Heart Rate Monitor Question - Polar

Options
Hi Everyone

I had to go out this evening walking, which took 78 minutes. I thought I'd wear my HRM so I could log the calories, once I got home the HRM said that I'd burned 595 calories (over double what it should have been if I go by the MFP figures). So I have a couple of questions....

1) I know my HRM is wrong so what could cause it to be? Its a Polar FT40f. Could it be something as simple as the batteries or something more serious

2) I have a terrible cold (I shouldn't really have been out; I should have been tucked up on my sofa) so I was expecting my HR to be higher than usual - I was also wondering if anyone knows how much having a cold can effect your HR

Thanks In advance

Replies

• McKnightAM
    McKnightAM Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    MFP isn't necessarily accurate. People add the exercises themselves and everyone burns calories differently so your HRM would be more accurate.
  • JustBill
    JustBill Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Why do you think the HRM is wrong? At what pace were you walking? Did you check your pulse periodically and compare to the HRM?

MFP is a best guess estimate... it has absolutely no way of knowing what you actually burned. I'd believe the HRM over MFP every single time.
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    I think to be honest, it depends on your speed, if you were at a good speed you could of burnt that many calories depending on many varients. The trouble comparing to MFP is you dont have a speed to put in, your only guessing where as the HRM should be right
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Maybe take that number and subtract the number of calories you would burn just living through those 78 minutes?

595 - 1.3*(BMR/24)

But I would also like to see the other responses.
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    Bump
  • MelsDiet
    MelsDiet Posts: 69
    Options
    I think the HRM was wrong as it's usually nearly spot on with what the MFP system comes up with!

Also at one point it read my HR as being 200+

I was just walking at a standard pace.
  • Pete_Mann
    Pete_Mann Posts: 94
    Options
    I have never had MFP match up with my exercise numbers. Either by using what's on the machine or since I got the heart rate monitor. Since this is a one time thing, I'd just go with the HRM. If you think its off in the long term, that would take some time to hash out.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    do you maybe need to readjust the user input like your weight if you recently lost weight?

Were the chest strap electrodes wet enough adn inthe right position on your skin?

it seems like for that long of a walk you must have burned a lot of calories

Was your target heart rate and resting heart rate accurately set in the beginning of setting up the monitor?
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Let's see, I burned 301 calories per my FT7f in 26 min on the treadmill yesterday walking 3.6mph (very brisk) on a 6.0 incline. I changed it to 75 minutes and it gave me 865 calories. My HR is a bit higher than normal also due to Adderal (I'm guessing similar to an increase due to being sick), so your 500+ figure given less incline is probably spot on.
  • MelsDiet
    Options
    Thanks Everyone, I can't think if the strap would have been wet enough or in place proberly! I wasn't really thinking about it, being so ill I just sort of when onto autopilot! Also I have lost weight, I think it may still be set to 58kg whereas Im now 56.5kg.

Think I'll try it again tomorrow when Im feeling better and more 'with it' and see what it says.
  • Sparrow_Feet
    Sparrow_Feet Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hiya...

So, you weighed in today under 9st didn't you? Well, for someone as light as you I agree that it's too high and not accurate this time. Normally your HRM will be the best reading on calorie burn, providing your age, weight etc is right in the settings. My HRM gave a funny reading, similar to yours a couple of weeks go. At one point it read that my heart rate was over 200 when I was resting at Circuit Training. I knew it was wrong. Mine uses a chest strap to read the heart rate and sometimes inaccurate readings can result from not wetting the sensors enough. Additionally, it can misread if the strap needs a freshen up as, sorry to sound gross, but sweat can crystallise on it and affect the transmission. Other possible causes could be battery in your sender. The watch itself should show when the batter is low.

Hope that helps! :-)

x
  • MelsDiet
    Options
    Hiya...

So, you weighed in today under 9st didn't you? Well, for someone as light as you I agree that it's too high and not accurate this time. Normally your HRM will be the best reading on calorie burn, providing your age, weight etc is right in the settings. My HRM gave a funny reading, similar to yours a couple of weeks go. At one point it read that my heart rate was over 200 when I was resting at Circuit Training. I knew it was wrong. Mine uses a chest strap to read the heart rate and sometimes inaccurate readings can result from not wetting the sensors enough. Additionally, it can misread if the strap needs a freshen up as, sorry to sound gross, but sweat can crystallise on it and affect the transmission. Other possible causes could be battery in your sender. The watch itself should show when the batter is low.

Hope that helps! :-)

x

Yes this morning I was 8st 13lbs although I haven't logged it due to my "weigh-in" being tomorrow!
    Glad Im not the only one that's had a crazy 200+ reading! My highest ever reading was once 188 but I was running at the time! Think I'll go give the strap a freshen up and check all the info in the watch is set correct.
    Hopefully once Ive done that it'll start giving me a normal reading again!
    Thanks Again :-)
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    One thing I noticed with my Polar F4T is when I go outside my heart rate goes up more because of the humidity. I don't know why that is but maybe when it is hot out your heart has to work harder.