been debunked. Here is a link to the oncology nutritional website.

https://www.oncologynutrition.org/erfc/hot-topics/soy-and-breast-cancer
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I would drink the soy.
    At least it has some protein.
    Almond milk is just a .37 cent serving of almonds with water in a carton.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I like vanilla soy milk best for protein content, but it is higher in cals.

on the days when i just need a milk substitute and super low cals i'll go for coconut milk/rice milk mix (like this), almond breeze, or rice milk.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Really it just depends on what you like the best. I like cashew milk as a replacement for anything that needs to be richer (recipes that call for cream or half and half or anything going for a cheesy taste), but the kids prefer almond milk in their cereal...for milk replacements in pudding or lattes or most desserts I like coconut milk best, but will happily take soy if out at a coffee shop since that's the most common non-dairy offering...they are all about the same price at food lion for the half gallon size, and they keep for months in the refrigerator, not that they ever last that long in my house...they are all a bit different nutritionally, it depends of what your goal is as to which is "best" for you...soy has the most protein, I think coconut and cashew have the lowest sugar/carbs...not sure what you are looking for, but I wouldn't worry overmuch about all the soy hype if you are using organic soy...I think it's like the egg thing, in another decade they will be saying it's really good for you after all...when you look at cultures that traditionally eat a lot of soy, you don't see a huge amount of health problems despite all the bad publicity soy is getting.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have recently stopped drinking milk, and went straight to almond milk.
    I went away and had to use soya milk as the others were really expensive. I found my porridge to be a lot more creamy and it tasted really nice. But I have heard lots of mixed things about soy but I don't have more than 150ml of milk a day. However I also sometimes eat quorn etc which also has soy so I don't want to consume to much.

There are so many non dairy milks - soya, almond, hazelnut, oat, coconut, rice...

My question is which non dairy milk is best, nutritionally and if possible taste wise.

Thanks

Taste-wise is going to be totally subjective, dude.

I hate nuts - so something that tastes very nutty will earn a negative score from me. Someone who loves the taste of almonds, on the other hand, might truly love the nuttiness of almond milk. I also believe that one's preference for the "taste" of a milk is also partially guided by thickness. Something with an alright taste but unusual/unwanted texture will generally be described as "tasting weird".

I always buy vanilla-flavored milks because, unless I'm using milk for a dinner, I prefer to have them be sweet. I used to love soy milk, but stopped drinking it because my body apparently became more sensitive to soy. I've found cashew milk to be the best thus far - less nutty-tasting and pleasantly thick. Almond milk is often a tad cheaper with fewer calories per serving.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Personally, I keep a variety of dairy free milk on hand. I have vanilla unsweetened almond and/or coconut milk for my daughter to drink since she loves chocolate milk, rice and/or cashew milk for cooking, and unsweetened almond milk for things like cereal and oatmeal. We can't do soy milk because my daughter has a soy intolerance on top of the dairy intolerance. (Or allergies, I've heard it referred to both ways by different doctors/nurses/etc.)

Taste-wise, it's going to be up to your preference. I will tell you we prefer unsweetened and we sweeten to our own tastes, plus I don't like to give my daughter too much sweet stuff anyway, but that's another issue for another day. The best thing I would say is try different brands and types until you find some you like. Plus, there are some brands that also make non dairy yogurts and cheeses if that's something else you're concerned about. I've personally found Trader Joe's line of non-dairy products to be the best for us, if there's one near you I'd definitely give them a try.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Soy? If you are a menopausal woman.

Sorry that stuff is utter crap. I do not care what report from the breast cancer research center came out. Soy in any form sucks.

phytoestrogens suck.

Home made almond milk made with fresh almonds and a cheese cloth. Unpasturized farm milk. Those are good. Otherwise cows milk is for baby cows. I am not a cow.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is quite safe for most people (ANY food may be unsafe on an individual basis). Millions of people drink soy milk and have for years and years.

Taste is a highly personal thing. Drink whichever you prefer.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Sorry that stuff is utter crap. I do not care what report from the breast cancer research center came out. Soy in any form sucks.

phytoestrogens suck.

Home made almond milk made with fresh almonds and a cheese cloth. Unpasturized farm milk. Those are good. Otherwise cows milk is for baby cows. I am not a cow.

You don't care what the research shows, you are just sure it "sucks"? Okay. That seems reasonable.

phytoestrogens suck.

Well this certainly sounds a more reasonable approach than listening to advice from a cancer research group now doesn't it? (hint: the answer is no)
    Right? Hahahaha.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I love coconut milk :)
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options

phytoestrogens suck.
    You would happen to have any citations for this nonsense, would you? Didn't think so.

Based on your flawed logic you should not drink almond milk because you are not a baby almond. Unpasteurized milk? Definitely not a good idea. http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/a-raw-milk-fiasco/
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Just drink milk, it's nice.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    angerelle wrote: »
    Just drink milk, it's nice.

No thanks.
  • tiddolski
    tiddolski Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Personally I gave up milk about a year ish ago but I tried soy milk & it made me so sick, so I just gave up on milk for a long while. But lately I've been using coconut milk for cooking, and unsweetened almond milk for smoothies. But I'm not doing that very often
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Cashew milk is pretty creamy, I like it a lot.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk. I started out using the vanilla almond milk and then I transitioned to unsweetened. It tasted a little plain at first but now it just tastes like milk to me. I'm so used to drinking almond milk that I haven't looked into other types. I like that it's only 30 calories per cup. I mostly just use it in my cereal.