How do you deal with hunger from exercising?

Options
Hey there!

So I'm big on running and will run anywhere from 20-35 miles a week. It's great for burning calories but I also get so hungry and tend to overeat. What do you guys do to curb hunger throughout the day when you exercise? Do you eat back your calories? I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back any exercise calories at all? If your calorie goal comes from MFP, it's designed for you to eat at least some of those calories back. If you're running a lot (and you are), it's important to fuel that activity even while you are losing weight.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry after exercise I eat back my exercise calories ( not all of them).
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    If you got your goal from a TDEE calculator then it includes exercise, but if you got your goal from mfp it does not include exercise and you should be eating back a portion of those exercise calories. You need to fuel your workouts. I walk and usually eat back about 80% of my exercise calories or else I lose at a faster rate than expected. Most people say to start with 50% of the exercise calories to adjust for any overestimation. If you are running 20-35 miles a week and you are hungry then you need to eat more.
  • tkahline
    tkahline Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you are drinking enough water. Sometimes what is really hunger is actually thirst. If you are hungry, drink 1-2 glasses of water and wait 30-45 minutes. If you are still hungry, then eat a small snack. You don't want to eat back your exercise calories if you want to lose weight, but you also need to make sure you are eating enough (especially protein).
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I try to exercise within 30 minutes to an hour after a meal (usually breakfast), so the cravings aren't as likely to rear their head. I also have a small snack (usually fruit and a cheese stick) after exercising.

I usually eat back all my calories in excess of my 500 calorie deficit. I know many people on MFP are opposed to eating back calories, but I have a Fitbit, and its calorie burn estimate has proved to be fairly accurate over the last year. I feel comfortable eating back any excess calories listed on MFP.
  • izzyh90
    izzyh90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Protein shake!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Since you are training towards another half marathon, I would highly suggest not being on a strict cut while you are training, and certainly not in the last few weeks before the race. I speak from experience--I ran my first half while cutting, and while my time wasn't horrible (sub-2 hours), I took nearly 15 minutes off when I ran my next while properly fueled. I try to only eat back about 50% of the calories I "earn" from running--this works well for me and helps me balance between tracking what I eat and not being overly obsessive about weighing my food. Try dividing your daily allotment over a few smaller meals and snacks over the course of the day, and make sure you're getting adequate protein. Drinking plenty of water, while not only helping you maintain hydration, will also help differentiate between emotional hunger and/or thirst and true hunger. Good luck!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Eating more times per day helps a lot for me.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    My basic rule: If I'm TRULY hungry (not bored, upset, uncomfortable, etc), then I eat. To me hunger is my body's way of saying I need something, and I don't say no. I make good choices, and if I go over that day, I go over.

This strategy has helped me drop 12# and 4% BF in the past couple of months without ever being uncomfortable. To me allowing yourself to be hungry is not a sustainable technique.

Here's some of my choices:

Protein shake after every workout.
    Carrots and Hummus (only 80 calories!).
    Almonds.
    Water (helps more than you think).
    Greek yogurt and granola.

Good luck!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Give yourself little to no deficit. I give myself 90 calories for every mile I run and it's worked well for me.
  • she800hunter2014
    she800hunter2014 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Protein! When your starving or craving eat healthy protein and vegetables. If I go over my calories a day and I am still hungry at the end of the day I have protein in any form, by doing this I still lose weight.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I eat back exercise calories. If I do very heavy exercise then I don't eat them all back that day as I don't get hungry enough, but I will probably eat them back over the next few days. I keep an eye on average net calories more than daily goals.

Eating at a deficit AND doing heavy exercise without eating it back will give a deficit which is too large in my opinion. I'm aiming to lose weight slowly and sustainably, and I'm not going to starve myself if there's no need to.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I always have pre and post workout snacks that include both carb & protein.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I eat back all my exercise calories. Earlier in the year when my marathon training ramped up I went up to maintenance, because I found I couldn't do the distances I needed to on a deficit. I usually have half a pint of semi skimmed milk after a long run, and keep cashews in my work drawer for the afternoons after I run in the week, I found I was getting a bit dragonish when I got home if I hadn't had a proper snack...
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    My basic rule: If I'm TRULY hungry (not bored, upset, uncomfortable, etc), then I eat. To me hunger is my body's way of saying I need something, and I don't say no. I make good choices, and if I go over that day, I go over.

Every bit of this.

I've stopped counting my calories a long time ago and am trying to be in maintenance for the summer (because a deficit isn't good for my endurance cardio goals or for building muscles) so now I go by hunger more than calorie counts.

When I do a hard exercise I'll have a protein/fat/carb smoothie afterwards. I use raspberries, milk or half and half, protein powder, and other good stuff.
  • roguesixx
    roguesixx Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I mix two heaped table spoons of Food Grade DE with a pint of water and chug it follwed by a small glass of plain water as it leaves your mouth chalky. It kills my appetite and gives me energy and it doesn't contain any calories or nasties just pure minerals.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I do similar mileage. If I can have a substantial snack or meal after a run, that helps keep me from getting too hungry. I have to stay ahead of the hunger.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I eat.
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Preparation of food prior to training would help you immensely. Leave it ready to eat soon as you get home. Drink water to hold you over till you get back home to eat.