Well that's strange! BF%

Options
megz4987
megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
I just found an old book I kept track of measurements in. This was from a year or so ago, before I got pregnant. It has the site I used to calculate BF% (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator) and at168lb, I have written that I had a 31.39%BF. I just did mine now, at 235lb and it's 27.95% ....

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    BMI is actually different than percent of body fat. BMI is only an estimate based on your sex, height and weight. BF% can be most accurately measured using an electronic bioimpedance device available at some gyms, chiropractic and medical offices. There is also a less accurate method of estimating body fat that uses measurements from different areas of your body.

blessings.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    My scale says I'm at 24% but i haven't looked into BFP % much yet
  • megz4987
    Options
    So acccording to them, I have an acceptable body fat% at 235lb and not at 168lb.... Yet BMI tells me I'm obese. I don't think I have that much muscle.
  • megz4987
    Options
    BMI is actually different than percent of body fat. BMI is only an estimate based on your sex, height and weight. BF% can be most accurately measured using an electronic bioimpedance device available at some gyms, chiropractic and medical offices. There is also a less accurate method of estimating body fat that uses measurements from different areas of your body.

blessings.

That's what that site does.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Not sure, have you tried other sites? I weigh 221 and am still 'obese' and I just tried the site you posted and it told me my BF % is 26.69 which is 'acceptable' according to their site. Not sure that that is very accurate.
  • megz4987
    Options
    Not sure, have you tried other sites? I weigh 221 and am still 'obese' and I just tried the site you posted and it told me my BF % is 26.69 which is 'acceptable' according to their site. Not sure that that is very accurate.

That's what I'm thinking! I'm going to find a new one. That site's SCREWY!
  • Cassielfsw
    Cassielfsw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    BMI and body fat % are not the same thing. BMI is calculated based on your weight and height and has nothing to do with how much of you is fat or muscle or anything else.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

The formula developed by the US Navy is fairly accurate. Within 3% is really the best you can hope for unless you get it professionally tested somewhere.

http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy
  • megz4987
    Options
    BMI and body fat % are not the same thing. BMI is calculated based on your weight and height and has nothing to do with how much of you is fat or muscle or anything else.

Just because the site says bmi, doesnt mean that' what it is. That link is their body fat calculator, NOT the BMI.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Thank you for passing that on. . going by that. .. I am at 27.76% body fat. .. :smile:
  • megz4987
    Options

The formula developed by the US Navy is fairly accurate. Within 3% is really the best you can hope for unless you get it professionally tested somewhere.

Well that doesn't make me feel good but thank you for the accurate link! haha
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

Thank you so much. . I followed up with this calculator and instead of reading 27.76 % as the first one did. .. it told me I have 47% which I find to be much more realistic!
  • deltamoon_22
    Options
    You cant test for body fat percentage over the internet. It has to be done with a machine. The only truly accurate way of testing for BF% is Hydrostatic Weighing . The thing with using a site is that it doesnt take into account your muscle mass, bone structure etc. You would have to go to a professional to be tested correctly.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    You cant test for body fat percentage over the internet. It has to be done with a machine. The only truly accurate way of testing for BF% is Hydrostatic Weighing . The thing with using a site is that it doesnt take into account your muscle mass, bone structure etc. You would have to go to a professional to be tested correctly.

That is why specified that here is a margin of error. The formula I provided is based on body measurements and is the exact formula the US Navy uses to determine if new recruits are “fit” enough.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator has a decent calculator for BF% it seems way more accurate than the one you used. The first one told me I have a BF% of 26% and this one tells me I'm closer to 34% (which I know is more accurate)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can always buy BF calipers for a few dollars and measure yourself. That is what I do. It is really the only way to be accurate. My scale tells me I am 10% body fat but in reality I am 12%.. Close but I like to be more exact.